Absolute Best Speaker YOU Have Ever heard?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
16" still seems huge, considering they typically work in pairs.

By the way, your "ex" 201/2 has the best looking graphs I have seen but you sold them. Your other "ex" speakers Salon 2 probably has the second or third best graphs I have ever seen. Yet you sold them too.:( It just shows the subjective side of things, not everyone would end up sticking with the most accurate speakers for whatever reasons they have.
As the saying goes, at the end of the day... :)

There are just so many factors. All of my ex-speakers sound great. All of them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Out of curiosity, why did you go MTMWW? Why not WMTMW?

I know the merits of each design, but why did you personally go with the Ws at the bottom?
I'm sorry I missed this question.

The reason is simple. It is because the design demanded it.

These speakers contain not one but two TLs.

The bottom two drivers are in the long TL. Both drivers handle the below 60 Hz signal, including the LFE channel. The upper 10" driver also handles the BSC for the MTM drivers.

The line containing the MTM drivers is tuned an octave and a half above the longer line containing the 10" drivers. The port of this line is above the upper 10" driver. The ports for the long line are either side right at the top.

This is the smaller line.

The longer line was built round the shorter line.

The MTM produces excellent focus and imaging and limits ceiling and floor reflections. It also allows two drivers and therefore motor systems to handle the crucial 80 Hz to 2.5 KHz range, were the vast amount of the power is. It is NOT below 80 Hz. Subs offload speakers NOT amps and receivers. So this really helps to limit thermal compression. The crossover between the two lines is entirely acoustic. The low pass 60 Hz is fourth order. The BSC upper crossover is first order transitioning to second, with the electronic crossover have the inverse response to the driver response. There are no passive components in these crossovers. The mid tweeter crossover is passive.

This is the response on axis.

You can see response is extended to 20 Hz and being a TL rolls off at only 12 db per octave below that point. Two 10" cones have the same radiating area as one 15" driver. However much of the bass sound is radiated from the pipe ports. You can see the acoustic crossover of the lines between 35 Hz and 60 Hz. The rise at 4K Hz I'm not certain is real. There is no hint of sibilance or forward balance, so I have left well alone. It is very hard to measure a long line of drivers like that. The bass output is prodigious and tight, and no dedicated sub is required.

The reproduction is non resonant and the phase response excellent as can be seen from the impulse response.

If there is another speaker out there with an impulse response as good as that, then I'm yet to see it, or be made aware if it.

The listening test confirm it is so, as the speakers are tight and true to life with no audible ring or overhang.

So the driver layout is totally determined by the demands of the architecture of the pipes.

This is the center TL line.

It uses two coaxial drivers, with the lower one which is the main driver is right above the screen, the second driver provides BSC via an active network. Originally I did not use the tweeter in the driver, but subsequently used it to pull up the response above 9 KHz, and also take out a slight dip at 9 KLHz.

The surrounds are 2.5 way sealed units.

The rears are also dual TLs. You can see the two ports, on above the bass drivers, the other at the top of the speaker.

All powered by this.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

The bottom two drivers are in the long TL. Both drivers handle the below 60 Hz signal, including the LFE channel. The upper 10" driver also handles the BSC for the MTM drivers.

The line containing the MTM drivers is tuned an octave and a half above the longer line containing the 10" drivers. The port of this line is above the upper 10" driver. The ports for the long line are either side right at the top.

The MTM produces excellent focus and imaging and limits ceiling and floor reflections. It also allows two drivers and therefore motor systems to handle the crucial 80 Hz to 2.5 KHz range, were the vast amount of the power is. It is NOT below 80 Hz. Subs offload speakers NOT amps and receivers. So this really helps to limit thermal compression. The crossover between the two lines is entirely acoustic. The low pass 60 Hz is fourth order. The BSC upper crossover is first order transitioning to second, with the electronic crossover have the inverse response to the driver response. There are no passive components in these crossovers. The mid tweeter crossover is passive.

You can see response is extended to 20 Hz and being a TL rolls off at only 12 db per octave below that point. Two 10" cones have the same radiating area as one 15" driver. However much of the bass sound is radiated from the pipe ports. You can see the acoustic crossover of the lines between 35 Hz and 60 Hz. The rise at 4K Hz I'm not certain is real. There is no hint of sibilance or forward balance, so I have left well alone. It is very hard to measure a long line of drivers like that. The bass output is prodigious and tight, and no dedicated sub is required.

The reproduction is non resonant and the phase response excellent as can be seen from the impulse response.

If there is another speaker out there with an impulse response as good as that, then I'm yet to see it, or be made aware if it.

The listening test confirm it is so, as the speakers are tight and true to life with no audible ring or overhang.

So the driver layout is totally determined by the demands of the architecture of the pipes.

It uses two coaxial drivers, with the lower one which is the main driver is right above the screen, the second driver provides BSC via an active network. Originally I did not use the tweeter in the driver, but subsequently used it to pull up the response above 9 KHz, and also take out a slight dip at 9 KLHz.

The rears are also dual TLs. You can see the two ports, on above the bass drivers, the other at the top of the speaker.

All powered by this.

All I can say is WOW! Just Wow! Holy smokes!

Cheers,

Phil

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General

All powered by this.

That is a wicked design. I'm sure it sounds great.

Those Excels are great drivers. I just wish they had more Xmax for my application.

Last edited:
P

prk504

Audioholic Intern
Some of the best speakers I've heard are the B&W 804D3. They have an amazing clarity where you can hear singers breathe compared to just hearing them sing. For instrumental music the Sonus Faber Olympica 3 is the best I've heard.
I realize there are probably better speakers but I have t heard them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
I recently heard a pair of 803d at ABT they were amazing. A few years ago I heard the 804d I'd be happy with those. I love the sound of the b&w's they seem tight but mellow at the same time. what manufacture sounds the closest to them without breaking the bank. I have NHT 2.5i's .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recently heard a pair of 803d at ABT they were amazing. A few years ago I heard the 804d I'd be happy with those. I love the sound of the b&w's they seem tight but mellow at the same time. what manufacture sounds the closest to them without breaking the bank. I have NHT 2.5i's .
How do you think the NHT compares to the B&W?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
you can hear singers breathe compared to just hearing them sing.
You can hear every breath they make, every step they take and every smile they fake with a lot of speakers.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
How do you think the NHT compares to the B&W?
The B&W's seem smoother, more controlled, the bass was full, fast and tight. The singers voice just seems velvety smooth. I feel like for as long as I've had my NHT's they have been pretty awesome but just a little harsh at times. I only had a few minutes at the store (ABT is insanely busy) and my wife was with me.

Last edited:
P

prk504

Audioholic Intern
You can hear every breath they make, every step they take and every smile they fake with a lot of speakers.
What other speakers will give that clarity?
I've only heard that on these B&W and a pair of Avant Garde which were about $100k/PR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What other speakers will give that clarity?
Many speakers from RBH, Revel, KEF, Philharmonic, Linkwitz Lab, TAD, Focal.

It's amazing how the speakers compare when you compare them in the SAME ROOM seconds apart.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Personally, I don't care about other peoples' speakers, only my own. My best speakers, based on the period in which they were used, were Klipschorns and BMW 802 Matrix. The Klipschorns were probably the better of the two, not for sound quality, but for sound quality as available at the time. My current speakers (EMP) are close, actually, and way way cheaper.
FMW
I would give you big two thumbs up on the Klipschorns. I do not have the floorspace or a room that would do them justice. But, hands down those speakers know how to make an impression. For their generation, and heck for a big chunk of this generation, they are quite a sonic achievement. I have listened to a lot of speakers/systems over the years. Many of which made a great impression. The top of the list however has to have a name in it and for my personal top of the list impression made by a speaker, the Klipschorn stands all by iteself.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
Best ever was this system.....https://goo.gl/images/9sud4M
It's one of the only speaker systems I've heard that uses a plasma tweeter.

Next best is the Gryphon Trident 2, which I would buy if I had a room for them.

Within more normal prices, my choice would be B&W 800D3.

I've heard Vivid G2's and Wilson Alexia's on several occasions too and rate them very highly.

Fwiw, I currently own b&w 800 Di's.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Has to be these Tempests. Or at least if gets any better than this, I don't really need to know about it. For one thing, I didn't have to do anything to the room. I put them the only place they can go, toed them in like I would any speaker that has been in here, and they just flat out sound great. This house is only 1100 sq ft. It sounds good everywhere, just a little quieter the closer I get to the back door. It's why I'm not in bed now.

This can't be it, can it? Aren't I supposed to evolve somewhere from here in this hobby? I still need to build subs, yet I am in no hurry. I come home from work, turn it on softly at first, then a song comes on that makes me turn it up. Then it just stays that way.

I've taken up playing the air drums. My hands to feet coordination sucks. I'd be a really sucky drummer but, I can't help it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Has to be these Tempests. Or at least if gets any better than this, I don't really need to know about it. For one thing, I didn't have to do anything to the room. I put them the only place they can go, toed them in like I would any speaker that has been in here, and they just flat out sound great. This house is only 1100 sq ft. It sounds good everywhere, just a little quieter the closer I get to the back door. It's why I'm not in bed now.

This can't be it, can it? Aren't I supposed to evolve somewhere from here in this hobby? I still need to build subs, yet I am in no hurry. I come home from work, turn it on softly at first, then a song comes on that makes me turn it up. Then it just stays that way.

I've taken up playing the air drums. My hands to feet coordination sucks. I'd be a really sucky drummer but, I can't help it.
Those speakers should be quite good. Speakers don't need to cost a fortune to sound great. We shouldn't forget that setup is also a major component. Amazing speakers can not overcome being poorly setup. A good pair of speakers that are properly setup is a great thing.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Toss up between the Infinity IRS listening room at PS Audio offices

....or the Violoncello's running on Einstein tubes at RMAF ballroom an age ago

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

I mean, those Tempests are designed by one of the most respected designers in the industry! And, very well respected in the DIY community.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis