Floorstanding speakers, $500-700 per pair, new or used?

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I am in the market for a basic setup for an extra room that will have a primary use of TV viewing and occasional movie/music duty. The space is about 16x20x10 or so with 2 open entry ways to other living areas. They'll be flanking an 80" sharp TV, so that puts them about 7' apart in the room and the main listening seat at probably 12'. I don't spend much time browsing this segment of the market and really have no idea what is decent and what isn't. I am open to both new or used to maximize bang for the buck. I have an extra Emotiva amp that will power them and they'll probably be crossed over to an SVS PB-1000.

Thoughts?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

The main reason to get big floor standing speakers is their bass extension. So honestly, there’s no good reason to get big floor-standing speakers if you have a subwoofer. Consider that it’s more difficult and expensive to design a good floor standing speaker, because their required larger cabinet panel are more prone to resonance than a bookshelf speaker with a small cabinet. Thus the same money you’d spend for floor-standers will get you better-quality bookshelf speakers. Or, the same quality at a lower price.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic

The main reason to get big floor standing speakers is their bass extension. So honestly, there’s no good reason to get big floor-standing speakers if you have a subwoofer. Consider that it’s more difficult and expensive to design a good floor standing speaker, because their required larger cabinet panel are more prone to resonance than a bookshelf speaker with a small cabinet. Thus the same money you’d spend for floor-standers will get you better-quality bookshelf speakers. Or, the same quality at a lower price.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Fair point, but I feel that it is unlikely that a bookshelf monitor will be strong in the 80-250hz range in a room that size. Maybe I'm wrong? I just think that I am occupying that same floorspace either way since I'll have to buy stands, so I might as well buy floorstanders.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Fair point, but I feel that it is unlikely that a bookshelf monitor will be strong in the 80-250hz range in a room that size. Maybe I'm wrong?
Probably depends on the speaker, but my space is quite a bit larger than that and I don’t have any problems with output in that range. I’d at least recommend some with 6-1/2” woofers for a room that large, though, not 5-1/4” or smaller. I have 6-1/2 inchers myself.

I just think that I am occupying that same floorspace either way since I'll have to buy stands, so I might as well buy floorstanders.
Certainly a valid point, even if it has nothing to do with the sound quality of one vs. the other.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Anyone have any thoughts on the Polk RTiA7? On paper, it appears to be a decent speaker in this price range. I've never seen or heard them in person.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone have any thoughts on the Polk RTiA7? On paper, it appears to be a decent speaker in this price range. I've never seen or heard them in person.
Yes. Don't get polks. Prior to overpriced LS series it's all just crud imo.
Get Dennis's Phil AA bookshelf and be happy with the most bang for buck by far.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I have a very hard time believing that those will work well in a larger room.

I am surprised that I haven't gotten more suggestions yet, I feel like this should be a prime entry level speaker price point. Has anyone heard the new Fluance Signature Series? They look pretty interesting.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone heard the new Fluance Signature Series? They look pretty interesting.
I have not heard any signature flatulences, but based on their own measuring, you might want to consider crossing them at 120hz or even higher, at which point one should ask why the heck are you getting such large speakers which make complete kock-up of mid to low bass. Also keep in mind it's "marketing" 100db scale.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Check out Post #142
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/fluance-signature-series-speakers-preview.97371/page-8

Edit: If you are gonna cross it to a sub, then why are you worried about "slam"????
hash, overly bright highs with "overly boomy and bloated" bass.
This exactly how I'd describe graph above, especially lows.

Hocky: Please do disregard our advice and get the speakers which you find most visually appealing - this will surely guarantee their great performance, right?

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Check out Post #142
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/fluance-signature-series-speakers-preview.97371/page-8

Edit: If you are gonna cross it to a sub, then why are you worried about "slam"????
Bass slam isn't only a product of the sub. Upper bass is going to be played through the mains. Either way, I haven't purchased a sub yet. Interesting post, though - thanks for relaying that. That doesn't sound promising.

I have not heard any signature flatulences, but based on their own measuring, you might want to consider crossing them at 120hz or even higher, at which point one should ask why the heck are you getting such large speakers which make complete kock up of mid to low bass. Also keep in mind it's "marketing" 100db scale.
Yea, I saw that graph and questioned why they would even post it, honestly. My hope is that this is an in room response from a crappy room.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
hash, overly bright highs with "overly boomy and bloated" bass.
This exactly how I'd describe graph above, especially lows.

Hocky: Please do disregard our advice and get the speakers which you find most visually appealing - this will surely guarantee their great performance, right?
Actually, I think that the RBH's are the most visually appealing of the ones that we've discussed so far. ;-)

edit: And just to be clear, I'm not disregarding your advice. I'm not that guy. Just exploring options, that's all. This isn't a room that I am going to use a lot, but I still want it to sound and look decent.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually, I think that the RBH's are the most visually appealing of the ones that we've discussed so far. ;-)

edit: And just to be clear, I'm not disregarding your advice. I'm not that guy. Just exploring options, that's all. This isn't a room that I am going to use a lot, but I still want it to sound and look decent.
disclosure : I have heared EMptek (now rebranded to RBH) ti55's towers - they did sounded really nice, laid back, warm sound to them. I have not heard AA's, but everyone who done - absolutely rave about them.
If you're going to add decent sub anyway AA would be much choice (based on performance alone)
Then I would go with towers - if you intend to a) play it for loud parties with lots of people in same room or b) not planning to get sub

If a or b) doesn't apply - imo you should look at bookshelves and leave bigger budget for sub(s)
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php

But if you were more like me - I'd look for most accurate,revealing, even clinical, sound I could possibly afford and that would Be AA's and Ascend's products.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
B definitely applies - it is a room off of a main living space. It certainly won't be a primary entertaining space, but it will happen for sure. It is important that they can play fairly loud and that they look decent because of where they'll be. The stuff that I truly like to listen to is in a dedicated room.

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
I am in the market for a basic setup for an extra room that will have a primary use of TV viewing and occasional movie/music duty. The space is about 16x20x10 or so with 2 open entry ways to other living areas. They'll be flanking an 80" sharp TV, so that puts them about 7' apart in the room and the main listening seat at probably 12'. I don't spend much time browsing this segment of the market and really have no idea what is decent and what isn't. I am open to both new or used to maximize bang for the buck. I have an extra Emotiva amp that will power them and they'll probably be crossed over to an SVS PB-1000.

Thoughts?
The fluance's signatures are the way to go, they will be very dynamic for movies and is a very musical speaker......by far the best choice IMO

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
The fluance's signatures are the way to go, they will be very dynamic for movies and is a very musical speaker......by far the best choice IMO
Interesting because your review seems very different than the other guys. Have you had any other speakers through your room that you could compare them to?

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
Interesting because your review seems very different than the other guys. Have you had any other speakers through your room that you could compare them to?
Yes i compared them directly to the rbh r55ti's i even posted photos....they smoke the r55ti's imo.
way better dynamics/better bass. Better clarity, it's a better speaker top to bottom period.
Their is a difference between a vivid/dynamic speaker with punch vs a overly bright speaker that hurt's your ears instantly. This isn't a bright speaker IMO. Hey man don't take my word for it wait for gene's review.......that's how confident I am and I know these speakers are the GOODS.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis