Last system I will ever need to own

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Is there a second floor, or just a monster of a roof?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a second floor, or just a monster of a roof?
Just a big roof/attic & actual windows for the attic to keep the aesthetics of the original Brent Gibson design. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Just a big roof/attic & actual windows for the attic to keep the aesthetics of the original Brent Gibson design. :D

Well, as long as that giant 'sail' has been properly attached to the rest of the house, should be good to go! How long til move in?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, as long as that giant 'sail' has been properly attached to the rest of the house, should be good to go! How long til move in?
Yeah, I told the builder I want to take pictures of those hurricane steel ties when they're done. :)

They are starting shingles + Windows + doors.

I think move-in ETA is beginning of August or end of July.

Won't be long before they get to the HT room.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Are you planning on getting solar panels and stuff like that? :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are you planning on getting solar panels and stuff like that? :)
No solar panels. This is the list of features I have in mind:

1. Hurricane steel ties
2. 60kW power generator (Generac run by natural gas)
3. Geothermal HVAC & Water Heater
4. Whole-house Surge protection
5. 20A house circuits to every room, instead of 15A.
6. 2 dedicated 20A circuits for HT
7. 9 HVAC Zones
8. All glass windows and doors are Double-Pane
9. Foam insulation for all Exterior walls and ceilings
10. Double drywall + green glue damping compound for HT
11. Fiberglass insulation for Interior walls of HT & four Beds
12. 2 sets RG6 & CAT6 from Central Kitchen to all rooms & garage (HT has 8 sets of CAT6)
13. Natural Gas grill in back Porch (house has total of 4 porches + 1 Terrace)
14. Doors are 36"x96" Solid Core, Front door is 42"x96" Iron door
15. Double Garage door is 18'x8', single garage door is 9'x8', Porte Cochere single garage door is 10'x8'

Any other ideas (like Hurricane clips) are definitely appreciated. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I think these are the hurricane steel ties that go on the inside of the house.

I can imagine the cost would be significantly more if these steel straps are installed after the house is already built.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks nice and tidy. I was worried for hurricane for ya, but looks like ya got it handled.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks nice and tidy. I was worried for hurricane for ya, but looks like ya got it started.
Have you seen these hurricane clips before? They look right?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Have you seen these hurricane clips before? They look right?

It is hard to see the details in your photo, but if they look about like this, you should be okay!

Think of your roof as a plastic garbage can lid laying flat on your (flat) driveway on a windy day. As long as it lays flat it will stay, but as soon as an edge gets lifted, it is gone!

The soffit vents will let the air get under the roof (you need those), but these clips will hold the roof down at the rated wind velocities (90 MPH gusts IIRC). As long as your roof does not get lifted anywhere along the edge to let more air catch it, It should stay attached.

I am far from an expert on this, but the linked article below shows another bracket at the bottom of the studs (stud to bottom plate):

http://downloads.pennnet.com/fe/misc/20080728havel_hurricaneclips.pdf

Hopefully someone who knows more about this will chime in, but if you don't have the floor brackets, I would print this two page article and ask your builder about it.

Either way, you are far better off now and there is a decent chance you will go through an indirect tornado incident without too much damage (as long as your neighbor's roof doesn't come crashing through your home!:eek:)

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It's a whole lot of relatively inexpensive galvanized steel parts, but top n bottom clips AND strapping are necessary for hurricanes. They are laborious to install, but not so bad when they were planned for during construction ;-)

And because you live in fracking country, strapping is absolutely essential!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis