speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, as some of you know I have had a rather significant snag in the road as of late. To be honest, I have actually had (2) major set-backs. One being financial and the other being in my health. Got a real wake up call today from one of my doctors. Lets just say he merely scolded me, but did put things into perspective.

Since these issues are very personal, I rather NOT get into the details too deep. But, I had no choice but to return the Linbrooks. Hence, if I kept them was going to need a good 2-channel outboard amp of some sorts. Not to mention, some better stands. Due to my set-backs, I simply chose to send them back. Luckily, Ty was very nice about it and refunded me minus $95. That was a step in the right direction imho. Really hated to send them back though.

Just recently, I sold my SVS Ultra Bookshelfs as a means to help fund the purchase of the Linbrooks. Let me just say, selling the Ultras was a BIG mistake on my part. Nothing I can do about that now. However, my first inclination was to put ALL of my gear up for sale. That way, I could then pay off some of my debts thus bringing some relief.

For the time being, I am going to try to hang onto my gear. That being said, I still had most of the money left from the sale of my Ultras. Now that the Linbrooks went back, I was stuck w/o any speakers to pair with my PSA S1500's. What did I do you ask? Well, someway somehow I managed to buy a set of speakers that is very surprising to me. Without further ado, will just post some pics for you all to see:

upload_2016-6-14_15-20-54.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-22-15.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-23-9.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-25-12.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-25-52.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-26-37.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-27-13.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-27-45.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-28-28.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-29-14.png

There you are. These are the Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors. Employed are the 1" ScanSpeak Revelator Tweeter and a 6 1/2" Seas Magnesium Mid. These speakers are built like a tank using 1 1/2" thick MDF cabinets. They are a lot bigger than they look and are quite heavy. However, do have them atop of my 24" HiVi stands for the time being. The Taylos really need to be on 20" or 21" stands inmho.

My Denon X4000 does a pretty good job powering them. But, a 2-channel amp may be in the works down the road. For now, my Denon will suffice. The sound is unbelievable. There is more resolution and detail than the Ultras, but NOT as much as YOU would think. Of course, the Taylos are $2400 a set new too. That just shows you all just how good the SVS Ultras really are. Honeslty, I regret selling them. But at the same time, very happy and thankful that I ended up with the Taylos. Hope you guys understand. Thanks to you ALL for your kind words of encouragement. It really means a lot to me and is most appreciated!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Here are a few more pics that I snapped:

upload_2016-6-14_15-44-51.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-45-43.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-47-7.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-47-46.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-48-38.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-49-9.png

upload_2016-6-14_15-49-56.png

I like the looks of the Taylos w/o the grilles. Anyone agree? Or, do I need to put the grilles back on? Just so thankful for what I have. This has been a real eye opener for me. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Gear comes and goes. Health takes the priority. I like them with the grilles off. Prefer magnetic grilles too, no holes :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Gear comes and goes. Health takes the priority. I like them with the grilles off. Prefer magnetic grilles too, no holes :)

I agree John in that health is much more important. Working on that as we speak. Same goes for my finances. Moved some things around some which really helps. I also like the grilles off!

Cheers,

Phil

S

Sx57

Enthusiast
Hello mate.congratulations on your new speakers.they look nicer without grilles.it is very good that you have put them on stands.the black color of the stand goes very well with the black parts of the speaker's drivers and the set looks really good.I am sure they sound very nice.enjoy them mate.
Health takes priority on everything of course and I wish you recover very fast.
BTW,are you planing on eating all the chocolate s alone?!!;):)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hello mate.congratulations on your new speakers.they look nicer without grilles.it is very good that you have put them on stands.the black color of the stand goes very well with the black parts of the speaker's drivers and the set looks really good.I am sure they sound very nice.enjoy them mate.
Health takes priority on everything of course and I wish you recover very fast.
BTW,are you planing on eating all the chocolate s alone?!!;):)
Thanks for the compliments. I think that they do look nice together. Especially, w/o the grilles! The chocolates are for sale. I really don't eat many of them, but my neighbors sure do. Just the other day when I restocked, my neighbors bought over 100 candy bars. Yeah, they sell that fast....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
Happy for you Phil ... just hope you will be able to keep them.

Take care of your health and relax listening to good music on your nice system!

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Happy for you Phil ... just hope you will be able to keep them.

Take care of your health and relax listening to good music on your nice system!

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk
Thanks a bunch. Also hope to hang onto these as well. One thing is for certain I can NOT send these back. They are mine regardless. Need I say that the Taylos sound fantastic? My music soothes my soul!

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I would imagine though that those Tylers are a big step up from the SVS ultras.

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
Phil,

Im new to the forums, but I just waned to say hang in there. Yes, its important to pay the bills, which is challenging given medical issues. But I encourage you to keep as much gear as you can to get you through. Music heals the soul. Sitting down with a glass of of wine and closing you eyes listening to whatever you like provides mental easement and relaxation drugs cant provide. I wish you well.

Oh and...grills off :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I would imagine though that those Tylers are a big step up from the SVS ultras.
Thanks for your kind words. Yes, the Taylos offer more resolution and detail. But, the difference is NOT as much as one would expect. Hence, the low end is noticeably better on the Ultras. Other than that, the Taylos are certainly on another level. The thing is though, just goes to show YOU how well the Ultras really are. Personally, I can NOT recommend them enough. In the meantime, I will be enjoying my Taylos!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil,

Im new to the forums, but I just waned to say hang in there. Yes, its important to pay the bills, which is challenging given medical issues. But I encourage you to keep as much gear as you can to get you through. Music heals the soul. Sitting down with a glass of of wine and closing you eyes listening to whatever you like provides mental easement and relaxation drugs cant provide. I wish you well.

Oh and...grills off :)
Hello and welcome to the forum. Thanks for your kind words. It really is appreciated. I also agree that music is way to totally unwind. As such, I still have a lot of fight left in me so to speak. Moving forward!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I ran Audyssey and this is the result:

FL 8.4' -1.5 db SMALL
FR 8.6' -.5 db SMALL

Sub 1 13.3' -10.0 db X-over 120 Hz
Sub 2 10.3' -10.5 db X-over 120 Hz

The Taylos sound fine with these settings, but there is practically no bass. I calibrated both subs as close to 75 db as I could get before running Audyssey. I really don't want to use a sub X-over that high either in order to keep localization on the low. So, I lowered the cross over on the subs to 90 Hz and bumped the levels a few db. That helped some, but it still not where I want it to be. Would calibrating to say 80 db before running Audyssey work better?

The On Screen Menu says to set the gain to half way. But, when the level matching starts I have to turn my subs gain knob down quite a bit to get them both as close to 75 db as I can. Am I doing something wrong here? Should I just leave the gain knobs at half way and then run Audyssey? Are my results normal? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What the?:eek: Those look great Candyman! Love the color too. These will whip you into great health. How about making a video? :) I bet it will be a joy to watch. :) I wish you all the best WITH your new speakers. :D Keep them awhile will ya?! Play some bass Jazz CD and adjust volume on the sub by ear that's how I do it most of the time. Rock ON....:cool:

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Glad your doing good. Try adjusting the phase control to see if that helps. I run my subs at -3db and -1.5 dbs. When you ran your setup did you have to turn the subs volume down to run the test? Mine are EQed seperate, but when I've used avrs auto setup I can't recall them being that far down. Did you disconnect them when you were considering selling? If it were me, I'd start completely fresh, delete all settings in the avr and reposition the sub controls.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What the?:eek: Those look great Candyman! Love the color too. These will whip you into great health. How about making a video? :) I bet it will be a joy to watch. :) I wish you all the best WITH your new speakers. :D Keep them awhile will ya?! Play some bass Jazz CD and adjust volume on the sub by ear that's how I do it most of the time. Rock ON....:cool:
Thanks a bunch. Plan to hold onto these as long as I can. Kind of strange that I had to send the Linbrooks back and then the Taylos merely fell into my lap. But, no complaints from me. Usually, when I am tweaking I will use my ACDC Back In Black cd because it is recorded very well. Lots of kick drums in it. Just very thankful for what I do have! Appreciate the kind words.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Glad your doing good. Try adjusting the phase control to see if that helps. I run my subs at -3db and -1.5 dbs. When you ran your setup did you have to turn the subs volume down to run the test? Mine are EQed seperate, but when I've used avrs auto setup I can't recall them being that far down. Did you disconnect them when you were considering selling? If it were me, I'd start completely fresh, delete all settings in the avr and reposition the sub controls.
Thanks for your kind words. Before I ran Audyssey I did a complete re-set and started over. The first thing I had to do was calibrate each sub to 75 db. But, the instructions advise to turn the gain knobs half way. When, I do that and start the calibration process it tells me they are too loud. So, I adjust each sub to as close to 75 db as I can get it. Then, I ran Audyssey. Phase is set to 0 on both subs being that they are so close to each other and merely the same distance from the MLP. BTW, never disconnected the subs from my AVR. Just did a complete reset and started from scratch.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your kind words. Before I ran Audyssey I did a complete re-set and started over. The first thing I had to do was calibrate each sub to 75 db. But, the instructions advise to turn the gain knobs half way. When, I do that and start the calibration process it tells me they are too loud. So, I adjust each sub to as close to 75 db as I can get it. Then, I ran Audyssey. Phase is set to 0 on both subs being that they are so close to each other and merely the same distance from the MLP. BTW, never disconnected the subs from my AVR. Just did a complete reset and started from scratch.

Cheers,

Phil
They always tell people to turn the sub volume half way but that's just a starting point. I always ended up having to turn it down to 9-10 O' clock position to get 75 dB. If you find the bass lacking even with the subs, try enabling dynamic EQ and disabling dynamic volume and LFC. When you increase the volume to 0, dynamic EQ should, in theory, have no effects.

I believe a lot of audioholics prefer their bass 3 to 6 dB hot so you may be one of those who need to increase both sub level equally by 3 to 6 dB. I do not think Audyssey is all that wrong, but rather, people prefer to hear bass louder than they would hear in live concerts (unamplified ones such as classical music concerts).

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
They always tell people to turn the sub volume half way but that's just a starting point. I always ended up having to turn it down to 9-10 O' clock position to get 75 dB. If you find the bass lacking even with the subs, try enabling dynamic EQ and disabling dynamic volume and LFC. When you increase the volume to 0, dynamic EQ should, in theory, have no effects.

I believe a lot of audioholics prefer their bass 3 to 6 dB hot so you may be one of those who need to increase both sub level equally by 3 to 6 dB. I do not think Audyssey is all that wrong, but rather, people prefer to hear bass louder than they would hear in live concerts (unamplified ones such as classical music concerts).
Yeah, I also usually have to lower the gain to the 9:00 position in order to get close to 75 db. I will try to enable Dynamic EQ and disable Dynamic Volume and/or LFC and see how it sounds. Then, I will go back in a set the levels 3-6 db hot and go from there. Should I leave the sub X-over alone? At 120 Hz they are going to be more localized. Thanks for the tips Peng! it is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not a big fan of any dynamic calibrations maybe except late night. Some love it. I'm sure you get it dialed in and get to run those favorite test files for verification :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis