Once again: what are you listening to now?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Dam The Torpedos' on vinyl

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills "Super Session' on vinyl. A very quiet very well recorded album.

Led Zeppelin "Led Zeppelin" on vinyl

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
This may be the best James Brown cover I ever heard … sorry to interrupt … I figured this would make the day a little more fun.

Fuego

Fuego

Enthusiast
Michael Brecker, Time is of the essence.

Michael Brecker introduced a couple of new wrinkles to his sound on his sixth album, in the form of two new sidemen. Larry Goldings' organ makes for an unusual quartet -- also including Brecker on tenor sax, frequent guest Pat Metheny on guitar, and one of three different drummers -- in that there is no bass. As a result, Metheny often fills in that role when he isn' t soloing. Goldings' touch is light, in contrast to the more intense playing of Brecker and Metheny. But it is the second new sideman who makes a difference: Elvin Jones guests on drums on three tracks. Brecker had never shied away from announcing his influences, and with Jones behind the traps, especially on the opening track, "Arc of the Pendulum," and the closer, "Outrance" (both Brecker originals), he indulges his affection for John Coltrane, playing freely and aggressively across the rhythm. Jones, who gets a showcase solo in "Outrance," is unmistakable, and his support often makes Brecker sound like Coltrane. With Bill Stewart behind the drums, the group performs "Renaissance Man," a tribute to another major Brecker influence, Eddie Harris, and Brecker unabashedly recalls Harris there. The tunes, five by Brecker, two by Metheny, and one each by Goldings and producer George Whitty, are loosely structured and run from six to ten minutes each, so that the disc runs 70 minutes. Clearly, they could have gone longer: Several of them fade out, sometimes during a Brecker or Metheny solo, an oddity on a jazz album.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Dvorack Symphony No 8 on cd.

Myers Brothers Band "Drive" on cd

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Loudon Wainwright III - Carrickfergus

Roxy Music - All I Want Is You

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
Saw LWIII perform a solo gig in '85 or '86 (Columbus, Ohio). Really great show. Interesting guy. That was Loudon sitting next to Suzanne Vega sitting next to Richard Thompson on that "Vincent Black Lightning" video I posted a while back.

Dig Roxy, too.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Saw LWIII perform a solo gig in '85 or '86 (Columbus, Ohio). Really great show. Interesting guy. That was Loudon sitting next to Suzanne Vega sitting next to Richard Thompson on that "Vincent Black Lightning" video I posted a while back.

Dig Roxy, too.
the son is no slouch either. he's not everyone's cup of tea but he's got a set of pipes. genetics might have something to do with that. :)

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
the son is no slouch either. he's not everyone's cup of tea but he's got a set of pipes. genetics might have something to do with that. :)
Check out Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man, a film about the life and career of LC. It's based on a 2005 tribute concert performed at the Sydney Opera House. Performers include Rufus Wainright, Martha Wainright, Kate McGarrigle, Jarvis Cocker, Nick Cave, Beth Orton, Linda Thompson, Teddy Thompson, and more. There's enough family and talent to go around a bunch of lifetimes. I think Phil Manzanera even plays guitar in the band (don't quote me on that...).

DVD is less than $10 on Amazon.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Welcome to the weekend.

George Harrison - Wah-Wah

Dave Alvin - East Virginia Blues

Harry Nilsson - The Moonbeam Song
Gotta make sure I pack this for the island.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Check out Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man, a film about the life and career of LC. It's based on a 2005 tribute concert performed at the Sydney Opera House. Performers include Rufus Wainright, Martha Wainright, Kate McGarrigle, Jarvis Cocker, Nick Cave, Beth Orton, Linda Thompson, Teddy Thompson, and more. There's enough family and talent to go around a bunch of lifetimes. I think Phil Manzanera even plays guitar in the band (don't quote me on that...).

DVD is less than $10 on Amazon.
thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of this.

the Thompson boy is quite talented in his own right too.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What do you think TLS Guy?:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Von Bondies "Pawn Shop Heart" on CD. I never get tired of this album.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Jack White Lazaretto on CD

I like the album, but it is similar to the last one in that it contains some different style elements. It starts out heavy again, with more guitar than the last album and then transitions to more bluesy and mellower tracks. I'm still on the first few listens (It came in yesterday and I got the streamed copy late last night) so I still need some time to digest it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor on CD.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis