Absolute Best Speaker YOU Have Ever heard?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I have been pondering this question a lot lately. As such, I have decided to create a thread to ask "What Is The Absolute Best Speaker YOU Have Ever Heard?" It has been a progression for me that originated in my car audio days. That is, it served as a means for me to figure out what it is that I really like. You know, my ideal way of how things are supposed to sound.

So, I will answer my own question. The best speaker I have ever heard was without a doubt, the Taylo Linbrook Signature Monitors from Tyleracoustic.com. These are a MTM design that cost in the neighborhood of $2800 a set. I would provide a link for YOU to see, but it appears they are no longer being made.

The Linbrooks used the the Seas Millennium Tweeters and Seas 6 1/2" Magnesium Mid bass drivers. To say that I was utterly blown away with the Linbrooks would easily be an understatement. Ty knows how to build great sounding speakers and his cabinetry work is second to none. Tyler Acoustics is located in Owensboro, Kentucky which is about 26-miles from where I reside.

Here is a kit that would be very close to the Linbrooks:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mtm-speaker-kits/froy-mk3-kit-pair-parts-only/

The things is though, this kit does NOT include the cabinets. For anyone out there that can afford to get this kit AND has good carpentry skills, then I highly recommend it. Sure can see why Ty had the Linbrooks priced at $2800 a set. Actually, I would call that a bargain price myself. Of course, this is way out of my budget range. So, what is the absolute best speaker(s) YOU ever heard? Care to share?

Cheers,

Phil

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
Folks, I have been pondering this question a lot lately. As such, I have decided to create a thread to ask "What Is The Absolute Best Speaker YOU Have Ever Heard?" It has been a progression for me that originated in my car audio days. That is, it served as a means for me to figure out what it is that I really like. You know, my ideal way of how things are supposed to sound.

So, I will answer my own question. The best speaker I have ever heard was without a doubt, the Taylo Linbrook Signature Monitors from Tyleracoustic.com. These are a MTM design that cost in the neighborhood of $2800 a set. I would provide a link for YOU to see, but it appears they are no longer being made.

The Linbrooks used the the Seas Millennium Tweeters and Seas 6 1/2" Magnesium Mid bass drivers. To say that I was utterly blown away with the Linbrooks would easily be an understatement. Ty knows how to build great sounding speakers and his cabinetry work is second to none. Tyler Acoustics is located in Owensboro, Kentucky which is about 26-miles from where I reside.

Here is a kit that would be very close to the Linbrooks:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mtm-speaker-kits/froy-mk3-kit-pair-parts-only/

The things is though, this kit does NOT include the cabinets. For anyone out there that can afford to get this kit AND has good carpentry skills, then I highly recommend it. Sure can see why Ty had the Linbrooks priced at $2800 a set. Actually, I would call that a bargain price myself. Of course, this is way out of my budget range. So, what is the absolute best speaker(s) YOU ever heard? Care to share?

Cheers,

Phil

The B&W 800 Diamond

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The B&W 800 Diamond
I would love to hear the 800 Diamond series. I have heard the 602 S3's and loved them. The Diamonds are much higher in the food chain so to speak. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,

Phil

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
I have never listen to super expensive speakers but I am fortunate enough to enjoy the Tannoy Definition DC10T (father in law speakers) quite often and they sound great. That being said my LS50 are not that far behind.

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have never listen to super expensive speakers but I am fortunate enough to enjoy the Tannoy Definition DC10T (father in law speakers) quite often and they sound great. That being said my LS50 are not that far behind.

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk
I have never heard a Tannoy speakers. But, I am familiar with Andrew Jones. Would love to hear them one day. BTW, can YOU tell me a bit more about the LS50? Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't heard as many as a lot of our AH members.

But, I think the best that I have heard is the Focal Grande Utopia.

I was also VERY impressed with the ML Neolith! And the KEF Blade.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
B&W 802D, KEF original Blade, B&W 804 diamond, and my Focal:D of course..

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't heard as many as a lot of our AH members.

But, I think the best that I have heard is the Focal Grande Utopia.

I was also VERY impressed with the ML Neolith! And the KEF Blade.
Yeah, I would love to hear the Focal Utopia speakers. Have read many good things about them. Perhaps, one day I will get to hear any speaker made by Focal. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Salk SS8 and by far
Jim Salk has a reputation that is second to none. I have never heard any of his speakers. But, sure hope to one day. It is definitely on my to-do list. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
B&W 802D, KEF original Blade, B&W 804 diamond, and my Focal:D of course..
The B&W Diamond speakers are certainly on my to-do list. Have read many good things about them on various forums. Hopefully, I will get to hear them one day. Never have heard a KEF speaker as well. Thanks for sharing Peng!

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have never heard a Tannoy speakers. But, I am familiar with Andrew Jones. Would love to hear them one day. BTW, can YOU tell me a bit more about the LS50? Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Phil
Andrew Jones started at KEF, went to Infinity and then, to Pioneer and their development/pro line TAD (Technical Audio Devices) and now, he's at ELAC. Not sure if the TAD association is what you were referring to.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
My personal favorite speaker I have ever listened to was the Thiel CS3.7.

This was Jim Thiel's last significant speaker system he designed before his passing.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If I win a lottery, I'd like to have the big Steinway-Lyngdorf system because HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!

That said, I think there are some really good sounding speakers that don't cost more than my house and I'm usually more impressed when a small/inexpensive speaker system sounds great. I think better than average sound should be reasonably priced.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Andrew Jones started at KEF, went to Infinity and then, to Pioneer and their development/pro line TAD (Technical Audio Devices) and now, he's at ELAC. Not sure if the TAD association is what you were referring to.
This is very interesting. Never knew AJ was with KEF or Infinity. I am aware that AJ was at TAD and now with Elac. Did he ever have anything to do with Revel? Just curious since you mention AJ was at Infinity.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My personal favorite speaker I have ever listened to was the Thiel CS3.7.

This was Jim Thiel's last significant speaker system he designed before his passing.

Very interesting looking. Have read a great deal about Thiel over the years. Have never heard any of his speakers. But, I do believe Thiel is headquartered in Lexington, KY. Might just have to make my way up there one day and check them out. He truly is an icon in this industry. Thanks for sharing Seth!

Cheers,

Phil

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Very interesting looking. Have read a great deal about Thiel over the years. Have never heard any of his speakers. But, I do believe Thiel is headquartered in Lexington, KY. Might just have to make my way up there one day and check them out. He truly is an icon in this industry. Thanks for sharing Seth!

Cheers,

Phil
Sadly the company is lacking its former glory without him. It's since been acquired by someone else who is more interested in making speakers that look nice than performance first.

Apparently they've completely ditched Thiel's time/phase coherence model as well. :(

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Still waiting to hear that one (so called best) - and it all comes down to the best
for your ears and mind.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Personally, I don't care about other peoples' speakers, only my own. My best speakers, based on the period in which they were used, were Klipschorns and BMW 802 Matrix. The Klipschorns were probably the better of the two, not for sound quality, but for sound quality as available at the time. My current speakers (EMP) are close, actually, and way way cheaper.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Still waiting to hear that one (so called best) - and it all comes down to the best
for your ears and mind.
A big +1 on the mind part. Our ears are some very high-end evolutionary equipment, as is our other senses, but it is subject to the whims of our unstable and double-crossing consciousness. The more I read about this, the more I realize that our body with its senses is a fantastically innovative, cutting-edge vehicle, which, in far too many many cases, is being piloted by an idiot.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis