Banned
Afterlife clean your private messages out

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If you insist.

I have no fancy back lighting, just a soft lamp I turn on at night when watching tv shows. The screen is matte, so the lamp doesn't reflect. I don't think my wife would understand back lighting. How do you who have significant others who aren't audio/videophiles or have as deep an appreciation of gadgets gauge the WAF of back lighting? I always figured if I ever installed any lighting effects at all, it'd be dimmable runway lights along the baseboards. Not sure how to justify much else.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If you insist.

I have no fancy back lighting, just a soft lamp I turn on at night when watching tv shows. The screen is matte, so the lamp doesn't reflect. I don't think my wife would understand back lighting. How do you who have significant others who aren't audiophiles or have as deep an appreciation of gadgets gauge the waf of back lighting? I always figured if I ever installed any lighting effects at all, it'd be dimmable runway lights along the baseboards. Not sure how to justify much else.

From what I've read (not from personal experience, as I have never tried), the backlighting actually puts less strain on the eyes. So, that is a selling point.

Also, I've seen some pics that look really good too, kind of adds a touch of class to the experience. Try to push those 2 points.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have an old school flexible lamp (belonged to her grandfather, it is older than both of us), that I use when I need more than just a little backlight. I've got one soft, low wattage bulb in one and a bright LED in the other and it switches between one the other or both. I don't have my under cabinet light setup right now since moving.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I'm about to get some new led lighting for my panel :)

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I was thinking of getting rope lights, something like these, and stick them to the back of my television. If any of you follows my lead, I've read that it's a good idea to turn the lights on and let them warm up some before adhering them so they're less likely to bunch up with temperature changes and come unstuck.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking of getting rope lights, something like these, and stick them to the back of my television. If any of you follows my lead, I've read that it's a good idea to turn the lights on and let them warm up some before adhering them so they're less likely to bunch up with temperature changes and come unstuck.
That's pretty much the same thing I have except the LEDs that come in the pack I got are enclosed in a soft rubber strip.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The funny thing is I went to the dollar store and got Green, Red, Blue and Yellow bulbs and use a small Ikea lamp behind the TV. Works for me. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's what I used to use and I still have it, a little clamp on flexible desk lamp with a low watt soft white bulb. Even at like 15w, it was too bright though.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That's what I used to use and I still have it, a little clamp on flexible desk lamp with a low watt soft white bulb. Even at like 15w, it was too bright though.
Mine has a full cover, so it's even lighting wise. Paid 5 bucks at Ikea(Mine is grey): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20055421/ (Needs an adapter for regular size bulbs. found one on ebay for 4 bucks and :eek:now Candelabra Screw (E12) to Medium Screw (E26) Enlarger Light Bulb Socket Adapter - - Amazon.com )

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey, look what I got today!

This string of lights was $20 very well spent! It spanned all the way around my 67" TV and then some. I actually had to trim a few feet off. The remote is a pathetic plastic POS, but its IR codes are already in the Logitech Harmony database (see post 3 of this thread). All I had to do was add it as Home Automation --> Light Controllers --> APA 1616, then add the new device to each of my activities. I went ahead and spent 15 minutes or so adding each of the 16 colors + dim + bright to the additional buttons on two of my activities for ease of access. Bonus: adding the device to my Harmony setup makes the lights auto power on / off with the TV.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks! And thanks for showing me the way of ht visual Zen.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Grate stuff I'm going to be re doing my lighting soon again I've missed haveing it

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis