Standmount speakers: $2K, 4K or $6K?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You give very bad advice and obviously have no idea how power amplifiers are engineered. A power amp can absolutely be designed to have more treble output, or bass output, or whatever else built in EQ which was implemented by the designer. Not all amps sound the same. So stop the nonsense.
You give utterly preposterous and erroneous advice and are labeled by Audioholics as "a forum troll idiot that just begs for attention".

So stop trying to pollute our good community with your egregious repugnant remarks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, you're clueless. Have you ever designed a power amp? Why are you giving advice and stating it as facts on something you haven't got the slightest clue on how it works?
Did you ask your mommy and daddy permission to use the internet?

Do your homework and stay out of trouble like a good little boy.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Can anyone say "derailed?" :eek: :D Plus, insulting someone back doesn't help bring this thread back above the belt. ;) :)

Not all ID speakers are great or junk, just like not all brick-and-mortar speakers are one or the other. Some ID companies, like Aperion and SVS, offer a no risk audition policy - if you don't like the speakers, you return them for free...no shipping, no restocking, no nothing. What's to lose, except for your time if you don't like them? To me, it's a great opportunity to decide for yourself if you like a particular brand and/or model. The best advice on here has been to audition for yourself in your own home - that way, you aren't relying on the opinion of others or the acoustics of some special listening room.

I wish the OP good luck in finding something nice! I bet that you do, given your budget.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Wow..lot of pink when scrolling through this thread:rolleyes:
And I didn't miss any pertinent posts!

To the OP, the Performas are an excellent value IMO .
Another one I like a lot is the Monitor audio PL-100.. I've heard both and like the MA's better- but they cost 1500.00 more.
Cheers, Mac

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Can anyone say "derailed?" :eek: :D Plus, insulting someone back doesn't help bring this thread back above the belt. ;) :)
Swerd has the best line for this type of situation, " Never wrestle with a turd. Win or lose, you still end up with sh!t all over you".

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
In your price range, I like...

good value with these FOCAL ELECTRA 1007 S BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (Pr) at Music Direct I heard these a few times, love'em the 1008's are much money and still in your budget and NICE...
EPOS ELAN 15 SPEAKERS (CHERRY) **DEMO** at Music Direct own these, AWESOME speaker...
FOCAL PROFILE 908 SPEAKERS & STANDS BUNDLE at Music Direct never heard these but that a nice looking price...

others I heard that I like are...

PSB Synchrony B ones are nice for their price PSB Synchrony One B
and anything from their imagine line...

Are you pairing these with a subwoofer? For my musical taste bookshelfs with 100w of power normally wont satisfy me, now if your cross out the lows and add a capable accurate subwoofer or 3 you will be into something... With bookshelfs, you give up some low end and efficiency, so you want a little more power {in most cases} and something on the bottom taking care of the lows...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
In your price range, I like...

good value with these FOCAL ELECTRA 1007 S BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (Pr) at Music Direct I heard these a few times, love'em the 1008's are much money and still in your budget and NICE...
EPOS ELAN 15 SPEAKERS (CHERRY) **DEMO** at Music Direct own these, AWESOME speaker...
FOCAL PROFILE 908 SPEAKERS & STANDS BUNDLE at Music Direct never heard these but that a nice looking price...

others I heard that I like are...

PSB Synchrony B ones are nice for their price PSB Synchrony One B
and anything from their imagine line...

Are you pairing these with a subwoofer? For my musical taste bookshelfs with 100w of power normally wont satisfy me, now if your cross out the lows and add a capable accurate subwoofer or 3 you will be into something... With bookshelfs, you give up some low end and efficiency, so you want a little more power {in most cases} and something on the bottom taking care of the lows...

You can get a lot for your money if you don't get caught up in the name game...

$800 The Emotiva XSP-1 Differential Reference Preamp | Emotiva Audio | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifi
$2000 for 2 of these XPA-1 | 600W Mono | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifie
$2300 for this dd ULS-15 DualDrive Packages
and pick any pair of bookshelfs you like the highs and mids from... I personally would go with the PSB ones today, they are on my mind, another $150 on xlr cabes for the mono blocks and the subs and you would only spend around $7000 complete... You put that next to any system powered by that mc with no subs and you will see the difference, the xsp1 allows you to connect all the subs and amps with xlrs and dial in your cross over points for both, FUN..... I love my 2.2 systems and own A LOT of bookshelf speakers, even for music that isnt "bass heavy" the subs make the sound much smoother when done correctly..

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Thanks Stalker, for the confirmation. I know for sure I heard the difference when electronics were changed, using same speakers and same recording.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Thanks Mac. I'll look into the MA PL-100's. But I see them listed at $5K/pr, $3K more than the Performa3 M-106 at $2K/pr.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Thx ImcLoud. Several folks on this thread have suggested Focals.
I've also been eyeing the EPOS ELAN 15, so I may be hearing them soon.
I'm trying not to go with a sub. I've just never found a sub that I feel truly integrates with the overall sound of a good pair of mains, but it may just be psychological more than anything else.
I know I'm giving up a lot with just standmounts, but I have a second system that has extensive bass, so in the standmounts I'm looking for accuracy above all.
Thanks again for the time.

Last edited:
macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Thanks Mac. I'll look into the MA PL-100's. But I see them listed at $5K/pr, $3K more than the Performa3 M-106 at $2K/pr.
My bad! I was going off of a demo pair I was offered a while back... So easy to spend other people's $$ :0
Fabulous stand mounts all the same.
The Gold line GX 100's are nearly as nice for 2200.00
Cheers, Mac

T

TheStalker

Banned
I've never heard pro monitors which sounded good and that includes the TAD. Serious studios, like Skywalker Sound (800 Diamond), use Hi-Fi speakers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I've never heard pro monitors which sounded good and that includes the TAD. Serious studios, like Skywalker Sound (800 Diamond), use Hi-Fi speakers.
I have to disagree, I own the tad's they sound good- phenomenal detail throughout the range {music direct demo sale, couldn't pass them up}... and the much less expensive behringer truth monitors also sound very good {I also have the 3031a's}...

I can see it is in your personality to disagree Stalker, but maybe it would be a little more polite and considerate to not "dump" on others suggestions. Its fine to disagree but maybe due it without showing too much about yourself, because from what i can see it is not flattering to you...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thx ImcLoud. Several folks on this thread have suggested Focals.
I've also been eyeing the EPOS ELAN 15, so I may be hearing them soon.
I'm trying not to go with a sub. I've just never found a sub that I feel truly integrates with the overall sound of a good pair of mains, but it may just be psychological more than anything else.
I know I'm giving up a lot with just standmounts, but I have a second system that has extensive bass, so in the standmounts I'm looking for accuracy above all.
Thanks again for the time.

Then if I were you I would get the electronics at the house and all set up, then let the demoing start, I'm not sure where you are located but most shoppes with bring you buy a few pairs of speakers and let you listen away, I have done it and know others too, just get the electronics and your chair ready, grab some danish and put the coffee on, any good shop will load up and bring you some gear to demo... I am not really sold on the speakers over $4000 range yet, I have heard some I have liked but not twice as much as others, like the epos encore 50s for example, I heard them and they are nice, but not $8000 nicer than some ascent sierra towers. I also like the elans, they are a nice speaker, epos makes good stuff, I love my epics...

T

TheStalker

Banned
I have to disagree, I own the tad's they sound good- phenomenal detail throughout the range {music direct demo sale, couldn't pass them up}... and the much less expensive behringer truth monitors also sound very good {I also have the 3031a's}...

I can see it is in your personality to disagree Stalker, but maybe it would be a little more polite and considerate to not "dump" on others suggestions. Its fine to disagree but maybe due it without showing too much about yourself, because from what i can see it is not flattering to you...
Yes, phenomenal detail, lean, bright, steely, grating, and unnatural. But can you say that they actually sound phenomenal? I used to be all about the measurements, but now I just let my ear speak. I've become very strict. I don't care about mid-fi, or something sounding good. There are way too many choices out there. It better sound incredible to me, or I don't give it the slightest care. The speakers have to wow me with something incredibly unique. Three dimensional sound stage, airy tweeters, binaural effect, etc. I'm getting away from all of this amateur 1.5dB flat SPL, uniform off-axis, power response, distortion, garbage. Psychoacoustics is where it's at. I want to listen to the DTS-MA soundtrack of Minority Report and feel like the factory robots are welding 2cm away from my ear and all created with just two speakers. There's a whole another world out there.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Not a huge fan of that B&W sound myself, although I realize plenty of people are. I do think the Dynaudio Confidence or Consequence series are absolutely amazing speakers. I'm a big fan of Totems, although I think the Elements are overpriced.
You willing to buy used? Dynaudio C1 MK1s go for about $3800 on audiogon, and the C1 MK2s go for about $1000 more. Certainly below your $6k budget.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Go check out the Joseph Audio Pulsar's at a local shop, if possible. I ended up buying a pair of KEF LS50's but if I had my druthers and the spare cash I would have purchased the Pulsars in a heartbeat. They were that impressive, especially for a bookshelf. To me bookshelf is a relative term when it comes to the Pulsar's but nonetheless. Focal makes outstanding speakers ... hell I own a pair of 1027Be's and the series center channel & surrounds ... but they are slightly overpriced in my view.

Here is a pair on sale for $4,800.
Joseph Audio Pulsar - US Audio Mart

And a review that I heartily agree with.
Joseph Audio Pulsar Loudspeakers [updated] | Confessions of a Part-Time Audiophile

Good luck with your choice but with your budget I don't think you'll be needing it. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Trolls will be trolls.

His theory is that speakers that measure great sound like crap and speakers that measure like crap sound great. :D

Chances are, he's never heard the TAD 2201 and most of the speakers he claims. It's the not first time we've seen trolls like this. It won't be the last.

Like someone says, the only speakers this troll has heard are at Best Buy. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Trolls will be trolls.

His theory is that speakers that measure great sound like crap and speakers that measure like crap sound great. :D

Chances are, he's never heard the TAD 2201 and most of the speakers he claims. It's the not first time we've seen trolls like this. It won't be the last.

Like someone says, the only speakers this troll has heard are at Best Buy. :D
There is always a saying, don't feed the trolls, it's called ignore. His forum name speaks to his objectives. Just ignore and move on...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis