10k budget for mains

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Hey,

Wondering if I can get your advice on an upgrade in main speakers. Now, I am listening to Totem Forests.

I've looked at PSB imagine T3 - Pretty good!
Used B&W 802 - Better than the PSB!
Saw some Wilson Audio Sophia 2s used for $8700 a few hours away from me.
Legacy Focus SE
Totem Wind Design Used - 10kish - I think they are better than the Imagine T3 and caparable to the B&W802

Does any one of these pop out from the rest?

Any other ideas that I should keep an eye on or consider?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Lots of good choices within that budget. PSB and Legacy are solid brands. I would also be looking at Monitor Audio, Kef, Dali, Revel, among others. If you can boost your budget a bit, I would be looking at soundfield audio dipole 1s. If you have some good subwoofers, I would be looking at Janszen or Audiokinesis.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You have to be honest with yourself and ask yourself if the potential new speakers truly sound THAT much better than your current speakers. :)

Or is the grass just greener on the other side? :D

It is very subjective. You've seen polls on what people think are the "best" speakers. The poll results are all over creation. :)

You ask 100 guys. You get 100 different speakers.

What are your objectives? Aesthetic? Pride of ownership/resale value? Popularity? Detail/resolution? Bass?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
th[3].jpg
It's your ears and your money; but, over all, what you get for the kind of money you have to spend is the ability to fill a relatively big listening room with very realistic sound pressure levels which will not seem strained. You can actually get a good result for a whole lot less than what you have budgeted and there are some speakers that come to mind that are more expensive than you have budgeted; however, since the only thing that's actually expensive is making a mistake, you might want to spend for what you really want rather than a temporary substitute, because, after-all, the speakers you choose could last a lifetime, providing a lifetime of enjoyment. At any rate, you might want to audition the JBL Synthesis 4367, which go for about $15,000 a pair, as well as the JBL 590, which I've seen sale priced for about $1000 a pair.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There was recently a pair of Salk SoundScape 10's for sale just under $10k. You won't find anything that sounds any better at that price.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=136509.0

Check these out...
+1
I didn't hear the SS10's, but I did hear SS8 and at 8k+ new imo there are best speaker I ever heard including B&W 802D, Wilsons and few other hi-end models.
https://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/salk-sound-2012-get-together
https://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/audioholics-2012-gtg-report (better photos here, mine actually)

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
Im not in that price category, but I am in the $5k range. I auditioned probably 14 pairs of speakers from many different brands and ended up ordering Salk Song3's with no audition. Why? Mostly because of user reviews, Audioholic's review of Jim's speakers, and mostly because of Jim's philosophy...which is, a speaker should not color the sound at all. That is his core when he designs speakers. To me, that is the ultimate goal of a perfect speaker. Flat, with no coloration. That way you hear what was recorded and nothing else.

Now, I may be a small guppy in the large pond of audiophilia, and dont claim to be any more knowledgeable than anyone else. With that said, the work ethic and the sound goal that Jim puts into his designs, in my mind, is perfect.

Soundscapes have been mentioned, and the 8's are $8995, and thats with standard finish. If you review any of his speakers you will find many people saying the speakers are the most beautiful piece of furniture in their house!

OK, in conclusion, Im not trying to be a Salk fan boy here. Im just sharing my experiences in speaker selection and recommending you take a look at Salks.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
+1
I didn't hear the SS10's, but I did hear SS8 and at 8k+ new imo there are best speaker I ever heard including B&W 802D, Wilsons and few other hi-end models.
https://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/salk-sound-2012-get-together
https://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/audioholics-2012-gtg-report (better photos here, mine actually)
10's have the same sound, they just dig a little deeper with that huge bass section. I went the cheap route and got these used. They sound better than they look and I have the matching center and sub.
ht3-ebony02.jpg

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I've heard Salk speakers 4 times at different shows. 3 of the 4 combinations sounded mediocre at best, 1 sounded good. I don't know which models or any details because it has been a while, but based on my experiences with them, I wouldn't buy a pair.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've heard Salk speakers 4 times at different shows. 3 of the 4 combinations sounded mediocre at best, 1 sounded good. I don't know which models or any details because it has been a while, but based on my experiences with them, I wouldn't buy a pair.
Hocky, your less than informative post is less than informative
I can tell that on same AG GTG2012 - besides SS8's , Jim also brought few other speakers:
Supercharged Song Towers and Exotica Monitors - both sounded great in their own right, only if SS8 wasn't next to them. SS8 is in whole different league of sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is what I mean when I say that if you ask a 100 guys, you get a 100 different answers. :D

It is extremely subjective. :D

Everyone is different.

You should compare for yourself if you want to spend 5K-10K.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Since he is in Canada, it's tough to import speakers and be disappointed in them. I would say look at the funk towers, but they are amplified. Another option might be a pair of Nathan's stand mounts with a pair of his subs. I'm sure that would be room filling.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Since he is in Canada, it's tough to import speakers and be disappointed in them. I would say look at the funk towers, but they are amplified. Another option might be a pair of Nathan's stand mounts with a pair of his subs. I'm sure that would be room filling.
Agreed, but active speakers have some serious advantages over passive speakers, so that should be a draw. Sell the amp; active speakers are better.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
You have to be honest with yourself and ask yourself if the potential new speakers truly sound THAT much better than your current speakers. :)

What are your objectives? Aesthetic? Pride of ownership/resale value? Popularity? Detail/resolution? Bass?
All of the speakers that I mentioned sound better than what I currently have so yes, it would be an upgrade.

The Totem Forest sounds beautiful, but they are 87db sensitivity, if I am not mistaken, and they lack the immense sound that a larger full range speaker has. I am looking for a full range speaker that will fill a room of about 20 X 20 or 20 X 30 feet. I am not even sure if the Totem Wind will do that but it would do a better job than the Forest.

Pride of ownership is last priority.

Resale value is also low on the priority list but all speakers in that price range should have a good re-sale value. At least not a bad one.

I want to keep the detail of the Forest but increase the bass and over all output. Speakers like the 802 is clearly more present and powerful than my Forest.... but is more than 10k used I would think. A deal is possible. The 802s are powerful but I don't think that the imaging is as good as the Forests.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
LOL I would never spend 10k on speakers and not listen to them first. That's why this is a problem. You can only listen to what's available in the area. However, I would make a special outing weekend for some foreign speaker shopping and make a party weekend out of it.

I can listen to Legacy about 4 hrs away
I want to listen to some Wilsons and the higher end Salk Towers.
Would love to hear the Revel Salon but I don't think it's in my price range

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Agreed, but active speakers have some serious advantages over passive speakers, so that should be a draw. Sell the amp; active speakers are better.
I just bought a Mcintosh used so I think I will be keeping 'er!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
LOL I would never spend 10k on speakers and not listen to them first. That's why this is a problem. You can only listen to what's available in the area. However, I would make a special outing weekend for some foreign speaker shopping and make a party weekend out of it.

I can listen to Legacy about 4 hrs away
I want to listen to some Wilsons and the higher end Salk Towers.
Would love to hear the Revel Salon but I don't think it's in my price range
Canada is a large country, how far away are you from Salk Speakers in Pontiac, Michigan (near Detroit)? You could contact Jim Salk and arrange a visit. People have done that before.

I have heard Wilson Sophias at an audio show (if I remember, they were more than $25,000 per pair, and that was several years ago). They were painfully bright sounding. So much so, that I quickly left the room. Ever since then, I have been unimpressed by their reputation. Of course, I can only tell you what I prefer. What you prefer may or may not be similar.

In the under $10k price range, I know I would prefer the Salk SS8, HT-3, or HT2-TL speakers.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Canada is a large country, how far away are you from Salk Speakers in Pontiac, Michigan (near Detroit)? You could contact Jim Salk and arrange a visit. People have done that before.

I have heard Wilson Sophias at an audio show (if I remember, they were more than $25,000 per pair, and that was several years ago). They were painfully bright sounding. So much so, that I quickly left the room. Ever since then, I have been unimpressed by their reputation. Of course, I can only tell you what I prefer. What you prefer may or may not be similar.

In the under $10k price range, I know I would prefer the Salk SS8, HT-3, or HT2-TL speakers.
I live in Toronto so Detroit is a possibility. It's just on the other side of Toronto.

You feel the Wilson's were bright eh? I see the sophia 2s used for $8500. But they are too far to go and see.

I just looked at the Salk website and they are some sensitive speakers. Do you think would be able to fill a room about 20 X 30 feet?

If I consider the exchange rate and duties.... the 12k US SS10 is about 15000k CAD.... ouch!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis