What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Since I lost most of my fav. lens to salt water...Old School Pentax 135mm 2.8 Manual Lens.:D Dirt Cheapo with nice Bokeh. Gonna need a Canon FD to Canon EOS adapter with AF chip:

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Bought a lot of new stuff since moving in, although the only thing of any real note is a new computer chair. However, hopefully something a little more interesting will be getting ordered in the next few weeks. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Long story short, old laptop dead, new laptop is born.

15" Macbook Pro
2.3 GHz quad core i7 processor
16GB 1600MHz RAM
512 GB PCIe flash storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory

Also purchased to replace a non-functioning NAS was this

And finally one of these:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Contrags Fuzz on new toys!
What happen to old NAS? (btw: R4 which you bought is not a NAS, but a DAS :) as in Direct Attached Storage)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
While I am glad you are happy with your new toys I still cannot understand the need to spend 3x more just to have a pretty packaging and a the same internal hardware as a PC. To each there own.

D

Drunder40

Audioholic Intern
Center speaker? Why would anyone use a center speaker?

Kidding. My center speaker can't be moved unless I mount it on the wall above the TV. I don't want to do that. I thought about sticking a couple of rubber door stops under it to angle it up, but I haven't found the motivation yet. I think it sounds great where it is. My ears are only about 9° above it when I'm sitting, which doesn't seem to be enough to affect the sound noticeably. If you're curious, this is what my center speaker looks like without the grille.

My sub is behind the seats facing a corner. Behind the seats is the only place there's room for it, and facing the corner is what sounds the best. I've also got Aura Bass Shaker Pros mounted under my seats, which are great fun for movies.

Only real complaint about my sub is that its auto on / off isn't as sensitive as I'd like. When my receiver is at doctor's office volume level, my sub doesn't always turn on. I've thought about replacing the plate amp with one that has a defeatable auto standby, but it's always been too low priority for me to address. My hackish workaround is to turn the sub's gain down below 9-o'clock and turn the sub channel on the receiver up to +6dB.
Hi, I had a similar issue where my Sub (on auto) would only come on when the volume was above 35ish. I went into the Setup/Speaker/Config and saw where the Sub was turned down to -10 (I think the Yamaha YPAO did this). I put it at like -3 and now it starts to rumble at much lower volumes.. Just a thought..

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
LOL those were the days. Actually, since I wrote that post, I got a Paradigm sub to pair with the JBL, a miniDSP, and a Niles AC3 voltage-triggered power strip. The Paradigm's auto on is defeatable, so I use the Niles to handle auto on/off using the trigger out from my receiver. At low volumes, I don't really miss the JBL if it fails to engage as I've still got subwoofage from the Paradigm. But at some point I will replace the JBL and hand-me-down it to my brother. For now, though, the JBL's not-quite-sensitive-enough auto on isn't nearly as irritating as it once was. I never think about it any more, to be honest.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Contrags Fuzz on new toys!
What happen to old NAS? (btw: R4 which you bought is not a NAS, but a DAS :) as in Direct Attached Storage)
Not sure. The case was a little disheveled when I unpacked it so I'm thinking it got knocked around a bit during the move. Anyways, it won't power on so I got the Pegasus unit. Since you're around I need a quick tutorial in RAID when you get a chance. :D

While I am glad you are happy with your new toys I still cannot understand the need to spend 3x more just to have a pretty packaging and a the same internal hardware as a PC. To each there own.
When it comes to just about anything else I'm pretty logical. When it comes to computers, I've had a Mac since I was 10 and ain't switching now :p I don't hate PC's and if anyone asks me for help finding a new computer I usually steer them away from Mac's or point out that you can get more for less money with PC's, but I love'em and will always have one even if I do switch over to PC's for everyday computing in the future.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure. The case was a little disheveled when I unpacked it so I'm thinking it got knocked around a bit during the move. Anyways, it won't power on so I got the Pegasus unit. Since you're around I need a quick tutorial in RAID when you get a chance. :D
I don't want to bore you with too much details, but probably Raid 10 would you best call - two disk mirrored and striped to other pair. This should give you up-to 4x read speed, up-tp 2x write (x for a single drive) and you could loose one or maybe even two drives and not loose the data

If you want to maximize the space (3 hd for data and 1 hd for parity) - Raid 5 is your answer - you could loose one drive and still have data intact. The negative it's the slowest option, especially on writes - about 1/2 write speed compared to a single drive

Raid 0 would be the fastest option, but one drive fails and you loose whole array

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't want to bore you with too much details, but probably Raid 10 would you best call - two disk mirrored and striped to other pair. This should give you up-to 4x read speed, up-tp 2x write (x for a single drive) and you could loose one or maybe even two drives and not loose the data

If you want to maximize the space (3 hd for data and 1 hd for parity) - Raid 5 is your answer - you could loose one drive and still have data intact. The negative it's the slowest option, especially on writes - about 1/2 write speed compared to a single drive

Raid 0 would be the fastest option, but one drive fails and you loose whole array
The Pegasus software wizard is recommending RAID 10 as well. Since you two are in agreement I'll go with that. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Whoa Fuzz did you get an advance check lol. Congrats on the new Mac and stuff. Wish I could afford one. Maybe in my next life...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Whoa Fuzz did you get an advance check lol. Congrats on the new Mac and stuff. Wish I could afford one. Maybe in my next life...
Ha, I wish. Nope, perhaps you read since you commented in that other thread, but the comp died and took everything that was attached to it with it. Still waiting on replacing a few things which is super not fun. Even as much as I like this computer with it's lighter weight, smaller form factor, and general snazziness I wish my other was still functioning, which would've kept a few extra bucks in my wallet.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Being broke is tough. The bills ... they're synchronized like commercials or something.

Now to prove that you really are one of us ... buy an amp! :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Being broke is tough. The bills ... they're synchronized like commercials or something.

Now to prove that you really are one of us ... buy an amp! :)
I'm going on vacation tomorrow for a week, but you better believe there will be a pile of boxes waiting for me when I get back :D One of which I think you'll appreciate, although I'll throw in a spoiler and say it's not an amp.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis