XTZ Cinema 3X12 Subwoofer Review: Best Value in High Performance Subs?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The XTZ Cinema Series 3X12 subwoofer is one of the most powerful subwoofers we’ve ever tested. As soon as I had a chance to really get into the nuts and bolts of the 3X12, I could tell this was a serious product from a highly capable speaker company. It proved to be unflappable no matter what source material I threw at it or torture test I had it endure. Earning our Extreme Bassaholics rating was no problem thanks to the 3 x 12” high excursion drivers each with its own 500 watt Class D amplifier. This is a serious bass system at a very down to earth price.

Best of all XTZ offers you a 60 day risk free trial with free shipping both ways. But, we are confident you won’t take them up on the return offer.

Read: XTZ Cinema Series 3X12 Subwoofer Review

Attached is our latest subwoofer measurement spreadsheet with all specs, CEA-2010 and Sweep data.

We think the 3X12 is one of the best values in high performance subwoofers. Do you agree?

Attachments

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This is an excellent set of measurements, nearly matching that of the JTR Captivator, and considering its relatively small footprint and nice finish, I do think it is a bargain at its price. It would be a shame if it gets overlooked due to not being one of the continually referenced, go-to ID brands for subs.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
You published your review on the SUB3X12 about 2 weeks before I could post mine Josh, so we need to talk! :D

All kidding aside... I've been extolling the virtues of XTZ for a few years now so it's nice to see someone else doing the same. Hopefully these folks get the recognition they deserve. XTZ makes some fine products, and I for one can see a market for them in NA. Once they get their website squared away perhaps more people will take the plunge and find what we have; excellent products at a reasonable price.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! 60 day trial with free shipping both ways!
The gauntlet has been thrown down!
I would love to see Seaton, JL Audio, or RBH match that!
At 170 pounds, we aren't talking chump change for shipping.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I have to say the results definitely exceeded my expectations. The performance is competitive with top echelon ported subs like the aforementioned RBH and Captivator, and the price considering that as well as the fit and finish isn't bad at all.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Wow! 60 day trial with free shipping both ways!
The gauntlet has been thrown down!
I would love to see Seaton, JL Audio, or RBH match that!
At 170 pounds, we aren't talking chump change for shipping.
RBH is launching an SV version of their SX-1212P/R sub to be sold online at a significantly lower price so that should bridge the gap a bit.

Regardless, the XTZ offering is really incredible at this price and the trial period is really unbelievable!

N

nickboros

Audioholic
Anybody know if XTZ offers a discount for multiple subwoofer purchases at the same time?

R

Ron Olson

Audiophyte
How would you compare these to the XXL golden ear? Seems like a similar price point. Which performs better and represents the better value? Thank you.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would guess the Golden Ear sub is unlikely to have the output, low distortion or overall performance of the 3X12. I would be interested in seeing tests of the Golden Ear sub though, an interesting design though for squeezing a lot of output from a small box. One serious advantage that the Golden Ear sub has is it does not weight 170 lbs.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
How would you compare these to the XXL golden ear? Seems like a similar price point. Which performs better and represents the better value? Thank you.
For the money the SUB3X12 is quite a value (I have one sitting not 5 feet from me as I type this). Realistically speaking, there's little chance the XXL would be able to do what this thing can. GoldenEar's claim it can hit 10Hz is highly suspect as well, so if you're basing a portion of your assessment on their posted specifications you might want to be cautious.

R

Ron Olson

Audiophyte
Jim, I am thinking on SUB3X12 is sufficient. Do most folks use one Sub or two? Thanks.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Jim, I am thinking on SUB3X12 is sufficient. Do most folks use one Sub or two? Thanks.
That depends greatly on many factors, not the least of which are budget, room size, placement options and general usage. There's no generic answer to that question I'm afraid.

J

JDCO

Enthusiast
After reading the review on this. It caught my attention. I had emailed XTZ but have not received a response as of yet. I saw in the mic test that you ran. You laid the sub on its side. And it made me wonder due to room size constraints. Can the sub actually be operated this way more like a center channel position on the floor. This may be a stupid question. Thanks!

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Yes, the sub can be run that way with no ill effects.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
After reading the review on this. It caught my attention. I had emailed XTZ but have not received a response as of yet. I saw in the mic test that you ran. You laid the sub on its side. And it made me wonder due to room size constraints. Can the sub actually be operated this way more like a center channel position on the floor. This may be a stupid question. Thanks!
If you really need to save floor space, the 3X12s are designed to be stackable as well. Check out the pick below! But be aware that you are placing almost 350 lbs on a relatively small footprint, so you need a solid floor to do this on.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That's one sweet sub for the money. DO they ship to Canada?

N

ncampbel

Enthusiast
If you're looking to have just one well tuned seat 1 sub is fine. If you want more than one sweet spot, look at getting two as proper placement of 2 or 4 subs balance out a lot of the room modes making for a more average listening experience across seating positions.

T

Tim_Saxton

Enthusiast
I'm impressed with XTZ. Very nice sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm impressed with XTZ. Very nice sub.

I like to leave annoying advertising when I post: Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This particular XTZ sub or their whole range or? Which one do you have?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis