Absolute Best Speaker YOU Have Ever heard?

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
I have never heard a Tannoy speakers. But, I am familiar with Andrew Jones. Would love to hear them one day. BTW, can YOU tell me a bit more about the LS50? Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Phil
You can read a lot of review on the Kef LS50 that describe them better than I could.

But the main thing is that I enjoy my music when it plays through this system!

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
This is very interesting. Never knew AJ was with KEF or Infinity. I am aware that AJ was at TAD and now with Elac. Did he ever have anything to do with Revel? Just curious since you mention AJ was at Infinity.

Cheers,

Phil
I don't think he was involved at Revel- they're separately designed, just like they're/were separate from JBL. I'm sure you could send a message to him at ELAC.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Still waiting to hear that one (so called best) - and it all comes down to the best
for your ears and mind.
Well you have to have a current best. The question wasn't "what's the best speaker you will eventually will hear". :D

EDIT: When I listened to the Thiels they had a set of Magnepan speakers as well as some Wilson Audio (Watt Puppies?) in another room. I was not so impressed with the Wilsons, I did enjoy the Magnepans, but the Thiels just had a certain level of authority to them that I couldn't shake.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think he was involved at Revel- they're separately designed, just like they're/were separate from JBL. I'm sure you could send a message to him at ELAC.
I see. Hope to one day hear some Revel speakers myself. Have heard great things about them as well.

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There is no doubt about it for me. The rig in my AV room tops everything else I have heard by a wide margin.

I was at Orchestra Hall Minneapolis on Saturday night for the end of the Beethoven marathon. The last work was Beethoven symphony No5.

When I got here yesterday, I played the BIS 5 channel SACD. There is no sub channel, so I had to throw the switch to go entirely to my bass management. The ambiance comes from the rear speakers, not from the side surrounds, as it should for European mastered SACDs. It is the same orchestra, same conductor and same hall. The only difference being that the hall was empty for the BIS recording.

I played at concert level, and the sound was identical, except that the hall sounded empty with more of an echo. The full MSO in Orchestra Hall with a work like that gets very loud in parts.

Everything on playback here was the same, the typms, basses and cellos perfect along with the upper strings, woodwind and brass section. The trumpets and trombones really blazed. There was no sign of distress, or thermal compression in the rig. It was all just like I heard, except for more reverb from the empty hall. With the excellent BIS recording in 5 channel, it really sounded like being in Orchestra Hall and being a lone member of the audience.

I have not heard any other speakers produce the full wallop of a full symphony orchestra and be totally tonally correct across the entire range.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
There is no doubt about it for me. The rig in my AV room tops everything else I have heard by a wide margin.

I was at Orchestra Hall Minneapolis on Saturday night for the end of the Beethoven marathon. The last work was Beethoven symphony No5.

When I got here yesterday, I played the BIS 5 channel SACD. There is no sub channel, so I had to throw the switch to go entirely to my bass management. The ambiance comes from the rear speakers, not from the side surrounds, as it should for European mastered SACDs. It is the same orchestra, same conductor and same hall. The only difference being that the hall was empty for the BIS recording.

I played at concert level, and the sound was identical, except that the hall sounded empty with more of an echo. The full MSO in Orchestra Hall with a work like that gets very loud in parts.

Everything on playback here was the same, the typms, basses and cellos perfect along with the upper strings, woodwind and brass section. The trumpets and trombones really blazed. There was no sign of distress, or thermal compression in the rig. It was all just like I heard, except for more reverb from the empty hall. With the excellent BIS recording in 5 channel, it really sounded like being in Orchestra Hall and being a lone member of the audience.

I have not heard any other speakers produce the full wallop of a full symphony orchestra and be totally tonally correct across the entire range.
Wow! Very nice! Those drivers look the Seas Magnesium drivers I have heard before. Speaking of Beethoven, I have been listening to the Robin Hood soundtrack all afternoon. It is so calming for me. Really like what I am hearing so far. Got a lot to learn about my Marantz SR6009 avr. Right now, listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The most engaging speakers, the only ones to ever make me say WOW!, were the JBL L200's. Back in 1974 they cost about $3000.00 for a pair. I could not afford them then and still can not afford a restored pair today. I listened to them at a stereo store in Atlanta Georgia. I came to the store to listen to a pair of JBL 100 Century's, which was what I thought I wanted until I heard the L200's. At any rate, I made no purchase that day. In fact it was almost 13 years later when I finally got a pair of JBL's, the L100t3 model. Until then, I settled for a pair of Sony SSU 2000's, a nock off of the JBL Century's at about half the cost of the JBL's.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Klipschorns were the first speakers that bowled me over. Amazing speakers when set up correctly. I have heard many good ones since then, which were probably a lot better than Klipschorns, but I couldn't say which was the best. Sound Labs, Danley Synergys, JBL Everests, Legacy Vs, ML Neoliths, and so on, all very good.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The best I can afford, I own them. The best I have ever heard, the Focal Utopia.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The best I can afford, I own them. The best I have ever heard, the Focal Utopia.
Oh I so want to hear some Focal Utopia speakers. Heck, I would be happy just to hear any Focal speaker. Maybe one day I will get to.

Cheers,

Phil

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Salk SS8 with Van Alstine equipment & Focal Stella utopia driven by Devialet

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
The rig in my AV room
Out of curiosity, why did you go MTMWW? Why not WMTMW?

I know the merits of each design, but why did you personally go with the Ws at the bottom?

Salk SS8 with Van Alstine equipment & Focal Stella utopia driven by Devialet
Didn't much care for the Scala Utopia, but Jim's SS8 is a terrific speaker. As are the Veracity ST and the Silk Bookshelf I heard at CAS two years ago.

The best sounding speaker I have ever heard is the Salon 2. I have heard hundreds of pairs of speakers, but something about the Salon 2 stands out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My cousin owns a pair of Grand Utopia. I love the built-in 18" subwoofer that can be ACTIVELY bi-amped w/ external amp. ;)

While the treble and midrange are great, they aren't "better" than some other great sounding speakers IMO.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My cousin owns a pair of Grand Utopia. I love the built-in 18" subwoofer that can be ACTIVELY bi-amped w/ external amp. ;)

While the treble and midrange are great, they aren't "better" than some other great sounding speakers IMO.
18" sub? Wow! Really? I really need to check the grand Utopia out then. Holy mackerel.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

The Grand Utopia has a 16" bass woofer, not 18".

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Genelec 1038B is by far best speaker I personally have heard. KEF REFERENCE 5 also was really nice sounding speaker, but I prefer the sound of 1038B more.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oops. My bad. They do look huge. Probably misleading me to think they were 18" big. :)

http://www.grande-utopia-em.com/en/utopia-3/specifications.php
16" still seems huge, considering they typically work in pairs.

By the way, your "ex" 201/2 has the best looking graphs I have seen but you sold them. Your other "ex" speakers Salon 2 probably has the second or third best graphs I have ever seen. Yet you sold them too.:( It just shows the subjective side of things, not everyone would end up sticking with the most accurate speakers for whatever reasons they have.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis