Standmount speakers: $2K, 4K or $6K?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Go check out the Joseph Audio Pulsar's at a local shop, if possible. I ended up buying a pair of KEF LS50's but if I had my druthers and the spare cash I would have purchased the Pulsars in a heartbeat. They were that impressive, especially for a bookshelf.
I've also heard them and agree they are excellent. Because the 3 other Joseph Audio models I've heard (Pearl, Prospective, and RM25XL) were also excellent, I'd guess the whole line is excellent. The only problem I have with them is their extremely high prices.

Make an effort to listen to Salk speakers. In my opinion, they're very close in both sound and build quality. Salk is an internet direct company and Joseph Audio is sold through high end dealers. The markup from the dealers and distribution network may entirely explain the large differences in prices. For example, the Joseph Pulsar can be directly compared to the Salk HT1 which sells for much less than half the Pulsar retail price. Similarly, the Joseph Perspective can be directly compared to the Salk Veracity ST or the HT2TL. Again, they sell for much less than half the Prospective price.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I checked these Gamut speakers out at my local dealer and they where impressive. Price I don't remember, but they are up there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing. I'm serious about this. NOTHING under $5000 comes even close to B&W CM5 monitors. I couldn't care less about name brand, or price. Speaking purely of sonics, the CM5s are an absolute gem. If you want something equal, or maybe slightly better, but for a lot more money, check out these:

Focal Electra 1008 Be
B&W 805 Diamond
Dynaudio C1 Signature
Sonus Faber Olympica I
Apparently this troll is also on AVS spewing the same crap under the screen name of NagysAudio. :D

B&W Owner's Thread - Page 521

Decided to add a pair of inexpensive monitors recently to my studio and went on a listening spree for about a year and a half. So what did I end up with? B&W CM5s. I've must have listened to close to a thousand different speakers. Everything from the recent Dynaudio X14s, to Focal Aria 906, to MBL 121 and Wilson Duettes. Yes, the CM5s sounded better than dozens of monitors priced at $50,000 and above. Take that you fraud artists. This was purely a sonic journey and my ears were the only test instruments. No joke, I must have heard 90% of all current manufactured monitor loudspeakers on Earth. Here are my favorites:

Dynaudio C1 Signature
B&W 805 Diamond
B&W CM5
Sonus Faber Olympica I
Focal Electra 1008 Be

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dude, it's his/her opinion. Everyone has favorites.

For example - my favorite speakers? The ones that I own. Why? Because they're in my house already. Yep, it's that "my favorite beer is an open one" mentality. :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard the cm5's and I was not impressed, IMO the ascend sierra 1's with the factory tweets sound better for less money... The fact of the matter is when people say "these $500 speakers sound better than speakers that cost $1500" they are talking about stuff like the cm5's. The cm5 had nice lows but a mediocre midrange and the highs felt like they tried too hard, I prefer soft tweeters and there are a few metals I like but the b&w are not one of them... I have a feeeling thestalker is one of those guys that spent $1500 on a pair of books {probably used a best buy card with 0% for 24 months} and is trying to make himself feel better about that $62.50 a month he has to pay for the next 2 years... There is nothing wrong with that, but there is a rite way to do it, make your suggestion, tell the op where to demo them and what you think about them, how they compare to others, ect. But don't talk down to people for disagreeing, its not polite... I honestly would compare the cm5's to ascend acoustics 170's finish set aside the 170s sound better... {to me of course}

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Apparently this troll is also on AVS spewing the same crap under the screen name of NagysAudio. :D

B&W Owner's Thread - Page 521

Decided to add a pair of inexpensive monitors recently to my studio and went on a listening spree for about a year and a half. So what did I end up with? B&W CM5s. I've must have listened to close to a thousand different speakers. Everything from the recent Dynaudio X14s, to Focal Aria 906, to MBL 121 and Wilson Duettes. Yes, the CM5s sounded better than dozens of monitors priced at $50,000 and above. Take that you fraud artists. This was purely a sonic journey and my ears were the only test instruments. No joke, I must have heard 90% of all current manufactured monitor loudspeakers on Earth. Here are my favorites:

Dynaudio C1 Signature
B&W 805 Diamond
B&W CM5
Sonus Faber Olympica I
Focal Electra 1008 Be
GOOD! He seems better suited to the AVS forum than the AH forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I've also heard them and agree they are excellent. Because the 3 other Joseph Audio models I've heard (Pearl, Prospective, and RM25XL) were also excellent, I'd guess the whole line is excellent. The only problem I have with them is their extremely high prices.

Make an effort to listen to Salk speakers. In my opinion, they're very close in both sound and build quality. Salk is an internet direct company and Joseph Audio is sold through high end dealers. The markup from the dealers and distribution network may entirely explain the large differences in prices. For example, the Joseph Pulsar can be directly compared to the Salk HT1 which sells for much less than half the Pulsar retail price. Similarly, the Joseph Perspective can be directly compared to the Salk Veracity ST or the HT2TL. Again, they sell for much less than half the Prospective price.
Now you tell me?!?!! :D As usual, a day late and a dollar short.

The HT1 looks sharp. I'll add it to my "need list". I know I don't need it; more like a want. :)

T

TheStalker

Banned
I have heard the cm5's and I was not impressed, IMO the ascend sierra 1's with the factory tweets sound better for less money... The fact of the matter is when people say "these $500 speakers sound better than speakers that cost $1500" they are talking about stuff like the cm5's. The cm5 had nice lows but a mediocre midrange and the highs felt like they tried too hard, I prefer soft tweeters and there are a few metals I like but the b&w are not one of them... I have a feeeling thestalker is one of those guys that spent $1500 on a pair of books {probably used a best buy card with 0% for 24 months} and is trying to make himself feel better about that $62.50 a month he has to pay for the next 2 years... There is nothing wrong with that, but there is a rite way to do it, make your suggestion, tell the op where to demo them and what you think about them, how they compare to others, ect. But don't talk down to people for disagreeing, its not polite... I honestly would compare the cm5's to ascend acoustics 170's finish set aside the 170s sound better... {to me of course}
LOL, no. The Sierra-1's midwoofer sounds bad. It's slow, boomy, lacks detail, etc. The B&W Kevlar cone is extremely agile, fast, dynamic, and has a bloomy romantic midrange. My twin over at AVS is right on the money.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Thanks for one of the several more useful posts on this thread. I'll see where I can get a chance to listen to the Pulsars. They look promising on-line, but can't tell a book...

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Those Audio Grand Tetons look initeresting, but 5.25" may just not be enough to do it. Although, based on Swerd's recommendation, I did find an in-home dealer who demo'd the Joseph Audio Pulsars for me, which have 5.25" woofers also. Very impressive, but price is now up to $7700/pr new, making the used ones on Audio Mart at $4800 a great deal.

So, I've added the Audio Pulsars to my "short" list, which is now up to five, since I feel I have to audition the Dynaudio Confidence 1 Signatures. So, this weekend I'm going to do a blitz/dealer fly by on:
Revel M-106 ($2500 w/ stands)
McIntosh XR50 ($4000)
Totem Element Fire ($6000)
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature ($9000 w/ stands),

I hope to narrow it down to one or two for home audition.

I'll have updates afterward.

Thanks all, and would continue to appreciate input, especially on the speakers I'm targeting.

BTW, the dealer, who demo'd the Pulsars - Jeff Whitlock (AV Solutionsca.com), is a really good guy and carries absoute quality stuff. So if you're anywhere in the SF/East Bay area tell him that Jeff (me-the Pulsar prospect) sent ya'.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Those Audio Grand Tetons look initeresting, but 5.25" may just not be enough to do it. Although, based on Swerd's recommendation, I did find an in-home dealer who demo'd the Joseph Audio Pulsars for me, which have 5.25" woofers also. Very impressive, but price is now up to $7700/pr new, making the used ones on Audio Mart at $4800 a great deal.

So, I've added the Audio Pulsars to my "short" list, which is now up to five, since I feel I have to audition the Dynaudio Confidence 1 Signatures. So, this weekend I'm going to do a blitz/dealer fly by on:
McIntosh XR50 ($4000)

Thanks all, and would continue to appreciate input, especially on the speakers I'm targeting.

BTW, the dealer, who demo'd the Pulsars - Jeff Whitlock (AV Solutionsca.com), is a really good guy and carries absoute quality stuff. So if you're anywhere in the SF/East Bay area tell him that Jeff (me-the Pulsar prospect) sent ya'.
Did you cross out the KEF R300?

T

TheStalker

Banned

McIntosh XR50 ($4000)

Dynaudio C1s are my favorite monitors in the world and of all time at any price.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai

McIntosh XR50 ($4000)

Good list. Personally I think the Totem Element Fire are overpriced but that's just me and the impression I got when I did the old B&M crawl. You can get the same quality of sound for half the price from other companies but your ears will tell you. Enjoy.

T

TheStalker

Banned
I'm still sticking to my recommendations. Here's my list in order of preference:

Dynaudio C1 Signature $8500
Dynaudio C1 II $7700
Focal Diablo Utopia $12,500
B&W 805 Diamond $5000
B&W CM5 $1500
Sonus Faber Olympica I $6500
Focal Electra 1008 Be $5500

I'm running out of monitors to audition, but if I could, I would be curious about these as well:

Klangbau Monitor (Hiquphon and Audio Technology drivers!)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm still sticking to my recommendations. Here's my list in order of preference:

Dynaudio C1 Signature $8500
Dynaudio C1 II $7700
Focal Diablo Utopia $12,500
B&W 805 Diamond $5000
B&W CM5 $1500
Sonus Faber Olympica I $6500
Focal Electra 1008 Be $5500

I'm running out of monitors to audition, but if I could, I would be curious about these as well:

Klangbau Monitor (Hiquphon and Audio Technology drivers!)
Yeah, I have listened to most of those, they are alright but not great. The RtR 1530 blows them away pretty easy. OP, if you are serious about getting good sound, you will get the RtR 1530, they may very well be the pinnacle of audio science:

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Your rite Shady, even the fit and finish look incredible, I know its just a picture but I can hardly see where the wood grain sticker starts and stops.... and them ports must be nice I seen a box inside the kid that works at home depots trunk that had the same ones... {I wasn't buying drills at half price from a home depots employees trunk either, if that's what you were thinking...}

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis