Floorstanding speakers, $500-700 per pair, new or used?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, just bought me a set of the Polk RTi8's for $275 and free shipping directly from Polk. These are new and come with a full (5)-year warranty. Been using my RTi6's for my fronts, but will soon be using the Rti8's. I will then move the RTi6's to my rears albeit 5.1 and my RTi4's for "Height" OR "Width" speakers. Thus, I simply do NOT have the room for 7.1. Soon, I will also have dual ULS-15 MK2's. Here is a link if YOU are interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-RTi8-BLACK-2-Way-RTi-Floostanding-Tower-Speakers-NEW-PAIR-/231827875395?hash=item35fa04a643:g:vvcAAOSw5dNWqS3D

The RTi8's are really good. Preferred them over the RTi10's. Have never heard the RTi12's. But, for $275 shipped with a full (5) year warranty YOU can NOT go wrong if YOU like the Polk sound signature. The CSi5 can be had for $200 more. It is friggin HUGE no kidding! Best wishes to YOU on YOUR decision.

Cheers,

Phil

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The main reason to get big floor standing speakers is their bass extension. So honestly, there’s no good reason to get big floor-standing speakers if you have a subwoofer. Consider that it’s more difficult and expensive to design a good floor standing speaker, because their required larger cabinet panel are more prone to resonance than a bookshelf speaker with a small cabinet. Thus the same money you’d spend for floor-standers will get you better-quality bookshelf speakers. Or, the same quality at a lower price.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Aren't larger speakers often times more dynamic (on average) as well?

I don't believe extension is the only reason to go with a floor standing speaker is my point.

djKail

djKail

Audiophyte
I was recently in the market for speakers around the same price point. I ended up going with the PSB X2T tower speakers along with the matching center and surrounds.

This was an upgrade from my Polk TSI setup and I noticed a massive jump in fidelity. The X2Ts are a well engineered 3-way with good extension producing extremely accurate sound. Pretty much all the reviews you find online are positive but if you can find a dealer close you should definitely stop in for a listen. The PSB website will list all dealers in your area.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I have ordered the P363, Pioneer FS52, and the Fluance SS. We'll see what I think of them.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have ordered the P363, Pioneer FS52, and the Fluance SS. We'll see what I think of them.
I have owned the Infinity P360 which is an older version of the P363. Have also heard the Pioneer FS52 on many occasions. But, I much preferred the Infinity P360's. Have NOT ever heard a Flaunce speaker. If I had to guess, the Fluance Signature towers are much more expensive and thus will probably sound better than the other two. My Polk Rti8's are on their way to me as we speak. Good luck in making YOUR decision.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I have owned the Infinity P360 which is an older version of the P363. Have also heard the Pioneer FS52 on many occasions. But, I much preferred the Infinity P360's. Have NOT ever heard a Flaunce speaker. If I had to guess, the Fluance Signature towers are much more expensive and thus will probably sound better than the other two. My Polk Rti8's are on their way to me as we speak. Good luck in making YOUR decision.

Cheers,

Phil
I actually had a chance to listen to the RTi12s last night. I didn't think that they were bad, but their bass performance was very disappointing for a speaker of its size.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I actually had a chance to listen to the RTi12s last night. I didn't think that they were bad, but their bass performance was very disappointing for a speaker of its size.
I have never heard the RTi12's. Not surprised that bass performance was not great. Of the RTi10/RTi8 I much preferred the RTi8's. Neither had a ton of bass. So, it was no big deal to me. Have read that you really have to feed both the RTi10/12 a lot of power to really get them to shine. Most recommend an outboard amp. The RTi8 does well with AVR power. Mine will be here Wednesday of next week. Really surprised how well the RTi6's sound in my small room. BTW, just read over at AVS that the Fluance Sig Towers just had a price increase. :cool::cool::cool:

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis