What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You mean like this?

beverley hillbillies.jpg

The kid already has two big ash vehicles with DVD players in them. All we have is a pair of widdle Elantras.

I don't know how we grew up without those DVD players in the car. Oh yeah, we talked to each other, played games and otherwise amused ourselves. Nowadays, when the kids tables/iphones lose their charge, they don't know what to do with themselves.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally got a backlit USB key board. Just adding to the sweetness that is Vista. More winning.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Mr. Shatner was in town several weeks ago to talk about his new book and Leonard. I missed the event, but managed to get a copy at the local Barnes & Noble.

IMG_0463.JPG

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Been looking for one of these for some time now, and I finally sniped one on eBay for a pretty good price. It's an Andrew Jones designed speaker base, a Pioneer SP-SB03.

My wife and I agreed we didn't want a lot of geek gear in our living room. It's a room more for socializing and family than for technology. Still, what's a living room without a TV? So, in lieu of an AVR and speakers or even a pair of powered monitors, we have been supplementing the TV's unacceptable audio with a Polk soundbar I'd bought off Craigslist a year or two ago.

Biggest problem with the soundbar might be inferred by looking at the TV in the picture above. The TV's stance is very low, and a soundbar obscures its IR sensor. As a result, the soundbar has been sitting behind the TV, always on at a preset volume. So now that I can set the TV on top of the speakers, problem solved!

A nice surprise with this Pioneer speaker base is that it has the ability to learn IR commands from my basic Comcast remote. How's that for a twist? The speaker base learns IR commands, so I don't need a universal remote.

How does it sound? No clue. As I said before, the living room is for family time and socializing. At the moment I can't hear it over my daughter playing with her Legos and harrassing the cat, and my wife talking to her mother on the phone. :) Of course it's nowhere near the audiophile bliss that is my HT room system. But it's at least as good as the soundbar was. I'll have to dial in the woofer volume and play with the DSP virtual surround modes later when the house is empty.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Have been price tracking it for a long time and it finally dropped to within a few cents of its lowest so I bit.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mr. Shatner was in town several weeks ago to talk about his new book and Leonard. I missed the event, but managed to get a copy at the local Barnes & Noble.

View attachment 18313
I saw him at the Comic-con here this year. He mentioned the book and had some nice insights and things to say about Leonard.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This CD .. I really like "The Kills" ....no commerical crap embedded in their music at all.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Moved into our new home and I can finally start putting together my gear, waiting on some new arrivals.

New Everest audio rack, black with tempered glass shelf's....along with a new Oppo 103. Lastly, a new Funk Audio 18.0C is Santos Rosewood which I'm making deposit arrangements for tomorrow.

Its being about 5 months since I packed my gear...excited yea...but I will need to temper myself until the sub arrives. This will all be going into a dedicated 10x16 den/HT room...:cool:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Moved into our new home and I can finally start putting together my gear, waiting on some new arrivals.

New Everest audio rack, black with tempered glass shelf's....along with a new Oppo 103. Lastly, a new Funk Audio 18.0C is Santos Rosewood which I'm making deposit arrangements for tomorrow.

Its being about 5 months since I packed my gear...excited yea...but I will need to temper myself until the sub arrives. This will all be going into a dedicated 10x16 den/HT room...:cool:
Great Billy! Be sure to snap some pics so we all can see your new gear. Feel like a kid in a candy store? I know the feeling all too well myself. Sounds like things are looking up for YOU!

Cheers,

Phil

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The Price was too good to pass up on this: Eccobee3: $199.00.

I have spent a great deal of time researching this and comparing against the Nest and Honeywell. Decided it was the best model for my needs.
Includes 1 additional room sensor - I picked up 2 more.
Wire Kit - If your Furnace does not have 5 wire (4 and a 'C' wire for power)

Cost: $199.99
Rebate Com-Ed Electric $100
Rebate Ni-Cor Gas $50.00
Total Cost after Rebates: $50.00.

It's 95 degrees right now, so I am going to wait until night time to install.

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
From Crutchfield I bought a pair of DefTech StudioMonitor 65's new. To my annoyance one of them was damaged, 3/8 inch dent on the cabinet, broken plastic on the front grill, and one of four terminals felt like a compressed air lug nut wrench had been used to tighten it down. The two woofers and single tweeter were ok, just those cosmetic problems, I returned it for refund / exchange. The replacement speaker arrived in good condition. No hassle from Crutchfield.

A/V receiver: Yamaha RX-A1020 7.2 channel
Front mains: Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 (bi-amped)
Center: DefTech ProCenter 1000
Sub: DefTech ProSub 800 (will be adding a 2nd one, for total of 2 subs)
side / rear surrounds: Cambridge Audio Minx Min10 (4)
Niles SI-2100 amp (for rear surrounds)
Video Section:
Sony Bravia 50 in. LCD tv
Toshiba VHS/DVD combo player / recorder
Yamaha BD-S477 blu-ray player
AT&T UVerse TV / Phone / Internet
AT&T / Motorola VIP1225 DVR cable tv box
Music Section:
Marantz TT42 automatic turntable, MM cartridge
Cambridge Audio Azur 651P phono pre-amp
Pro-Ject phono box USB pre-amp (for turntable to computer)
Marantz CD5004 CD player, single disc.
Computer/Network Section:
Apple iMac, mid-2011, 16 mb ram, 27" screen , 4 TB total hard disk storage
NetGear 8-port gigabit switch.
2-Wire 3801 wi-fi & ethernet LAN router
Logitech Harmony 650 universal remote

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I just picked this up new on vinyl with a download card. The time span of recordings range from 1927 to 1935.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I miss being in a large metropolitan area where a simple wire stuck into the antenna terminal brings in a lot of stations. And, with our outside antenna, I had a station on almost every odd FM frequency.

Now, out here in the boonies. one really appreciates what one had. Now, I really have to fight for FM. Eventually, I'll get an FM antenna but for now, I'm stuck with indoor antennas.

so, I tried the wire with a slip-om "F" connector that came with the yammie. It worked "OK" but I got many more stations on the car radio. I wanted more.

So, I tried one of these powered antennas, which shall remain unnamed since it sux. It's a famous brand and you'll recognize it from the picture

antenna terk.jpg

It wasn't even as good as that single wire that came with the 201. I got 6 stations with the wire and 5 with this. to say I was disappointed would be a gross understatement.

I wanted to try the old fashioned "T" antenna but I've only seen them with 300 ohm flat lead. So I searched and found this. Considering it's just a hunk of wire with a "F" connector it was a little more than I wanted but hey, I was desparate.

antenna wire.jpg

This worked great! Auto preset found 18 clean stations, about 16 noiseless, I'm about 90 - 100 miles from anywhere and considering that, I'm extermemy satisfied.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis