Time to buy a gun ... again

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
The cases are aluminum AFAIK, and they did extract in my M&P, just not reliably. We've also tried them in the .38SPL revolver without issue, though now I have the ammo and no revolver :( I'm considering picking up a new S&W Model 66. I didn't want to shoot that stuff in my 1911.
The cases are metallic, but the blue shot cup is plastic. Suggest you read the CCI box carefully. My little box of 45acp clearly says DO NOT shoot in a revolver. Seems odd. If they make the same thing in .38, what do they expect people to shoot them in? Maybe there's something I'm not thinking of with the .45acp. I chose them because they had more pellets than the others. Just be careful, eye protection and nobody standing beside you... just in case. They don't cycle at all in my Kimber 1911. Like you, I wasn't anxious to try them in any others, so just sort of designated the Kimber. Knew it would take very careful cleaning, but hoped it was tough enough to avoid any damage.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The cases are metallic, but the blue shot cup is plastic. Suggest you read the CCI box carefully. My little box of 45acp clearly says DO NOT shoot in a revolver. Seems odd. If they make the same thing in .38, what do they expect people to shoot them in? Maybe there's something I'm not thinking of with the .45acp. I chose them because they had more pellets than the others. Just be careful, eye protection and nobody standing beside you... just in case. They don't cycle at all in my Kimber 1911. Like you, I wasn't anxious to try them in any others, so just sort of designated the Kimber. Knew it would take very careful cleaning, but hoped it was tough enough to avoid any damage.
Yes, the caps are plastic I believe also. I don't have a box of the .38SPL here; they're at the other house, but chances are slim those would be used in anything other than a revolver which is what I was getting at before. Just read the 9MM box and it says for use in all revolvers and pistols but says it may not work properly with all firearms.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, the caps are plastic I believe also. I don't have a box of the .38SPL here; they're at the other house, but chances are slim those would be used in anything other than a revolver which is what I was getting at before. Just read the 9MM box and it says for use in all revolvers and pistols but says it may not work properly with all firearms.
What are y'all using those things for?

Just looks kind of questionable practice all the way around to me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Snake shot; that's what they're for. I asked the shop I bought it from if there was any risk to the barrel and they said no. I was still hesitant and only fired a few of them through my 9 to see how they cycled. Have fired many hundreds of rounds since then and have not had any issues. We actually got that .38SPL used specifically for using for snake shot, but I loved it so much I didn't want to shoot that stuff in it either :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Consider the physics. A 2.5 inch .410 usually has 1/2 ounce of shot. (A 3" is 11/16s ounce.)
So 1/2 ounce at 1200fps.
There are 437.5 grains in an ounce... so that's ~219 grains.

219 grains at 1200fps. That's a pretty stout handgun load. :)
1200fps, wow, so we can assume that every single one of those grains will be doing a lot of penetration!

-0-

what's a snake gun? to shoot snakes? serious? i have a hard time shooting a bond paper sized target and you guys shoot snakes? i'll need a minigun for snakes.

edit: oh, did you mean shotgun type shells?

-0-

since we're discussing rhe different rounds in revolvers, here's some other questions:

the 38spl is shorter than the 357magnum ... so it sits a bit back in the chamber.
it has to travel a short distance without the barrel to guide it, it seems to me a great big risk of blowing your gun apart if it doesn't completely shoot in the barrel?

so the revolving chamber if not perfectly aligned when the bullet is fired would also have the above risk? how are accidents not happening left and right?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
1200fps, wow, so we can assume that every single one of those grains will be doing a lot of penetration!

-0-

what's a snake gun? to shoot snakes? serious? i have a hard time shooting a bond paper sized target and you guys shoot snakes? i'll need a minigun for snakes.

edit: oh, did you mean shotgun type shells?

-0-

since we're discussing rhe different rounds in revolvers, here's some other questions:

the 38spl is shorter than the 357magnum ... so it sits a bit back in the chamber.
it has to travel a short distance without the barrel to guide it, it seems to me a great big risk of blowing your gun apart if it doesn't completely shoot in the barrel?

so the revolving chamber if not perfectly aligned when the bullet is fired would also have the above risk? how are accidents not happening left and right?
The difference is 1mm, which seems like a lot, but the bullets aren't straight; they're tapered or rounded, so I doubt it is an issue. They've been building these for a LONG time, so I don't think cylinder to barrel alignment is an issue either.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
it has to travel a short distance without the barrel to guide it
Like j_garcia said, it's not an issue with a solid projectile, but it is exactly the concern I have heard about the pistol shotshells. One of the TV shows, maybe American Rifleman, did a segment on it. Fire will escape the gap in a revolver between cylinder and barrel. If you've ever carelessly placed your support hand, you can confirm. The concern w/ shotshells like the CCI is that hard blue plastic shards may also fly out of this gap, or jam in the gap preventing the cylinder from indexing.

The thing I don't understand is why a 45acp revolver is not recommended, but a 38/357 is OK. Seems odd.

And yes, hitting a slithering snake w/ anything but a shotgun is nigh impossible for me too. So the snake needs to be still. And you need to be within about 6 feet of it for one of these CCI shotshells to work. They contain relatively few pellets, and spinning due to a rifled barrel will quickly expand the pattern to a useless degree. So the scope of these things is pretty limited, thus the attraction of a .410 handgun. BUT, since they also have rifled barrels for double duty w/ a 45 metallic cartridge, their range is also much less than a smoothbore shotgun.

So I guess if the snake is close enough to bite you, you can shoot it w/ a CCI shotshell. A 410 Judge will give you a lot more shot and a few steps greater range. But if you want to maintain enough distance so if the snake comes toward you, you can throw the gun, turn, and run screaming like a girl, I guess you need to stick w/ a regular shotgun. ;)

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry, I haven't taken the time to learn how to post pictures, but on the back of my little box of CCI 45 auto shotshells it says:
"The cartridges are designed to function in semi-automatic pistols. DO NOT USE IN REVOLVERS - cylinder lock-up may occur."
Then a little farther down:
"NOT INTENDED FOR REVOLVERS."

I don't have a box of 38s or 357s. I wonder if they say the same thing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, I haven't taken the time to learn how to post pictures, but on the back of my little box of CCI 45 auto shotshells it says:
"The cartridges are designed to function in semi-automatic pistols. DO NOT USE IN REVOLVERS - cylinder lock-up may occur."
Then a little farther down:
"NOT INTENDED FOR REVOLVERS."

I don't have a box of 38s or 357s. I wonder if they say the same thing.
That's pretty odd; now I'm curious why?

Like j_garcia said, it's not an issue with a solid projectile, but it is exactly the concern I have heard about the pistol shotshells. One of the TV shows, maybe American Rifleman, did a segment on it. Fire will escape the gap in a revolver between cylinder and barrel. If you've ever carelessly placed your support hand, you can confirm. The concern w/ shotshells like the CCI is that hard blue plastic shards may also fly out of this gap, or jam in the gap preventing the cylinder from indexing.

The thing I don't understand is why a 45acp revolver is not recommended, but a 38/357 is OK. Seems odd.

And yes, hitting a slithering snake w/ anything but a shotgun is nigh impossible for me too. So the snake needs to be still. And you need to be within about 6 feet of it for one of these CCI shotshells to work. They contain relatively few pellets, and spinning due to a rifled barrel will quickly expand the pattern to a useless degree. So the scope of these things is pretty limited, thus the attraction of a .410 handgun. BUT, since they also have rifled barrels for double duty w/ a 45 metallic cartridge, their range is also much less than a smoothbore shotgun.

So I guess if the snake is close enough to bite you, you can shoot it w/ a CCI shotshell. A 410 Judge will give you a lot more shot and a few steps greater range. But if you want to maintain enough distance so if the snake comes toward you, you can throw the gun, turn, and run screaming like a girl, I guess you need to stick w/ a regular shotgun.
Ideally, I'd rather have a shotgun, but I don't want to carry a long gun around for snakes. We have already had rattlers under the house though and in the yard, so better to be prepared. Presumably you aren't going to notice a snake until it is within the lethal range of the CCI shot shells. The last rattler we had last year was immediately identified and brought to our attention by a bunch of blue jays. They were crowded around it calling really loudly - apparently they like the taste of snake too because I accidentally killed a gopher snake with the weed whacker and saw a jay eating it shortly after.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The Judge is the perfect option for a snake gun.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
it's time to get a 22lr :D i want to plink!

was initially looking at the GSG-5 or "Colt" M4 Ops from walther. but a short search on these this morning led me to the Sig522.

long story short, am now in the process of ordering one :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
it's time to get a 22lr :D i want to plink!

was initially looking at the GSG-5 or "Colt" M4 Ops from walther. but a short search on these this morning led me to the Sig522.

long story short, am now in the process of ordering one :D
I haven't seen the Sig522, but that certainly looks like fun!

For my plinker .22, I use an Heritage revolver. It's fun, and it conserves ammo as it only has 6 shots. Obviously, this is completely different than the 522, but just wanted to throw it out there. I have one, my dad has one, and a couple friends have one. They are cheap too!

Mine is pretty similar to this one, except I have 2 cylinders for mine: .22 LR and .22 Magnum.
Small Bore Revolver 6.5 Blue 22 Long Rifle Only - Heritage Manufacturing

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Get the Walther IMO. The GSGs are pretty cheaply made IMO. I've read reviews that say they are OK, but after looking at one of their 1911 .22s, the build quality was less than impressive. The problem with .22LR is that it is practically impossible to get right now, so "plinker" is sort of non existent these days. I almost never shoot my .22s now because ammo that you can get is either garbage or the good stuff is super expensive or can't be found. My plinker is the M&P 15-22 :D

I like that Walther MP5, but I think as a pinker I'm more interested in the Uzi rifle and pistol replicas. They got the rights to produce nearly identical replicas from the original manufacturers:

And then there's the HK 416 pistol :cool:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i guess i'll be seeing if the local ammo manufacturer makes rimfire as good as centerfire rounds. cheap too!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i realized that the local ammo manufacturer i was talking about is also available there ...

you guys have issues with armscor sub sonic or high velocity? i'd like the sub sonic (less noise for plinking) but i read that sub sonic = bigger chance of not cycling properly?

and i heard that a suppressor also compounds the cycling issue further?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, Rock Island available here. Says available online. As mentioned, in store, pretty much nothing exists. The stuff I most recently picked up is unjacketed from a new manufacturer and I haven't fired it yet. Can't have suppressor here, but yes it will affect velocity AFAIK. Subsonic or not, the cheap stuff tends not to cycle as well IMO, but that will also vary with the firearm and the exact ammo. I usually shoot CCI MiniMag.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
In Tx, you pretty much gotta get to the store the minute the truck arrives to get .22 or 9mm. But, every truck has it, it just never even makes it onto the shelf.

I tend to buy most of my stuff at gun shows anyway, and it is always available there. I'm guessing CA has stricter laws on gun shows too? Probably not as many in CA as TX. Of course TX is a large state, but any given weekend there are at least 3-4 shows across the state.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Shops are still doing 1 box limit here on .22LR, so even if you can find it, you can't buy it in quantity. Have to take 2 or 3 people with you to get a decent amount, and then it is still expensive. At shows there are lines 20 deep to buy ammo and it runs out quick because we do have fewer shows. People are pretty much there to buy ammo first and line up for the show hours before it opens too, to get first crack. We can head out to Nevada too, but the story is similar. My buddy in Arizona said they're in the same boat.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis