Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
... so jealous. It's ugly, really. Like mean envy. Normally I'm never this focused. *exhales*
I may have exaggerated. It won't be total slackerdom. I'll have to spend some amount of time reviewing all of the free stuff that I get. :D

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'll have to spend some amount of time reviewing all of the free stuff that I get. :D
Oh Geez!!! You put a link to some of your reviews in a post, and I read through some of them. The one for a laxative made the biggest impression on me. You said something like, "I tried it for the last 4 weekends...". OMG!!! I thought, now here's a guy who REALLY takes his reviews seriously! I pray you never get a fire extinguisher to review!!! :eek:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm taking next week off on vacation - so I have nine days of pure slackerdom in my future.
I took time off in October, went to New Mexico, Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Since coming back, cold dark winter has arrived with a sudden jolt. It's only been about a month and I need another vacation.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Oh Geez!!! You put a link to some of your reviews in a post, and I read through some of them. The one for a laxative made the biggest impression on me.
Funny that you should mention that. I'm test driving a new one right now. :eek: :D

Yeah, I really need to get a hobby or something.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Brenda came home ate dinner and slept on our bed. Now six weeks on recovery and she can go to work...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Go get beer now.
You have to beat the holiday rush.o_O
Now there's a thought. I'm running low.

About a year ago, some guy from Baltimore contacted me about building new crossovers, like I did years ago, for some old JBL L100 speakers he found on ebay. He ordered all the parts, delivered them to me, and I made the boards. In the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, he brought the speakers to my house and we installed the new boards. It took all afternoon, but everything worked. I was relieved because who knows what you get with 35 year old speakers from ebay.

He asked what he owed me for the work, and I said a 6 pack of some nice Belgian beer would be nice. He brought about a case of assorted different Belgians! I especially liked the Piraat Ale. After a year, it's nearly all gone.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
o_O
I may have exaggerated. It won't be total slackerdom. I'll have to spend some amount of time reviewing all of the free stuff that I get. :D
Cheryl's niece just bought a house so I have a truck full of doors and frames off a job. Solid core Maple veneer. 3-0 x 7-0, some knock down frames and 5 or 6 bundles of stud. You know those cute trucks with the doors and tiny beds all up in the air? They're fake. If it ain't an 8 foot bed ... ugh. Anyway I need to unload that ... before rain/Monday.

Now that the Aragon is yanked, I already miss it. Can you not see how I NEED Matt's 4311 ... People? What if I only amp up the center? That seems to be the channel missing it's zing. Is it my imagination? Is this the plateau? The end of the upgrade was a backward slide? What ?!? o_O

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
o_O

Cheryl's niece just bought a house so I have a truck full of doors and frames off a job. Solid core Maple veneer. 3-0 x 7-0, some knock down frames and 5 or 6 bundles of stud. Anyway I need to unload that ... before rain/Monday.
That's a great move. Tell her we said good luck!
They sound like nice doors too.

Now that the Aragon is yanked, I already miss it. Can you not see how I NEED Matt's 4311 ... People? What if I only amp up the center? That seems to be the channel missing it's zing. Is it my imagination? Is this the plateau? The end of the upgrade was a backward slide? What ?!? o_O
Or try running the center a little hot?
I'm always torn. So much material gets sent to the center channel.
It's a juggling act, between hearing dialogue (being loud enough) and not over heating the voice coil.
I over think stuff. Always knowing the power has to dissipate somehow and the voice coil gets a lot of heat.
Speakers that have phase plugs, that helps.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
How about the price? Is that a good reason not to?
It's an excellent reason not to, but they're part of a kit so the price for everything is reasonable-ish.

How much are they? What do you wanna do with 'em?
Pondering another Jeff Bagby kit. I listen to the bookshelves I built of his often, since I moved them to school so now I'm thinking of building a new kit of his. RAAL 70-20, a pair of SB woofers, in a floorstanding TMM 2.5 way design with ML-TL bass alignment.

Should I be buying a pair?
You can't, unless it's as part of a kit. They're still companies only, otherwise yes, yes you should. :D

Living room calibrated with speakers set to small and full DRC on everything. 90% of the time that's what I want. rx-v663 driving center and surrounds. Small Marantz monoblocks driving the mains.

Now I gotta get rid of all this freakin' wire. Sheesh.
Man, so busy. All I managed to do was put together the Salamander rack I've had in a box for 2 months.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I am ready to go home.... Maine has kicked my but..... We are leaving freeport in the morning, don't ever bring your wives here, it is a shopping mecca, that they can not resist, I think she did all her xmass shopping for this year and next, lol...

Anyway, we are staying at the hilton and I think I broke the mini fridge, can't wait to see what they charge me for that... I thought the door opened from the left turns out it doesn't but it does now...

Im holding the door in my hand and my wife is like "go easy" Im like "its a fkin fridgerator it shouldnt break that easy" she replied, "its just a little one, now fix it".. But I cant fix it, maybe in the morning, but not now, Im gonna need duct tape..

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Pondering another Jeff Bagby kit. I listen to the bookshelves I built of his often, since I moved them to school so now I'm thinking of building a new kit of his.
After you're done grading papers. :)
Would you be kind enough to send me a link/PM or two to the Jeff Bagby kits you're talking about? Thanks.
I did a brief search and don't think I found all of them.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
After you're done grading papers. :)
Would you be kind enough to send me a link/PM or two to the Jeff Bagby kits you're talking about? Thanks.
I did a brief search and don't think I found all of them.
Here's the kit I built, the Mandolins. They're a medium sized bookshelf that deliver a ton of performance/dollar IMO. I think I probably like their sound and overall presentation more than the SVS Ultra bookshelves I have. Plus I think they dig a little deeper as well.

Meniscus audio has a bunch of Jeff's kits, including the Kairos and Adelphos. Both of which are reference monitor type speakers. Now the one's I was referencing are basically the Kairos/Adelphos with a RAAL 70-20XR. IIRC, there's a TM version, an MTM, and a 2.5 way TMM tower that can be built sealed, PR, or ML-TL. All the RAAL version are by inquiry only through Meniscus for the time being. Here's what the PR version looks like. I'm looking into the ML-TL version.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Not speaker related, but this happened to pop into my mind after reading someone's comment online about an intern thinking that Washington, D.C. was up by Oregon.

I remember asking a freshman in physics to measure out some distance in a lab that I was working in back in grad school, and then after my brain comprehended what he said to me and I pushed my jaw back into place, I spent the next five to ten minutes explaining to him how to use a tape measure and what all of the numbers and little marks between the numbers meant.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
RAAL

2.5 Way

ML-TL

... let's just say you have my attention.
Jeff has built one or two designs in his day and his comments about this little tower have been that he can't stop listening to them. IMO, that's a pretty big indictment given how positive the comments have been about the Kairos from people who have built them and himself. I feel the compulsive urge to build them and see how they fair against the Phil 3's. RAAL/ML-TL vs RAAL/ML-TL. Both ML-TL's were designed by Paul K.

Jeff also said he was looking into a 3-way design of the tower using, possibly the CSS SDX10 or an SB woofer. However, when I asked him what sort of time frame he had in mind for that he told me, "...don't hold your breathe." So it looks like that will be awhile if at all. Still, if I build this tower I'll have almost all the parts for the 3-way version so I could always do a re-build if the fancy strikes me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis