Subwoofer advice, 1 big or 2 small

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
Hey!

Looking for some advice about subwoofers. Im a ultra newbie and my system is ultra budget but im very happy with the moviesound, but the problem is music. Especially at lower listening levels. I do live in an apartment and i prefer "even" bass response instead av 1 good bass seat.

I can get a used XTZ 99 w10.16 sub for about 200 bucks, the specs rated this sort of giant thing at 31 kg which sounds waaaaaaay to big.

Or im thinking about adding 2 tiny tiny 6,5 " NS-SW210 and hope it makes the bassresponse more even at a very tiny tiny cost.

Advice? : )

My setup:

Front L&R Yamaha NS-555
Center Yamaha NS-C444
Surround Yamaha NS-333
Sub Sony SA-CS9
Reciever Onkyo TX-NR 646

I give you photos of my apartment, sorry about the mess but cmon who has the time to clean : D

Budget: No more then 300 $ : (
lyanhifi.png
IMG_4920.JPG

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In this case, no two tiny subs will not be the better option.

$329 gets you the HSU STF-2. It has plenty of output for the size and will be worth it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I can get a used XTZ 99 w10.16 sub for about 200 bucks, the specs rated this sort of giant thing at 31 kg which sounds waaaaaaay to big.
We have heard of XTZ brand they their great value product. I think that properly designed 10" ported sub with 300-400W is solid entry in category of good small subwoofers.
Size wise - 422 x 300 x 380 mm or 16.5" H x 11.8" x 15" is not something I would call giant thing :)
I think the price is right - jump on it. Even you live in cozy place now, but maybe your next will be larger and you could crank this sub to 11.

Or im thinking about adding 2 tiny tiny 6,5 " NS-SW210 and hope it makes the bassresponse more even at a very tiny tiny cost.
Sorry, but words like 6.5" driver and "Subwoofer" don't belong in same sentence ;)
It's more of fart box

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In this case, no two tiny subs will not be the better option.

$329 gets you the HSU STF-2. It has plenty of output for the size and will be worth it.
Agree on two tiny "subs" but for HSU it would be $329 plus another $329 for shipping it to Sweden :)

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the replys !

Yeah well to me the XTZ looks like a death star but i guess thats just me : ) I take it you dont think its to big for my room and that i can just use the gain knob if the sub is drowning my speakers? The room is about 20 square meters big.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
No such thing as too big. It's actually an appropriate size for you. It won't drown your other speakers.

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
Funny thing though, the advertiser wrote XTZ 99 w10.16 in the title but then he linked to the XTZ 99 w12.16 which is a larger model. But i guess that doesnt matter a lot right?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Didn't you heard us? As far as subs go - bigger is better!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
XTZ 10/12 is way better than those 6.5" "subs" by far as you really can't even call them subs. Either XTZ wont be too big for your room. And if the unit is working properly the price is fair as well. Go for it already before it is gone!

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
Yeah thanks i will buy the XTZ : )

Looks like its the 10" one. Btw im putting my Sony sub to sale but i noticed some odd thing when i took of the grill?

Attachments

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah thanks i will buy the XTZ : )

Looks like its the 10" one. Btw im putting my Sony sub to sale but i noticed some odd thing when i took of the grill?
What seems to be the problem? Atleast on my phone I cant see problem there.

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
Has been there since the unit left from factory. Nothing to worry about.
Ok thanks! : )

So i just bought the XTZ, im reading through the manual as we speak but there is a lot of settings in this unit, any advice?

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
Have you read this: http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/basic-subwoofer-setup ? Also doesn't the manual have basic installation guide for the sub?
Yes i have, but when i just switch it with my sony sub the base actually felt weaker somehow haha. Phase 0, gain about 40 % (didnt help to increase this) freq max and the rest off, and one "plug" in the left port. I will dig into this on Monday so expect me to create a new thread on Tuesday haha ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yes i have, but when i just switch it with my sony sub the base actually felt weaker somehow haha. Phase 0, gain about 40 % (didnt help to increase this) freq max and the rest off, and one "plug" in the left port. I will dig into this on Monday so expect me to create a new thread on Tuesday haha ;)
I haven't heard the Sony, but have an idea on why the Sony may seem to have more bass.
Often an inexpensive sub will have port tuning that dominates the character of the subwoofer. In order to sound like a bigger sub, they use the port resonance to over-emphasize the lower frequencies. This works great for HT (because who can say if the nuances of an explosion or dinosaur stomp sound accurate), but often you lose some detail as this added low frequency emphasis muddies the mid-bass. Play some good musical bass content and see how they compare.
Honestly, with all of the tuning options on your new sub, it may simply be the tuning options that are causing it to sound deficient.
It seems like enabling EQ1 would get it closer to the sound of the Sony (as I imagine it).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis