Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Fair enough indeed, so I suppose you gonna play Eagles HFO thru them right away, no?? :p;)
BTW, congrats on your new toys :cool:
Thanks! Hell Freezes Over might have to be on the menu this evening...

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well I'm not going TV shopping this weekend or anything :D

Learned something new about the UMC-200 tonight. IME, usually setting "Direct" mode disables bass management and sends a full range signal to the main speakers with two channel material. So I was sitting here listening to a few tunes (including The Eagles :D) and decided to switch over to Direct mode just to see what the R500s could do on their own. Talk about a WTF moment (especially since I like to use a higher than average XO). Fortunately I decided to go back and set them to large, just for good measure.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Well I'm not going TV shopping this weekend or anything :D

Learned something new about the UMC-200 tonight. IME, usually setting "Direct" mode disables bass management and sends a full range signal to the main speakers with two channel material. So I was sitting here listening to a few tunes (including The Eagles :D) and decided to switch over to Direct mode just to see what the R500s could do on their own. Talk about a WTF moment (especially since I like to use a higher than average XO). Fortunately I decided to go back and set them to large, just for good measure.
Steve if you read my review, you would know all the bass management stuff about the UMC-200 :)

Emotiva UMC-200 AV Preamp / Processor Review | Audioholics

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Steve ignored a review from the Master Chief? I think that's a yellow card right there. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Actually the review was one of the reasons I bought the unit in the first place, though it's been a while since I read it. Skimming through it now, I don't see this particular tidbit mentioned, i.e. "Direct" mode will disable the subwoofer but still maintain the high pass filter on the main speakers.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yup....its nice when you have a WTF moment with a really good set of speakers. It wasn't until Alex pointed out a few things on his visit that I realized what I was missing...so I have them now set to large w/sub & ARC turned off...pretty good I'd say. Only things missing for me are:

1. a larger display(70+) &
2. a new BRD player.

Congrats on the new speakers...Sir....that finish looks sweet...:)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Actually the review was one of the reasons I bought the unit in the first place, though it's been a while since I read it. Skimming through it now, I don't see this particular tidbit mentioned, i.e. "Direct" mode will disable the subwoofer but still maintain the high pass filter on the main speakers.
Steve;

I did find a few bass management issues with my UMC-200 sample which I documented in the review. However, I am fairly confident my review sample passed full range signal to the mains even if they were set to small and you hit "direct mode". You may want to confirm you have the latest FW in your unit and/or report this to Emotiva.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'll double check the FW version, but I had looked at it in the last six months or so and it was up to date. I shot them an e-mail though to see if its "normal" behavior.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Sir....that finish looks sweet...:)
It's a huge step up over the Q-series Black Oak finish for sure. Also helped to get the wife on board with this upgrade :D

As far as first impressions go: the sound seems a fair bit cleaner at the spirited levels I like, and imaging is improved as well. I'd attribute the latter in no small part to the excellent pair matching and the dead cabinets (the Q's were pretty lively by comparison). Tonal balance is fairly similar, i.e. a laid back treble, and the bottom end was more capable than what I was expecting.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
the bottom end was more capable than what I was expecting.
Alright, alright, alright ... :D

Hey, without searching for pic's I want to ask if you could work the old Q towers into surround duty.

Dr. Carter would approve.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Alright, alright, alright ... :D

Hey, without searching for pic's I want to ask if you could work the old Q towers into surround duty.

Dr. Carter would approve.
I've done it before in my old Klipsch setup, but:
a. I prefer the more diffuse sound of bipoles/dipoles
b. the right side surround spot is...less than ideal. A tower would be firing into the back of the sofa and there's also an inconveniently located load bearing column.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'll double check the FW version, but I had looked at it in the last six months or so and it was up to date. I shot them an e-mail though to see if its "normal" behavior.
Apparently it is normal:

With digital inputs, Direct means no post processing (no sound field modes) and no bass management (so if there is no .1 or sub track it won't mix one), but x-overs, distances, and levels do apply . For analog sources, Direct is whatever comes in.... goes out, full range, no distances, no levels, no bass management.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
It's a huge step up over the Q-series Black Oak finish for sure. Also helped to get the wife on board with this upgrade :D

As far as first impressions go: the sound seems a fair bit cleaner at the spirited levels I like, and imaging is improved as well. I'd attribute the latter in no small part to the excellent pair matching and the dead cabinets (the Q's were pretty lively by comparison). Tonal balance is fairly similar, i.e. a laid back treble, and the bottom end was more capable than what I was expecting.

Yup...imaging was the single most notable improvement for me...followed by soundstage. When I am sitting in the main LP....I'm the most happiest.

Cheers...:)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks really nice...... Maybe I should try your approach of getting speakers with furniture grade cabinetry so that I can get it past my wife. :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Got the new TV in today. Went from a Samsung UN46EH6000 to a UN60H7150.
TV.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis