Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The Samsung plasmas have a well know rep for buzzing.
But I thought not the 64", which is why I paid the huge premium for that size. Off to the side, it sounds just a bit louder than my Panny (but it is larger, so not too odd). Head on...good lord...I don't think it's right. Maybe after I change some settings it'll calm down, but I don't know. Turning the picture off (with the TV on) makes it dead silent, so it's definitely related to the panel.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Initial reaction - amazing!

Second reaction - enormous disappointment. This thing buzzes INCREDIBLY loudly if I'm actually sitting in front of it...which seems like the normal place people sit relative to a TV. That, and the *&%$ing screen filter makes off-axis viewing worse than almost any LCD screen I've seen. Odds are high that this will get returned, with the buzz being my claim of it being defective because I think it is.
you obviously got a panel that is louder than most as the 64 inchers really dont get many complaints about buzzing it was mostly the 60 that is noisy. In regards to your picture that too seems odd as my panel is good out of the box at off axis viewing positions after I plugged in Kevin Millers (Calibrator) settings this thing rivals my Kuro500M.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Adam before you panic about picture quality apply these settings

PN64F8500 Movie Mode Calibration Settings

Picture mode: Movie
Cell Light: 15
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 5
Color: 50
Advanced Settings
-Dynamic Contrast: Off
-Black Tone: Off
-Flesh Tone: 0
-RGB Only Mode: Off
-Color Space: Auto
-10p White Balance: On
Interval 1
 Red -1
 Green -1
 Blue +1

Interval 2
 Red 0
 Green 0
 Blue 0

Interval 3
 Red -1
 Green -1
 Blue 0

Interval 4
 Red -1
 Green 0
 Blue +2

Interval 5
 Red +1
 Green +2
 Blue +1

Interval 6
 Red +4
 Green +5
 Blue +3

Interval 7
 Red -1
 Green +3
 Blue +2

Interval 8
 Red +3
 Green +3
 Blue 0

Interval 9
 Red +4
 Green +4
 Blue +2

Interval 10
 Red -6
 Green 0
 Blue -3

-Gamma: 0
-Expert Pattern: Off
-Motion Lighting: Off
Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Normal
Film Mode: Auto2
Motion Judder Canceller: Off
Black optimizer: Dark room

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
you obviously got a panel that is louder than most as the 64 inchers really dont get many complaints about buzzing it was mostly the 60 that is noisy. In regards to your picture that too seems odd as my panel is good out of the box at off axis viewing positions after I plugged in Kevin Millers (Calibrator) settings this thing rivals my Kuro500M.
Yep, it was your post that led me to the 64". :D Oh, well. Somebody's going to get the dud - sometimes it's me. The off-axis, I guess, it top and bottom viewing angles. That's noted in at least some of the pro reviews that I've read, now that I'm reading them. Thing goes pretty much black when I get near it, or if I'm standing and walking past it...as I'm want to do. I never saw any shifting on the Panny, so this is a bit distracting. If it was quiet, I'd probably live with it. Well, quieter. I happen to see Kevin Miller's stuff on tweaktv.com. I wasn't sure how exactly to use it because it didn't have all of the settings (that I saw). Does he start with Movie mode? I didn't read the article, just went to the PDFs at the end. Perhaps I should read it...

EDIT: Ah, you beat me to it! Thanks!

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Theres probably not much you can do about buzzing except exchange for a different panel.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Theres probably not much you can do about buzzing except exchange for a different panel.
Which I doubt that have anymore, at least new ones. At least if it's defective, they shouldn't charge me restocking or anything. I'll give it a couple of days.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
My wife and I just turned on Netflix and started a Pixar movie then I lowered the volume all the way down and we both listened for buzzing I have to put my ear within 6 inches of the back of the unit to hear a slight hum and wife says she can hear it from about a foot away after that she can not hear it at all so I am fine with it since viewing distance should be about ten feet for this thing.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
But I thought not the 64", which is why I paid the huge premium for that size. Off to the side, it sounds just a bit louder than my Panny (but it is larger, so not too odd). Head on...good lord...I don't think it's right. Maybe after I change some settings it'll calm down, but I don't know. Turning the picture off (with the TV on) makes it dead silent, so it's definitely related to the panel.
Yes the 64 was supposed to be silent. I even read a review that touted that Samsung has finally solved the buzzing issue with the 64. As long it buzzes less than the 8000 I'll be happy.

Sorry you got a dud. Maybe it won't be that bad. Worst comes to worst Rick will buy it and try to make out with me.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know if this is true or not but they (official samsung thread) are saying that a power conditioner will help to tame any buzzing. I will try this out with my APC but I can hardly hear the buzz /Hum now so I don't know if I would be able to tell.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know if this is true or not but they (official samsung thread) are saying that a power conditioner will help to tame any buzzing. I will try this out with my APC but I can hardly hear the buzz /Hum now so I don't know if I would be able to tell.
Do you know if they're saying that for the 8500 only or for all Sammy plasma models?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, guys. I forgot that I plugged it straight into the wall just to get the quick checkout while the delivery guys were here, so I switched it over to my Furman power conditioner. No change. Still a buzzing. Again, while slightly annoying off to the side but honestly not that much louder than the Panasonic, it's kind of obnoxious right in front of it on my couch about twelve feet away. I still wonder if it's reflecting off the walls or something. It actually still buzzed pretty loud when the screen was totally black and it was switching over the Amazon Instant Video, so now I'm not sure what's causing it.

My issue aside - congrats, Rob! I'm sincerely happy that you got a great one that you're happy with! Fuzz, I sure hope that you get a great one, too. I definitely see the potential in this thing. As much as I don't like the "soap opera" effect, I'm actually mesmerized by how it could actually ever look like that. I watched parts of Guardians of the Galaxy, and it's like watching the filming of the movie as if I were in the room. The effect is like watching some low budget British sci-fi show, but I still find myself thinking it's cool because I don't know how it's done.

The screen filter still annoys me a bit because it's not that uncommon for me to be near it, either standing or on the ground, where it starts to black out - my house just isn't that big, and I'm not that far from the TV. I also sit on the ground in front of it to eat with Niki. However, it's the buzz that might be that final nail. I'll definitely contact Amazon and Samsung first to see if there's something that I can do about it, but I bought this because I thought it was one of the best TVs out there...and I'm just not feeling it for how I use it. I admit that I'm worn out after getting ready for it and then getting it installed, and I apologize for whining.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry to hear that it's not living up to the hype. I'm more curious than ever to see what it looks like after what you've been saying. I'm also curious to compare it to the 8000 and see what "improvements" were made from that model to this model.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I can NOT stand that soap opera effect, and even when its turned off I feel it is still there. I think this boils down to, a picture can be too good, I will spend $10K on a sound system but when it comes to tv's $800 for a 60" is about my max budget, lol...

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Adam you are 100 % correct about the black screen buzzing , that was talked about in depth over "There" and when the panel is on , no volume and a black screen it really should be about as quiet as possible at least not the same buzz with a screen in full bloom. I do think you may have received one out of every 30 or so that has an issue besides a cracked screen which only relates to handling. Sorry Buddy , I hope you can get a replacement and I think you can Amazon had 32 available through yesterday and last night.
The soap opera effect is simply another setting, that is a kewl feature about these panels that it can be turned off whereas it can not be turned off on the led/lcd smart tv at least thats what I am reading on a 4k thread I don't have first hand knowledge of this.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
On the bright side, it probably won't be capable of buzzing very loudly when I run hot water in a couple of weeks. :D

"Not enough power available...can't buzz annoyingly...so weak..."

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Trying to wall mount my 50" isn't the dumbest thing that I've ever done - but it probably holds that title in recent history. Eeee. Still not there, but at least the TV is off the floor and within about two feet of the mount. I just hope my wanting to my self sufficient hasn't damaged the TV. Could have had this all done in about five minutes if I just walked over and asked my neighbor, but no...I'd rather spend over two hours in discomfort. :oops: :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I suppose being able to do this myself will come in handy if my neighbors ever turn into zombies.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Trying to wall mount my 50" isn't the dumbest thing that I've ever done - but it probably holds that title in recent history. Eeee. Still not there, but at least the TV is off the floor and within about two feet of the mount. I just hope my wanting to my self sufficient hasn't damaged the TV. Could have had this all done in about five minutes if I just walked over and asked my neighbor, but no...I'd rather spend over two hours in discomfort. :oops: :D
So does that mean the Sammy is back in the box?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis