Status
Not open for further replies.
bigus

bigus

Audioholic
OUR True intentions are to provide GOOD advice for newbs. When a newb sees your advice and wastes their $ on silly cables, it does a disservice to the entire hobby. That person will lose interest quickly and then not contribute to the hobby. We all suffer for this non-sense that you insist on pushing on this site, where it is absolutely NOT welcomed.

1) Take up the bet with Jinjuku. You like to ignore that, because deep down, you know that you would lose that bet and look like the fool that you are!
2) Instead of spending that $ on wires or cables, reallocate the $ to Instead of spending that $ on wires or cables, reallocate the $ to more $ on better speakers. Guaranteed improvement to be had with that approach, vs. placebo improvement with your big $ cable approach.
3) Instead of spending that $ on wires or cables, reallocate the $ to Room Treatments. Guaranteed improvement to be had with that approach, vs. placebo improvement with your big $ cable approach.

Really?
Room treatment can be more expensive than cables.
Try some curtains. Or better yet, moving your speakers around.
It's cheaper.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Room treatment can be more expensive than cables.
Since cables do nothing (with the usual bla bla about sufficient gauge and quality needed for the application) that makes room treatment the desirable alternative.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
back to business,
I've been checking out these cables for close to 2 months.

Tara Labs RSC Air 3 is an excellent cable.
Not quite the highs of WL but the mid range is silky smooth and the soundstage is wide. I still prefer the Red Dawn.
Red Dawn has a better highs, mid range and bass attack.
It is better than White Lightning but not Red Dawn.

Audioquest Sydney is nice as well. Considering it's a couple of hundred less than the Red Dawn, it still shines. Very neutral cable.
But the soundstage is narrow even compared to WL.
It has better bass than the white lightning but mid bass is not as focused or detailed.

Last edited:
bigus

bigus

Audioholic
Me too but relying on cables for the differences is crazy man!
Not to me.
But that's just me.
I like to tweak the sound. It's like changing tubes for a different sound.
I'ts just a hobby. I have the money......
Why not.....

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Not to me.
But that's just me.
I like to tweak the sound. It's like changing tubes for a different sound.
I'ts just a hobby. I have the money......
Why not.....
Well, for one thing, Nordost has already been busted introducing artificial differences in their demos. Brief reminder. If their cables actually did provide audible results, Nordost wouldn't need to resort to such trickery and subterfuge. By all means, feel free to get scammed out of a small fortune. Just don't expect others to follow.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
Well, for one thing, Nordost has already been busted introducing artificial differences in their demos. Brief reminder. If their cables actually did provide audible results, Nordost wouldn't need to resort to such trickery and subterfuge. By all means, feel free to get scammed out of a small fortune. Just don't expect others to follow.
What "trickery or subterfuge" are you talking about....?

jinjuku

jinjuku

What "trickery or subterfuge" are you talking about....?
The same trick the AudioQuest HDMI demo was caught out doing. Using manipulated tracks with higher output that they only used for playback on the higher costs HDMI cables.

I'll be actively pruning the thread of outlandish claims btw and I've already started.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
A reviewer that hears no difference can't win.
Some audiophiles will say:

a] Your audio equipment isn't good enough.
b] Your ears aren't good enough.
c] It's a self fulfilling expectation.

Yet these same audiophiles have little interest in demonstrating that they can in fact hear a difference.
I just read an article on a similar audio topic where golden ears often claim to hear extraordinary things.
This article clearly shows that in 100 years of audio testing, no golden ear has ever demonstrated the ability in a DBT to achieve the claims often made in the article. Not in 100 years.

Yet, the golden eared crowd continues to not only boast of claims they can't possibly support, but they keep foisting up unsupported positions as if they were fact. Just today there was a post on this very topic by a member of the golden eared crowd : silver cables showing audible benefits over copper cables.

As long as the laws of physics apply, silver cables won't have any audible differences from good copper cables. As long as manufacturers make dubious products and make very descriptive and wishful claims there will be people buying that stuff and telling the rest of us we simply "don't get it".

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just like the rest of the interweb buck, people can say anything they want and not have to back it up.

S

Strum und Drang

Enthusiast
This is what happens with your cables. It is your brain playing a trick on you as you know you have different cable and you expect a difference. There is no difference in cables as all of them have to follow laws of physics.
I would only partly agree with this statement. If the speaker cable is a simple, multi-strand OFC product, we are dealing with a generic/commodity. So, I would expect 14 gauge OFC by MediaBridge to be very similar to 14 gauge OFC by Monoprice.

But, with exotic cables, are they merely dressing up copper wire to make it look pretty or are they doing things that actually color and change the sound? For example Music Interface Technologies (MIT) puts an interface (filter?) in the middle of their speaker wires. Many audiophiles buy this or that speaker cable because they are using it to tweak the sound of their system. And they try to match warm sounding cables with bright sounding speakers, etc. to tame the speakers. Or, they will say, do not use this or that amp with those speakers. How much their opinions are real or imagined, who knows? Supposedly the speakers I bought were "too bright" for some ears. I did find them brighter than my old JBL bookshelf speakers, but definitely not "too bright." That is good, because I could not afford to buy some $2,000 MIT speaker cables to warm my speakers down.

I want my speaker wires to accurately convey what my amp is doing and input that into my speakers. I do not want my speaker wires to dial in, tweak, nor color the sound. There is much more control buying an eq.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would only partly agree with this statement. If the speaker cable is a simple, multi-strand OFC product, we are dealing with a generic/commodity. So, I would expect 14 gauge OFC by MediaBridge to be very similar to 14 gauge OFC by Monoprice.

But, with exotic cables, are they merely dressing up copper wire to make it look pretty or are they doing things that actually color and change the sound? For example Music Interface Technologies (MIT) puts an interface (filter?) in the middle of their speaker wires. Many audiophiles buy this or that speaker cable because they are using it to tweak the sound of their system. And they try to match warm sounding cables with bright sounding speakers, etc. to tame the speakers. Or, they will say, do not use this or that amp with those speakers. How much their opinions are real or imagined, who knows? Supposedly the speakers I bought were "too bright" for some ears. I did find them brighter than my old JBL bookshelf speakers, but definitely not "too bright." That is good, because I could not afford to buy some $2,000 MIT speaker cables to warm my speakers down.

I want my speaker wires to accurately convey what my amp is doing and input that into my speakers. I do not want my speaker wires to dial in, tweak, nor color the sound. There is much more control buying an eq.
Speaker cable is supposed to deliver signal unchanged. If the signal changes because of cable imo the cable is faulty in this case. Of course if the cable is made so it will change the sound with filter then it can do so. But in most cases the cables are just claimed to deliver more pure signal and what not non sense.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What really upsets me is the money these audiophools will spend on cables that could do some actual good put into my system!

Does anyone wanna buy my cables for $500/ft? I'll swear they sound better than regular cables, stick 'em in my freezer for month and rub them on the carpet to get rid of any static charge. I can even fashion lifters out of some clothespins I have that will hold the cables off the floor, whatever that's supposed to do. Also willing to make outlandish claims that defy their physical properties... I want a new receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis