My Buddy Wants a Sound Bar

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He found couple open box for a little under $200 at a local B&M store. A Polk and a Samsung. His budget is under $200 and he doesn't have a receiver.

You guys know me, he knows me. He asked about them by prefacing it with "can you suspend your hatred of sound bars and tell me which you would get?". I told him I'd look into it. I have no experience with sound bars tho. Any suggestions in the under $200 category?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
He found couple open box for a little under $200 at a local B&M store. A Polk and a Samsung. His budget is under $200 and he doesn't have a receiver.

You guys know me, he knows me. He asked about them by prefacing it with "can you suspend your hatred of sound bars and tell me which you would get?". I told him I'd look into it. I have no experience with sound bars tho. Any suggestions in the under $200 category?
I don't know too much about them either, I have heard the Vizio, If (and that is a big IF) I wanted a SB, I would look at those first, the ones with the wireless sub.

https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3821-C6-Subwoofer-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01LW94FFN/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1499101099&sr=1-1&keywords=vizio+sound+bar

https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3851-C0-Wireless-Subwoofer-Satellite/dp/B00SMBGGV6/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1499101178&sr=1-3&keywords=vizio+sound+bar

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
In my limited research and experience, I'd say in that price range they're not going to be much different from each other. I think "good" soundbars are in the 1k range. Why soundbar? I'm guess the simplicity and lack of wires. Speaking only for myself, I'd rather buy an Onkyo HTIB for 200 bucks off Amazon and have a compromised surround system vs any sound bar on the planet. Hell, I'd even hit the pawn shop or eBay for a stereo receiver and 20 dollar infinity bookshelf speakers first. He will however get better sound from a soundbar than the tv. Sorry buddy, you'll have to use Google fu and read reviews of soundbars. S&V has done a few fwiw. Actually AH might have some posted. Never checked! Lmao.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In my limited research and experience, I'd say in that price range they're not going to be much different from each other. I think "good" soundbars are in the 1k range. Why soundbar? I'm guess the simplicity and lack of wires. Speaking only for myself, I'd rather buy an Onkyo HTIB for 200 bucks off Amazon and have a compromised surround system vs any sound bar on the planet. Hell, I'd even hit the pawn shop or eBay for a stereo receiver and 20 dollar infinity bookshelf speakers first. He will however get better sound from a soundbar than the tv. Sorry buddy, you'll have to use Google fu and read reviews of soundbars. S&V has done a few fwiw. Actually AH might have some posted. Never checked! Lmao.
I did not know you could find a HTIB for 200 or lower. I'm thinking it would be all in the amp/receiver. What does that leave for speakers? :eek:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay. He's not married to a sound bar. His budget is the biggest reason. He also just told me a friend might be donating a receiver to him. I'm pushing Dennis' AA's for that route.

He'd be happy with a shelf system, pair of decent bookshelf speakers... anything is better than what he has now. Assuming the receiver falls through for him, is there much that can be done for $200?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ideally, talk him into a pair of JBL lsr305's for $300.

I can add some more options, but have not heard them. I'd use Amazon Reviews as a reference.

I'd agree that the Vizeo seem pretty good value. Check Sam's club, Costco, BJ's, etc for options. Also Walmart sometimes surprises by having the best deals on line (easily true for TV's, anyway).
Then there is A4L:
http://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=soundbars&skip_redirect_suffix=&view_id=61c4b0b937d7a7b2881d2ab48a457b4c9cfc7968&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Kurt. If he can score the avr for free, those jbls are great. I still like the secondary market. I love the pawn for electronics.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Okay. He's not married to a sound bar. His budget is the biggest reason. He also just told me a friend might be donating a receiver to him. I'm pushing Dennis' AA's for that route.

He'd be happy with a shelf system, pair of decent bookshelf speakers... anything is better than what he has now. Assuming the receiver falls through for him, is there much that can be done for $200?
Two other options

Sony Core bookshelf
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-3-Driver-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00O8YLMVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499119960&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+core+bookshelf

Cambridge SX-50
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambsx50dwa/cambridge-audio-sx50-5.25-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-dark-walnut-pair/1.html

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm working him over. I suggested The AA's and a Denon S510BT I found at AC4L for $150. he's thinking about it.

I'll show him the other speaker options too. I've read the JBL's are really good.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You should demo your system for him. Throw him straight into the rabbit hole!!!!!!! He hears that, there'll be no going back.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If money is a big factor, this is a good deal at $120 (the 20% discount is taken after you put it in the shopping cart).
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionvsx530k/pioneer-vsx-530-k-5.1-ch-x-80-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html
Nice find Kurt! Money is the only factor. He'll drop 500 on a new gun in a heartbeat, but he's balking at spending 300+ on audio. I'm telling him that I'm trying to get him into something that he'll actually want to keep and maybe even take a little pride in. "Look at it like a one time expense that you'll actually want to keep. Not a disposable sound bar. Add to it if you want. If not, you're pretty set." I sent him the link for that receiver. I'm really pushing the aa's. I'm pretty sure he's never had speakers of that caliber.

@William Lemmerhirt, he lives in Ohio. Good friend, but he can't just pop over here and check it out.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If the free receiver option falls thru and Pio Kurt linked is outside of budget, I'd recommend to scour local Craigslist. Lots of folks want Atmos, 4k etc and perfectly fine receiver without em could be found as low as $50 (or haggled down to near that price). I'd suggest stick to usual suspects: Yamaha, Denon and Marantz. Others I'd consider are Integra and Pioneer Elite series.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Sony cores I've read enough about to know they're legit. The Cambridge catches my eye. It's a nice looking speaker.

Hey, what about the Andrew Jones Pioneers? I'll Google 'em up. I seem to remember them being less than the aa's. I'm still lobbying hard for the aa's. I think he'll be pretty surprised if I can talk him into them.

*Edit: Looks like the AJ speakers are a little more actually...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Sony cores I've read enough about to know they're legit. The Cambridge catches my eye. It's a nice looking speaker.

Hey, what about the Andrew Jones Pioneers? I'll Google 'em up. I seem to remember them being less than the aa's. I'm still lobbying hard for the aa's. I think he'll be pretty surprised if I can talk him into them.

*Edit: Looks like the AJ speakers are a little more actually...
The Sony and Cambridge will be in a higher league (sound-wise) over the Pioneer speakers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis