Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The 60" 8500 Rick linked for $1500 but I think the 64" was like $2500. That right?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, shucks. You guys got me so excited, that when I saw that I could order it - I did. But, it wouldn't add to my cart. I tried a few times, but now joy. Oh, well.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It was $2500 when I asked the question, but I don't know what the "sale" price is.
I don't think it was available at $2500 when I checked. But there it is. At BB the 60" came to about $1600 with tax so that works out to me saving a grand from the price that made them all go away. Two hundred bucks an inch. We'll just never know what YAA and Rob paid.

EDIT: Math conflict alert. It's a grand savings per inch for me and the 64" is another gra ... oh never mind. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, he's being pretty quiet about it.

I got all the way to finalize the order...but it was out of stock when I went to confirm. For the best. I don't actually want one. I'm just caught up in the moment. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It was $2500 when I asked the question, but I don't know what the "sale" price is.
Sorry, sorry. I paid $2497 + tax which came to $2650 with prime shipping. Although you had to pick which day you wanted it delivered and then a time slot. The TV that I can't afford and which may eventually get sold will be here December 20th sometime before noon.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, he's being pretty quiet about it.

I got all the way to finalize the order...but it was out of stock when I went to confirm. For the best. I don't actually want one. I'm just caught up in the moment. :D
You know you want one :D And if you really don't, you can always sell it for $3500+ in a month or two when they're really impossible to find.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just bought one. I'm assuming that I can change my mind before they come into stock. *fingers crossed*

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
See, that's another reason why I'm thinking of ditching the E8000. It hums, very subtly. From where I sit I'm 95% sure I can't hear it, but I know it's there and that bothers me. Is that weird?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
To me, it was more about Rob saying that the 60" hum could be heard from 10' away. You know what I think about that. :)
I read something about humming with my 7000 and took the girl up with me. I told her about the issue and we both couldn't hear anything from the guy's neighbors house but in the room? It sounded like a tractor.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So, Best Buy has those Sammy's for the same price, with delivery over a week sooner. Hmmm.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, I'd appreciate it if you guys could school me on why I should or should not get that Samsung. What makes it better than their other plasma models that cost about half as much (the 5000 series)? I'm totally ignorant and pretty much bought it on impulse. I'll probably cancel the order, especially because Best Buy has them for the same price - and they're only two miles away in case something goes wrong.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Okay, I'd appreciate it if you guys could school me on why I should or should not get that Samsung. What makes it better than their other plasma models that cost about half as much (the 5000 series)? I'm totally ignorant and pretty much bought it on impulse. I'll probably cancel the order, especially because Best Buy has them for the same price - and they're only two miles away in case something goes wrong.
Unless I'm mistaken BB is totally sold out of them. It lets you add them to your cart and even get so far as to choose the store you want to pick it up at. However, when you select a store it spits back an "I'm sorry this is not available at the store you've selected" and proceeds to do that to all of your options listed. It also does something similar when you select delivery. It might be different for you, but I'd try it first before you cancel.

The 5000 IIRC uses a different type of panel altogether that utilizes some mumbo jumbo tech called a pentile display, where instead of going RGB RGB RGB RGB, it does something like GB GR GB GR and alternates. This might lead to a little more cross hatching, less fludity, and a little more blurring.

Overall it's supposed to be a great TV, but without question a step below the 8500. What I'm most dissappointed about is the fact that Samsung was developing a 7000 series that was supposed to have the PQ of the 8500, just stripped down in terms of feature set (possibly non 3D etc), but the canned it when they discontinued plasmas.

FWIW

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/pn64h5000-201403143657.htm

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, Fuzz! I sure appreciate the info! The fact that you're buying one makes me thing, hmmm - probably worth it. Then again, you couldn't hold on to a nickel to save your life, whereas I hold on to them so tight that they'd turn into diamond if they were carbon.

I'm just not sure that I want to shell out that price premium for the 64". Maybe I should just hold out for 4k to get better, maybe even early next year. I haven't been paying much attention to TV specs. Heck, I just bought mine about 5.5 years ago. I kept my other one for 15 years. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, Fuzz! I sure appreciate the info! The fact that you're buying one makes me thing, hmmm - probably worth it. Then again, you couldn't hold on to a nickel to save your life, whereas I hold on to them so tight that they'd turn into diamond if they were carbon.

I'm just not sure that I want to shell out that price premium for the 64". Maybe I should just hold out for 4k to get better, maybe even early next year. I haven't been paying much attention to TV specs. Heck, I just bought mine about 5.5 years ago. I kept my other one for 15 years. :)
5.5 years? I got mine before you IIRC. I guess the one before that was a 32" that we got ... in 2005? Not bad.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis