Sealed SI 18" Car Sub

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well, it's a box. However, I try to always add something I've never done before into every build I do so this build I'm trying two new things. The first is using a trim nailer instead of clamps and PL200 instead of wood glue.
What are your thoughts? I really like having the extra sealing ability of the PL Adhesive myself. Plus you can use to bond with metal.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What are your thoughts? I really like having the extra sealing ability of the PL Adhesive myself. Plus you can use to bond with metal.
So far I really like it. I find that it's easier to work with than wood glue and what I like about the PL 200 is that it's still water soluable. I don't think I'll be going back to wood glue after having used it. The only issue I ran into was that the nails my dad had laying around for the nail gun weren't as deep as I'd like them to be. I'll have to double check if his nail gun can do a little bit longer nails otherwise if I want to go this route in the future without clamps I'll have to pick up a different nail gun.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So far I really like it. I find that it's easier to work with than wood glue and what I like about the PL 200 is that it's still water soluable. I don't think I'll be going back to wood glue after having used it. The only issue I ran into was that the nails my dad had laying around for the nail gun weren't as deep as I'd like them to be. I'll have to double check if his nail gun can do a little bit longer nails otherwise if I want to go this route in the future without clamps I'll have to pick up a different nail gun.
The PL I use requires water spirits so you get high while you glue up. It really sucks to get it on your hands too. No matter how much I wash it still took a couple days for it to all finally come off.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The PL I use requires water spirits so you get high while you glue up. It really sucks to get it on your hands too. No matter how much I wash it still took a couple days for it to all finally come off.
That's probably the PL Premium right? I said the heck with mineral spirits when the 200 is water cleanup. It might not be as durable, but I figure for inside projects its probably fine.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That's probably the PL Premium right? I said the heck with mineral spirits when the 200 is water cleanup. It might not be as durable, but I figure for inside projects its probably fine.
I got a big box of it for cheap. It really isn't that bad to cleanup once you get a system down, but water based is way easier.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've got my 3M Optime 105 ear muffs on while I give this thing a proper torture test. Then I'll try and grab another measurement to see if anything is different with a warmed up driver.

annunaki

annunaki

Have you tried the measurements in car? You will get a significant transfer function bump below 40hz which will greatly balance your response. I am not surprised by the peak in response in free air as that is a small enclosure for an 18" driver.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Have you tried the measurements in car? You will get a significant transfer function bump below 40hz which will greatly balance your response. I am not surprised by the peak in response in free air as that is a small enclosure for an 18" driver.
The measurement pretty closely matched what I had modeled. I haven't been able to do anything in the car though since the kid said he needed the sub for the guy to wire up the amplifier and I haven't heard from him since so in car measurements may or may not be possible.

annunaki

annunaki

I would be interested to see what you get in the driver's seat should the opportunity present itself.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'll have to reach out to him to see if we can meet up.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I would be interested to see what you get in the driver's seat should the opportunity present itself.
Gonna try to grab a measurement today. The only hiccup might be that the inputs for his stereo are on the rear of the unit. If I can't get to those I'm going to have to figure some other way to get a frequency sweep to play and then I'll have the issue of timing it correctly with a REW capture.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It was far from an ideal sweep, since I had to use a CD and it lasted too long and I had to mess with REW to get it to capture for the length of the sweep I downloaded. However, here it is.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
What kinda power did he put in to this?

Sent from my iPhone 5

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What kinda power did he put in to this?

Sent from my iPhone 5
Not sure, something like 2-300 watts. With that, it gets uncomfortably loud inside even with the gain turned down.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Is it a little car? Etc doors seats trunk or a hatch back

Sent from my iPhone 5

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis