Receiver upgrade help

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
To me it looks like they are pre outs but for the designated purpose. It looks like your receiver can be set up as a 7.1 receiver with that pre going to either the back wall or up high front wall with the surround going on the side walls. Page 10 in manual shows all the possible setups. The pre outs would need an amp though.
The best way to improve your setup is with the speaker and room layout and setup, possible room acoustic panels.
Yeah, that makes sense about the pre outs. Its not possible to use those for anything but the back wall or up high fronts. That wouldn't click with me until you said what you did. As for my room, unfortunately its kind of a hard room to deal with. Its far from ideal because one whole wall is basically windows. On top of this, there are 6 doorways in this somewhat square room. It makes it hard to arrange things, and of course the one wall that's all windows isn't ideal acoustically. Not much I can do about it I don't guess though.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, that makes sense about the pre outs. Its not possible to use those for anything but the back wall or up high fronts. That wouldn't click with me until you said what you did. As for my room, unfortunately its kind of a hard room to deal with. Its far from ideal because one whole wall is basically windows. On top of this, there are 6 doorways in this somewhat square room. It makes it hard to arrange things, and of course the one wall that's all windows isn't ideal acoustically. Not much I can do about it I don't guess though.
Well, we all do with what we have.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
It looks like your receiver can be set up as a 7.1 receiver
Agree. This looks like a 5.1 AVR, meaning 5 channels are amplified and can be run directly to speakers, (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R). It can provide 2 more channels, (for either Rear Surround L/R or Front Height L/R), but they are not amplified... thus the pre-out designation. To use these you'll need a separate amp.

Similarly, the subwoofer output is not amplified, and called a pre-out. Subs generally take so much power, they have their own amp built in. It's why you have to plug them into the wall socket.

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
The Marantz SR6009 by far has the better savings. All of these AVR's seem to have the basic features that I want right now as well as features I'll utilize later (plenty of pre-outs). They all seem to be a very good step above my current Pioneer (vsx 522-k)!! I just dont know which one to look at getting? I've looked at a few more but I am limited on the height of AVR's I can fit in my space (cannot get above 7 1/8 high). I would also like to have one with wifi, which all of these do have. 4K means nothing to me now, but it might in the future??

Do you guys have any suggestions out of these four AVR's? Is there something that maybe I've overlooked or not considered? Thanks as always!

Denon X4100W 699.00, only $100 savings compared with Amazon (800.00)http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4100w/denon-avr-x4100w-7.2-atmos-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

Marantz SR5009, 499.00, about $300 savings compared with Amazon (795.00)http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5009/marantz-sr5009-7.2ch-100wpc-4k-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

Marantz SR6009, 729.00, $570 savings compared with Amazon (1300.00)http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6009/marantz-sr6009-7.2-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

Yamaha RX-A1040, 749.00, $350 savings compared with Amazon (1100.00)http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa1040bl/yamaha-rx-a1040-7.2-network-aventage-av-receiver-wi-fi/airplay/1.html

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Marantz SR6009 by far has the better savings. All of these AVR's seem to have the basic features that I want right now as well as features I'll utilize later (plenty of pre-outs). They all seem to be a very good step above my current Pioneer (vsx 522-k)!! I just dont know which one to look at getting? I've looked at a few more but I am limited on the height of AVR's I can fit in my space (cannot get above 7 1/8 high). I would also like to have one with wifi, which all of these do have. 4K means nothing to me now, but it might in the future??

Do you guys have any suggestions out of these four AVR's? Is there something that maybe I've overlooked or not considered? Thanks as always!

Denon X4100W 699.00, only $100 savings compared with Amazon (800.00)http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4100w/denon-avr-x4100w-7.2-atmos-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

Marantz SR5009, 499.00, about $300 savings compared with Amazon (795.00)http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5009/marantz-sr5009-7.2ch-100wpc-4k-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

Marantz SR6009, 729.00, $570 savings compared with Amazon (1300.00)http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6009/marantz-sr6009-7.2-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

Yamaha RX-A1040, 749.00, $350 savings compared with Amazon (1100.00)http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa1040bl/yamaha-rx-a1040-7.2-network-aventage-av-receiver-wi-fi/airplay/1.html
If you want to use Audyssey the X4100W is superior, otherwise the RX-A1040 would be my choice. I like Marantz, but I won't pay for the hearsay driven higher cost any more in my future upgrade.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One slight word of caution. You state that height is a problem. I'm assuming it's because the receiver will be stuck in a shelf.

That could potentially be a problem. They generate heat and dissipate it using convection which requires a bit of space above the receiver in order to allow nature to do it's thing.

Try to keep as much space as possible above the receiver. If you jam it in there, you're asking for trouble.

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
If you want to use Audyssey the X4100W is superior, otherwise the RX-A1040 would be my choice. I like Marantz, but I won't pay for the hearsay driven higher cost any more in my future upgrade.
Yeah, that's part of my problem PENG. I don't know how big of an advantage it would be to have MultiEQ XT32 over Yamaha's technology? If its not that big of a deal the Yamaha looks pretty good to me.

I've been trolling for receivers myself. If you don't mind a refurb, you may want to look at the denon AVR-X2200W. It looks like 95w/channel (which is better than your pioneer's 80w?), and has 5.1.2 or 7.1 with atmos + a dts:x firmware upgrade coming later 2015 ... looks like $549 at http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2200w/denon-avr-x2200w-7.2-atmos-full-4k-ultra-hd-a/v-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html ... not bad :)
Thanks Nix, I don't mind a refurb at all and plan on buying from accessories4less. :)

One slight word of caution. You state that height is a problem. I'm assuming it's because the receiver will be stuck in a shelf.

That could potentially be a problem. They generate heat and dissipate it using convection which requires a bit of space above the receiver in order to allow nature to do it's thing.

Try to keep as much space as possible above the receiver. If you jam it in there, you're asking for trouble.

Completely agree with you Mark. I have one of those electric fire place's in my game room. Here is what it looks like:

6fed371d8d71994a7f5f6b1b34887072.jpg

The opening is 7 1/4 inches but its actually 8 3/4 inches inside. I figure if I get an AVR about 7 inches, I'd still have about 1 3/4 inches clearance above the AVR inside the cabinet. Does that make sense? Plus, there is a removable panel on the back of the cabinet which I leave off for more ventilation. Its actually pretty roomy in there and stays well ventilated to my knowledge.

So what do you think Mark? Do you have a preference on one of the AVR's I listed, or perhaps one I've not listed?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The opening is 7 1/4 inches but its actually 8 3/4 inches inside. I figure if I get an AVR about 7 inches, I'd still have about 1 3/4 inches clearance above the AVR inside the cabinet. Does that make sense? Plus, there is a removable panel on the back of the cabinet which I leave off for more ventilation. Its actually pretty roomy in there and stays well ventilated to my knowledge.

So what do you think Mark? Do you have a preference on one of the AVR's I listed, or perhaps one I've not listed?
I think you're cutting it pretty close to the bone but you SHOULD be fine. Personally, I'fd feel ore comfortable with at least twice that much. If you feel the top of the receiver getting hot, well, you lost the gamble.

As for receivers, any should satisfy your needs but I have a soft spot for Denon. The fact that the Denon 2802 I bought in 2003 is still going strong might cloud my judgment, though.

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
I think you're cutting it pretty close to the bone but you SHOULD be fine. Personally, I'fd feel ore comfortable with at least twice that much. If you feel the top of the receiver getting hot, well, you lost the gamble.

As for receivers, any should satisfy your needs but I have a soft spot for Denon. The fact that the Denon 2802 I bought in 2003 is still going strong might cloud my judgment, though.
"Twice that much"......okay. Thanks for telling me that. Perhaps I should consider setting the AVR on top of the fireplace then. The reason I've not done that is because I've experienced overheating in the past with my ps3, so when I got this fireplace I put the ps3 on top and its not overheated since. When I got my ps4, I did the same thing (set it on top). So, with my center speaker (which is quite large), the ps3, and the ps4 all on top of the fireplace, it doesn't leave room for anything else. If I put the AVR on top I'm going to be forced to put the ps3 in the cabinet opening. But hey, I guess if I'm going to take a chance at overheating something I'd rather it be a $200 ps3 rather than a $700 AVR right? :)

So you would go with the Denon. I'm gonna keep looking and thinking about this. I guess since I'll be setting the AVR on top, height isn't an issue anymore, which opens up more options! Oh boy. :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Good thinking.

I've been thinking (be afraid, be very afraid) about those "savings" you show.

I'm not sure, but I think the Denon is a current model and, IIRC, the others might be last years models, hence the "savings" difference. Nobody wants last years goods.

Well, non-thinking people do. Manufacturers add more features each year. They don't necessarily improve anything as far as performance goes. It last years model has the features you need, then go for it. I bought my 2802 as a leftover and haven't missed a thing.

And, I'd not be afraid to go for a Marantz. They're made by the same people that make Denon but generally cost a bit more. IOW, I'd go for a Marantz in a heartbeat if the price were right. Yammie is good, too, but now we're into that Ford vs. Chevy thing we had in HS.

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
Good thinking.

I've been thinking (be afraid, be very afraid) about those "savings" you show.

I'm not sure, but I think the Denon is a current model and, IIRC, the others might be last years models, hence the "savings" difference. Nobody wants last years goods.

Well, non-thinking people do. Manufacturers add more features each year. They don't necessarily improve anything as far as performance goes. It last years model has the features you need, then go for it. I bought my 2802 as a leftover and haven't missed a thing.

And, I'd not be afraid to go for a Marantz. They're made by the same people that make Denon but generally cost a bit more. IOW, I'd go for a Marantz in a heartbeat if the price were right. Yammie is good, too, but now we're into that Ford vs. Chevy thing we had in HS.

Yes, the Denon as far as I could tell was this years model, and this is why it was only $100 less at accessories4less. At least that's what I was assuming. As for the features, these all have what I want. They all have plenty of pre-outs for my future amp. They all have about the same power (110-125 watts). They all have airplay. They also all have wifi, which is something I would need being that my internet comes into the house in a different room. They all have 4k pass through so if I do upgrade my TV in the near future I should be okay there. I'm happy with my current plasma, but you never know when it might die. Its around 8 years old now.

I mean, basically all I wanted to do was upgrade to something that had at least a little more power than my Pioneer and to something that would allow me to use a power amp in the future. As for the rest, its not that crucial to me. I'm really more concerned about quality rather than bells and whistles if that makes sense.

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
Hey, I've been wondering about Audyssey. Is the calibration process difficult or is it pretty user friendly? I didn't know how technical it was or if its pretty much a follow the directions on the screen thing? I don't have an SPL meter or anything like that and if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not real tech savvy, LOL!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
As far as Audyssey goes, I'll have to ask my colleagues to step in here.

As for the receivers you mention, there's not a dog among the bunch. You can't really go wrong with any of 'em.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'd still have about 1 3/4 inches clearance...there is a removable panel on the back of the cabinet which I leave off for more ventilation.
I don't know if you're willing, but perhaps you could cut some additional holes in the side of your cabinet w/ a hole saw. It would give the air a path to flow.

It is what I did with mine. Has worked fine for about a year now. There are many additional holes you cannot see in the picture, but it gives you an idea.
upload_2015-9-8_9-5-12.png

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
I don't know if you're willing, but perhaps you could cut some additional holes in the side of your cabinet w/ a hole saw. It would give the air a path to flow.

It is what I did with mine. Has worked fine for about a year now. There are many additional holes you cannot see in the picture, but it gives you an idea.
View attachment 16635
Thx for the tip herbu. That will likely come in handy at a latter time with a different cabinet. However, for my current setup I don't believe that I could benefit from it. There are two rectangular panels, one on each side, on the back of my cabinet. On the side where I have the AVR, I simply leave that whole back panel off for extra ventilation, as well as for all the wires/cables to go out. So its basically all open directly behind my AVR. There is also plenty of open space to each side of the AVR. The only place its close is directly above the AVR, which only allows about 2 inches or so clearance. It might look closer than 2 inches in the picture, but that's because the opening on the front of my cabinet is narrower than it is inside.

WIN_20150908_15_36_13_Pro.jpg

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Thx for the tip herbu. That will likely come in handy at a latter time with a different cabinet. However, for my current setup I don't believe that I could benefit from it. There are two rectangular panels, one on each side, on the back of my cabinet. On the side where I have the AVR, I simply leave that whole back panel off for extra ventilation, as well as for all the wires/cables to go out. So its basically all open directly behind my AVR. There is also plenty of open space to each side of the AVR. The only place its close is directly above the AVR, which only allows about 2 inches or so clearance. It might look closer than 2 inches in the picture, but that's because the opening on the front of my cabinet is narrower than it is inside.

View attachment 16637
OK. The front of your cabinet is open. Mine has glass doors that close.

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
So, when it comes time for me to buy an amplifier, what should I be looking for exactly? Would this one suffice?
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marmm7025/marantz-mm7025-2-channel-power-amplifier/1.html

I realize its only two channels, but I assume (?) this would be sufficient for me. Im only running a 5.1 system and the chances of me ever trying to run anything more are slim to none. I mean that could change in 15 years or so when my kids are grown, but not before then. Im just not sure what I should be looking for. Is a two channel amp all I should need?

This amp I've linked is 140 watts. This is 140 watts per channel correct? If so, and I believe it is, that would be plenty to run to my left and right fronts. Then, I could let my AVR power the center and two surrounds correct? I don't really want to spend $1,000 on an amp. I'd love to be able to get something for around $500 but I don't want to be wasting my money either.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Unless you go bat-s**t crazy with the volume, that should provide adequate listening levels.

If you do want more power, Emotiva offers some kick-butt amps at reasonable prices.

https://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/amplifiers-0

Oh, one added advantage is that you can mount the power amp away from the other components. since the amps generate the most heat, this will lessen your thermal vulnerability.

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
Unless you go bat-s**t crazy with the volume, that should provide adequate listening levels.

If you do want more power, Emotiva offers some kick-butt amps at reasonable prices.

https://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/amplifiers-0

Oh, one added advantage is that you can mount the power amp away from the other components. since the amps generate the most heat, this will lessen your thermal vulnerability.

Ahh, thank you Mark. I've been trying to look at some amps but accessories4less don't have much to look at. I went to Amazon and that's a cluster **** trying to look there. When I search amazon it keeps pulling up car amps and a bunch of crap I don't want. I went to Denon and Marantz's websites and they don't have but a couple of options.

Let me ask you this.....is there any reason to shy away from mixing brands when it comes to AVR's and power amps? Like if I get a Denon AVR, is it perfectly fine to use an Emotiva amp? Thanks again!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis