speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
So, does it look better? It seems more balanced. Got to do something about my cables, wires, and etc. Still doing some fine tuning as we speak. That is all for now as I am bushed......LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
So how do the Eagles sound to you? Did you use a chair to sit in the middle? Look wise 100 percent better! I think you need a recliner to purchase next. ;) Kate Approves!!! :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
So how do the Eagles sound to you? Did you use a chair to sit in the middle? Look wise 100 percent better! I think you need a recliner to purchase next. ;) Kate Approves!!! :D
The Eagles sound fantastic! Really enjoyed it. No, just sit right in the middle of my loveseat. Glad you think is looks better. Getting used to the sound as we speak. Got the Chronic in right now. Sure my neighbors can hear it....LOL!!!! Not really rocking out too much. Just a little bit! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Audyssey set my Front R and Front L both at 8.1'. Sub 1 (Right Side) at 13' and Sub 2 (Left Side) to 9.9'. The fronts were set to small with a Crossover at 60 Hz. The Subs were set to 120 Hz respectively. The front levels were the same at -5.5 whereas Sub 1 at -9.5 and Sub 2 -9.5. I then went back in a set the crossover for my fronts to 80 Hz and changed the LFE to 90 Hz. Like the way it sounds better.

Was not real happy with the amount of bass I was getting at the MLP so I upped the levels on my AVR some. Okay maybe a lot......LOL!!!!! :D:D:D:D Like the bass much better now than before. Have not done anything with toe in just yet. Will do that maybe on another day. Right now, just enjoying listening to the Robin Hood Sound Track. Sounds fabulous! ;);););)

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Audyssey set my Front R and Front L both at 8.1'. Sub 1 (Right Side) at 13' and Sub 2 (Left Side) to 9.9'. The fronts were set to small with a Crossover at 60 Hz. The Subs were set to 120 Hz respectively. The front levels were the same at -5.5 whereas Sub 1 at -9.5 and Sub 2 -9.5. I then went back in a set the crossover for my fronts to 80 Hz and changed the LFE to 90 Hz. Like the way it sounds better.

Was not real happy with the amount of bass I was getting at the MLP so I upped the levels on my AVR some. Okay maybe a lot......LOL!!!!! :D:D:D:D Like the bass much better now than before. Have not done anything with toe in just yet. Will do that maybe on another day. Right now, just enjoying listening to the Robin Hood Sound Track. Sounds fabulous! ;);););)

Cheers,

Phil
I highly recommend that you turn down the sub's volume know a notch and re-run Audyssey. Keep doing that until Audyssey let the speakers and sub levels closer to 0. -9.5 to me is a little too much. Once that's achieved, you can manually increase the level for the sub by 3 to 6 dB if you prefer to hear exaggerated bass and unless you listen at reference level loud, you need to turn on Dynamic EQ. That, is what will bring smile to your face and start to appreciate your sub more.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Why set the LFE to 90?
Well, when I set everything to 80, it just sounds better to me at 90Hz. No real reason other than that. Have not done any toe-in just yet. So far, really like what I have been hearing. Certainly looks better and more balanced out. The will help my OCD.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well, when I set everything to 80, it just sounds better to me at 90Hz. No real reason other than that. Have not done any toe-in just yet. So far, really like what I have been hearing. Certainly looks better and more balanced out. The will help my OCD.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
Have you been listening with movies? Specifically with movies with a lot of bass? If not, or if you've mainly been listening with music/TV, then the LFE setting doesn't do anything. LFE is only for movie soundtracks and what you've done by setting it to 90Hz is removed all LFE content above that. So if you've haven't been listening to movies with a lot of bang and boom, then changing the setting has been in your head. If you have and it sounds better at 90, then odds are you've a room/placement issue with your subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That candy collection cracks me up (and makes me worry about your consumption of same).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I highly recommend that you turn down the sub's volume know a notch and re-run Audyssey. Keep doing that until Audyssey let the speakers and sub levels closer to 0. -9.5 to me is a little too much. Once that's achieved, you can manually increase the level for the sub by 3 to 6 dB if you prefer to hear exaggerated bass and unless you listen at reference level loud, you need to turn on Dynamic EQ. That, is what will bring smile to your face and start to appreciate your sub more.
Why? -9.5 is great for a sub, especially if you're going to bump the level by 6dB. Let the speakers go where they will (they're set independently).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Why? -9.5 is great for a sub, especially if you're going to bump the level by 6dB. Let the speakers go where they will (they're set independently).
There is no problem with -9.5 at all, though being within -2.5 to the -12 limit, I wouldn't call it great, because there obviously won't be much room for left for flexibility. If for instance, you have to move the sub a little, and that may bring it over the limit. So I prefer to play with the sub volume to the point Audyssey sets the level closer to 0, say 0 to -5. A high -ve subout from the AVR also means the sub's own gain is set unnecessarily high, that is not a problem either but to me it is not about "problem" but more about optimizing.

At the end of the day you do what you want, I have used different versions of Audyssey for quite a few years and am just trying to share my experience with the OP.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There is no problem with -9.5 at all, though being within -2.5 to the -12 limit, I wouldn't call it great, because there obviously won't be much room for left for flexibility. If for instance, you have to move the sub a little, and that may bring it over the limit. So I prefer to play with the sub volume to the point Audyssey sets the level closer to 0, say 0 to -5. A high -ve subout from the AVR also means the sub's own gain is set unnecessarily high, that is not a problem either but to me it is not about "problem" but more about optimizing.

At the end of the day you do what you want, I have used different versions of Audyssey for quite a few years and am just trying to share my experience with the OP.
Moving the sub would bring it over the limit? You've experienced this? Besides, why would you move the sub after running Audyssey rather than re-running Audyssey if you're going to move things around? The sub's gain may or may not be unnecessarily high, this isn't much of a test of that, but something to be aware of for sure.

Agreed, same here.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Moving the sub would bring it over the limit? You've experienced this? Besides, why would you move the sub after running Audyssey rather than re-running Audyssey if you're going to move things around? The sub's gain may or may not be unnecessarily high, this isn't much of a test of that, but something to be aware of for sure.

Agreed, same here.
In some cases, moving the sub a few inches could yield a few dB SPL. Yes, once upon the time I had to crawl one of my sub to get flatter response and in doing so I had to adjust the volume knob lower. Not that I had to as such, but only because my preference is to keep the trim level further away from the -12 limit. However, if I started out with -9.5, then I might not have a choice but to lower the volume knob position. Anyway, I was only citing an example, though it happened to be a real one that I had experienced. Again, I already said -9.5 is fine.:)

Regarding the gain, in general unnecessary higher gain could mean unnecessary poorer SN. So I prefer not to attenuate the sub out level too much unnecessarily. Again YMMV. If you want to discuss this further, we should probably do it offline before the OP complains. Better still, I have no trouble leaving this as personal preference, no right or wrong, just preference.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I fully leveled matched them before running Audyssey to 75 db. Turned up the levels to -5 db on both. That helped a lot. Will work with it more on another day. Cooking right now and got to make some calls. Time to check in with my daughter and grandsons. I also call both of my brothers every Sunday. I will rerun Audyssey on another day. Just worn out now.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Agreed, same here.
I moved my subs because I took my audio stand out altogether. Then, I moved my AVR, BR Player, and my DVR onto my tv stand. As such, I reran Audyssey. In fact, I did a complete factory reset of my AVR. Then, I did go in and make some changes to the settings.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Have you been listening with movies? Specifically with movies with a lot of bass? If not, or if you've mainly been listening with music/TV, then the LFE setting doesn't do anything. LFE is only for movie soundtracks and what you've done by setting it to 90Hz is removed all LFE content above that. So if you've haven't been listening to movies with a lot of bang and boom, then changing the setting has been in your head. If you have and it sounds better at 90, then odds are you've a room/placement issue with your subs.
No, haven't watched a movie. Just listened to Hell Freezes Over on DVD is all. Played a few of my CD's that I know real well. To me, it sounds better at 90 Hz than at 80. I can hear a difference between the two. I don't use my set-up for watching tv. Reason being, really don't watch much tv. When I do, just watch it w/o turning on my AVR.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I fully leveled matched them before running Audyssey to 75 db. Turned up the levels to -5 db on both. That helped a lot. Will work with it more on another day. Cooking right now and got to make some calls. Time to check in with my daughter and grandsons. I also call both of my brothers every Sunday. I will rerun Audyssey on another day. Just worn out now.

Cheers,

Phil
Hi Phil, if you have some spare time, here's a good read on some Audyssey do's and don'ts:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159948

To be clear, practically anything within the +/- 12 dB limits are fine. My point about the closer to 0 thing is just my own preference for reasons I cited, but I am an Audioholic who will do things that may look better on paper but may not result in audible difference.:D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Phil, if you have some spare time, here's a good read on some Audyssey do's and don'ts:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159948

To be clear, practically anything within the +/- 12 dB limits are fine. My point about the closer to 0 thing is just my own preference for reasons I cited, but I am an Audioholic who will do things that may look better on paper but may not result in audible difference.:D
Thanks for the link. Will read up on it for sure. One of these days I got to take some measurements so I can see what is really going on. Things sure look different now. Kind of like it too.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis