speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not a big fan of any dynamic calibrations maybe except late night. Some love it. I'm sure you get it dialed in and get to run those favorite test files for verification :)
Yeah, I will get it dialed in when I have the time. Maybe this upcoming weekend I can got it all taken care of. Really like having my speakers and/or subs disappear in my room. Just love feeling that magic!

Cheers,

Phil

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not a big fan of any dynamic calibrations maybe except late night. Some love it. I'm sure you get it dialed in and get to run those favorite test files for verification :)
I find dynamic EQ extremely irritating except for gaming and then only for certain games. Dynamic volume is always a hard no.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I find dynamic EQ extremely irritating except for gaming and then only for certain games. Dynamic volume is always a hard no.
Thanks Alex. I will look into different settings and see what works best. Would you leave the subs X-over at 120? Just seems a bit high to me. But, it may also be my room and where they are placed too. One of these I will try to get around to taking some measurements and really see what is going on.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I also usually have to lower the gain to the 9:00 position in order to get close to 75 db. I will try to enable Dynamic EQ and disable Dynamic Volume and/or LFC and see how it sounds. Then, I will go back in a set the levels 3-6 db hot and go from there. Should I leave the sub X-over alone? At 120 Hz they are going to be more localized. Thanks for the tips Peng! it is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil
That is an interesting question. Audyssey, any versions, have never set crossovers that high for my speakers, not even when I had small book shelf speakers. I think your ref monitors should be capable down to 60/70 Hz so 80 to 90 Hz would be more in line. If you did follow proper setup procedures, then I think you should try to move the monitors a few inches, say closer to the corners/back walls, and then re-run Audyssey to see what happens. If you room is small enough you probably can get away with running just 3 to 5 positions to save time.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Alex. I will look into different settings and see what works best. Would you leave the subs X-over at 120? Just seems a bit high to me. But, it may also be my room and where they are placed too. One of these I will try to get around to taking some measurements and really see what is going on.

Cheers,

Phil
Totally room and placement dependent. I have mine set to 120 currently because that yields the flattest response.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Me neither, that's why I suggested he disable dynamic volume and dynamic frequency control, but dynamic EQ is an excellent and high performance feature. ADTG owns high end (or similar:D) gear than mine yet he also has DEQ on all the time, or most of the time if I got it right.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It can be, but I think it depends.. I only use it for low, say below 75dB level but that's only because I rarely listen to anything higher than 75 dB average. Its effect does decrease as you crank the volume up. There is no harm for him to try though as he may or may not like it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG owns high end (or similar:D) gear than mine yet he also has DEQ on all the time, or most of the time if I got it right.
I have Audyssey Dynamic EQ On, Audyssey Bypass L/R On, & Dynamic Volume OFF exactly 100% of the time for all volume, all media, 2CH, & 5.1. :D

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That is an interesting question. Audyssey, any versions, have never set crossovers that high for my speakers, not even when I had small book shelf speakers. I think your ref monitors should be capable down to 60/70 Hz so 80 to 90 Hz would be more in line. If you did follow proper setup procedures, then I think you should try to move the monitors a few inches, say closer to the corners/back walls, and then re-run Audyssey to see what happens. If you room is small enough you probably can get away with running just 3 to 5 positions to save time.
The 120 Hz X-over setting is on my subs. The Taylos were set to small which means an 80 Hz X-over for them. At least, that is the way I understand it. If speakers are set to "small", then the X-over point is always 80 hz, no? The Taylos can easily play down to 60 hz no problems. But, the Ultras do have more low end than the Taylos. Did NOT mean to confuse you Peng. So, should I leave the X-over of 120 Hz that was set for my subs? Can always adjust it some and see how it sounds. My guess is, I will set it lower than 120 hz.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Totally room and placement dependent. I have mine set to 120 currently because that yields the flattest response.
Perhaps Audyssey is doing the same for me. The 120 Hz X-over may lead to a flatter response. Will rerun Audyssey over the weekend and see what it does. Thanks for the tips!

Cheers,

Phil

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Perhaps Audyssey is doing the same for me. The 120 Hz X-over may lead to a flatter response. Will rerun Audyssey over the weekend and see what it does. Thanks for the tips!

Cheers,

Phil
I was skeptical at first since I've never trusted Audyssey before, but I ran measurements from the main LP at all crossover points from 40-120 and 120 was clearly the flattest and that was what Audyssey had set it to. Audyssey may not always be right, but in the case it seems like it was for me.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Usually, when I am tweaking I will use my ACDC Back In Black cd because it is recorded very well. Lots of kick drums in it.
FWIW, standard kick drums do not go below 50Hz. Bass gets down to 40Hz. 88-key piano down to 27.5Hz.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The 120 Hz X-over setting is on my subs.
No sir!
Your AVR is managing your crossover. You do not want the crossover filter of the sub interfering with that. Set the sub to the highest setting it offers (I think 150Hz).
FWIW, SVS's Merlin suggests 80Hz using Audyssey for the Taylo's.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
No sir!
Your AVR is managing your crossover. You do not want the crossover filter of the sub interfering with that. Set the sub to the highest setting it offers (I think 150Hz).
That's fine for a place to start, but to just suggest a crossover (merlin not you) without any consideration of the small room acoustics is like, as Louis CK would say, "A blind d!ck, thrusting in infinite directions hoping to find paydirt someplace." :D :p

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Me neither, that's why I suggested he disable dynamic volume and dynamic frequency control, but dynamic EQ is an excellent and high performance feature. ADTG owns high end (or similar:D) gear than mine yet he also has DEQ on all the time, or most of the time if I got it right.
If he still does it with a dedicated theater I'll off myself :D with 5 of those or TLSs I'd have my own private orchestra every morning.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
No sir!
I have the X-over on my subs set to the highest position. Audyssey set a 120 Hz X-over for my subs. I would think that 80 Hz is about right with respect to the Taylos. Maybe I can experiment around some tomorrow. Been very busy today. Will try to determine which sounds better to my ears. Thanks for the info Kurt.

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The 120 Hz X-over setting is on my subs. The Taylos were set to small which means an 80 Hz X-over for them. At least, that is the way I understand it. If speakers are set to "small", then the X-over point is always 80 hz, no? The Taylos can easily play down to 60 hz no problems. But, the Ultras do have more low end than the Taylos. Did NOT mean to confuse you Peng. So, should I leave the X-over of 120 Hz that was set for my subs? Can always adjust it some and see how it sounds. My guess is, I will set it lower than 120 hz.

Cheers,

Phil
I also had my XO at 120Hz even when I had Salon2 & 802D.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I also had my XO at 120Hz even when I had Salon2 & 802D.
It must be room related. My guess is for a flatter response at the MLP. Going to rerun Audyssey and experiment with the settings some and see what sounds best to my ears. Only have to please myself which makes it kind of nice. :D:D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Cheers,

Phil
So you are not talking about crossover, but the LPF for the LFE channel. You kind of confused me when you referred to it as "X over". In that case, 120 Hz is the correct setting. You could try 150 Hz but it most likely won't make any difference. You should not set it lower than 120 though or you will give up some contents in the LFE channel.

The LPF setting has nothing to do with bass management as it affects the LFE channel only. Please follow the link below to read the response by Chris Kyriakakis.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/321931-LPF-on-LFE

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
So you are not talking about crossover, but the LPF for the LFE channel. You kind of confused me when you referred to it as "X over". In that case, 120 Hz is the correct setting. You could try 150 Hz but it most likely won't make any difference. You should not set it lower than 120 though or you will give up some contents in the LFE channel.

The LPF setting has nothing to do with bass management as it affects the LFE channel only. Please follow the link below to read the response by Chris Kyriakakis.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/321931-LPF-on-LFE
It would not be the first time I confused you....LOL!!! Yeah, I was referring to the LFE. So, just leave it at 120 then? I usually go back in and change it to 80-90 Hz. Not a good idea eh? Will read up on your link. Thanks Peng!

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis