Welcome to the Jungle

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I think the cnet review said mine fell in line behind I think the 8000/8500s and of course Pioneers for PQ. You've seen Walter's. The gold standard as it were.

I don't really see why there would be a run on Plasmas. S'up with the 4K revolution? Isn't that better or can't they get motion right on LCD?
This might sound a little crazy Alex, I just came back from my cousins house and he got the Samsung Curved 65" from Sam's Club for $1995.00. Out of courtesy I had to go down and check it out. After watching that thing for almost an hour and telling him how great it looks I had to walk away for a while, just can't take that picture, it's like playing a video game. I take my 10+ year old Pioneer Plasma over that Samsung anytime. BTW your system looks great. It's like seeing a little boy growing into a man. I really enjoy that Robert Cray CD "I was warned" you left for me. That's what's playing right now. Might have to get another one because this one is wearing out.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
However, and I'm pretty sure it was a 4K, the motion still looked a little wonky to my eyes.
The 24p capability of this 7000 is a step up from the old Panny but choosing that option results in a higher refresh rate that results in worse black levels. I choose better motion over better black levels at least as far as this display is concerned.

I just came back from my cousins house and he got the Samsung Curved 65" from Sam's Club for $1995.00. Out of courtesy I had to go down and check it out. After watching that thing for almost an hour and telling him how great it looks I had to walk away for a while, just can't take that picture
A $2000 assault on the eyes ... lol. They all benefit from a calibration. After all this time I finally figured out what to look for when setting Sharpness. If you still have that Avia disc you might let him have a go at setting the basic stuff with it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The 24p capability of this 7000 is a step up from the old Panny but choosing that option results in a higher refresh rate that results in worse black levels. I choose better motion over better black levels at least as far as this display is concerned.

The guy I bought it from is like an electronics hoarder, in a good way. So I contacted him and asked him if he had a spare Samsung remote that had buttons on it and he did so he's mailing me one for free. Now I'll finally be able to get the service menu........and you know.......the actual menus. Right now I'm rocking "movie" picture settings since the reviews had said that was the most accurate out of the box. The black levels are awesome, but it can be a touch dark in the daylight. I'm not sure I've thrown any 24p material on the screen yet to see what that looks like. I did test out the 3D for like 5 minutes with Pacific Rim and thought it actually looked half decent.

The more I sit in front of it, the more I know I need to likely part with the Panny and an amp in order to keep both Sammies.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Breaking News: I set my SongTowers to Large. After getting Pandora to work I just didn't like the way the bass sounded crossed at even 60Hz. My pee-pee Infinity PS-10 subs set in corners opposite the towers now get a crossed signal from the center and surrounds plus LFE. This is how it sounds best and I know this because of AH. Thanks.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That Transmission Line design does an amazing job given 5" drivers!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You were right about me needing 'these' speakers.
They did do a commendable job of catapulting you from gradually and incrementally improving your system to getting serious about refining a "final" system! Nice knowing they found such a good home!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
:D

I had one of those PS-10 subwoofers. My major beef with it was the noise it made when I unplugged it. It also made a similar, but far less annoying noise when it was waking up.
My first PS-10 did that and I got it repaired under warranty. It was a diode and a transistor I think. It never had another issue and neither did the second one I bought.

My Rives II disc showed that the PS-10 has a major bump ~60 Hz. I actually EQ that out. Otherwise it's just to boomy.

I think the real problem is that I've heard better and I know better so suddenly less is less.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think the real problem is that I've heard better and I know better so suddenly less is less.
I know the feeling, that's why I hardly go out to listen to other speakers and subwoofers anymore. Plus I feel bad cheating on my speakers. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So I found some free Mahogany ...

I thought it would look good replacing the valance around the top of the blind that goes in the slider. Then I figured the same way they used the valance for light control, I could put like side rails going down the wall. It sounds stupid to me too ...

... but it looks alright.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, but what do these 3 pics have to do with each other?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry, but what do these 3 pics have to do with each other?
In the third pic you can see the Mahogany from the first pic being used to replace the blind valance. The two vertical pieces that I added prevent light from pouring into the corners. The second pic is just the slider minus the blind.

Here's what that side of the room looked like before the boredom hit hard.

Here's a close up of that valance now.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
In the third pic you can see the Mahogany from the first pic being used to replace the blind valance. The two vertical pieces that I added prevent light from pouring into the corners. The second pic is just the slider minus the blind.

Here's what that side of the room looked like before the boredom hit hard.

Here's a close up of that valance now.

Light is your friend! Lol, looks beautiful!

I just tried working with mahogany end of last year as a two tone walnut cutting board that I was sending out as gifts. I appreciate the random grain structure of the wood, and how variations can have beautiful translucence when finished!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it in time out? :D
It deserves to be. Man, I can't believe I put up with that crap for that long. Even now it's only starting off at 40Hz being -6 bd. Seems crazy but that's what the tones read ... and that's with 2 of them! Still, it sounds like it's in a different league with music and LFE. Directionality is greatly reduced. The left sub right beside the #2 LP draws no attention to itself. It seems weird but it's probably got to do with your delay trick and the fact that the right sub is a few db louder ... and no bloat.

Good thing the plate amp fried ... this is the only way anything was going to get upgraded ever.
It now sounds like a sub costing $58.37 more.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds to me like someone needs to experience 18" of slam.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/fs-mach-5-audio-uxl-18-subwoofer-driver.98213/
Personally I'd try to lowball the guy while he still is lusting for 21's.
Condoland, remember? That's why this little sweetening of the bottom is such a big deal. Due to the problematic nature of bass, I was never ever going put money into something I couldn't in good conscience use. Space is tight too, like I'm maxed out with the 10's. Actually I had wanted to build something application specific. TLS worked out an alignment that would fit in those spots and get me below 30Hz but that's $500 in drivers and a bunch of work I don't want to do. I'm super happy with this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis