Standmount speakers: $2K, 4K or $6K?

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
I am building a new system mostly from scratch and I'm auditioning standmount speakers. I've narrowed the field to three options, and I'm interested to hear folks' opinions of them.

I'm looking at the Revel Performa3 M-106 ($2K), the Mcintosh XR50 ($4K), and the Totem Element Fire ($6K). I will be using a McIntosh MA5200 integrated for amplificagtion (100 wpc), but haven't decided on the sources. For now I'll be using an older Sony CD going through its optical out into the McIntosh. The room is on the small side, 13' x 15', carpeted and with 9' ceilings.

I mostly listen to Maroon 5 and David Guetta type fair, but will also venture into classical, light jazz and Broadway, as well as an occasional Sinatra or Norah Jones.

I realize it's a wide price range and I'm not comparing apples to apples in that sense. I'm not saying price is no object but I'm willing to go to $6K for the Totems if there is enough appeal and value there.

Although I've listened to all three it was at three different dealers spread over a couple of weeks and my acoustic memory insn't good enough for me to definitively say I like one more than another. So, I'm "all ears" on opinions out there in the forum community.

Thanks for the thought.

T

TheStalker

Banned
Nothing. I'm serious about this. NOTHING under $5000 comes even close to B&W CM5 monitors. I couldn't care less about name brand, or price. Speaking purely of sonics, the CM5s are an absolute gem. If you want something equal, or maybe slightly better, but for a lot more money, check out these:

Focal Electra 1008 Be
B&W 805 Diamond
Dynaudio C1 Signature
Sonus Faber Olympica I

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Thanks Stalker. I've heard the 805D's and the Olympicas, but they just didn't stand out for me. I found the 805's a little bright, although it may have been the Marantz amplification, and I don't remember why the Olympicas didn't make my short list. Great tip on the CM5's, which I passed up without listening to along the way, so I'll head back and stop there (but will there be enough low end?...I really don't want to deal with a sub). The Dynaudio C1's on the list, to still be auditioned but would extend beyond what I want to spend, so I'd have to really be impressed.
Appreciate the help.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Not a huge fan of that B&W sound myself, although I realize plenty of people are. I do think the Dynaudio Confidence or Consequence series are absolutely amazing speakers. I'm a big fan of Totems, although I think the Elements are overpriced.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
With that budget you should do in home auditions before finalizing your choice.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Revels are quite in high regard here and some member do own them. I never head of McIntosh SPEAKERS, only their electronics. Totems are good, but might be tad overpriced

I would offer few alternatives: Philharmonic audio, Ascend Sierra Towers and Jim Salk's speakers

Oh and lets not forget these Verus Grand Tower Speaker - Aperion Audio
They offer free 30 days in home trials (same for alll brands) but also free return shipping.

And Yes, ReUpRo is right - at this price point you can not rely on forum opinions and reviews - get the speakers in your home and give them a proper listen

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You get a 30 day trial with this Focal 1007 S
FOCAL ELECTRA 1007 S BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (Pr) at Music Direct

The McIntosh sound is not for me - I even prefer the Monitor Audio RX Silver 6,
over their $10,000 towers.

Also, if you go to dealers again to audition, you may want to take a note-book.
Now if a speaker really moves you, you would tend to remember that speaker.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be looking at some Funk Audio 6.1 speakers or some Soundfield Audio Monitor 2s, or maybe something from Salk. I have to question Totem's decision not to use an crossover for the woofer in their element speaker.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Thanks to the great advice coming through on this thread. I will absolutely do home auditions before commiting to anything.

Also alot of good suggestions on alternative choices. Although I'm going to have a hard time finding some of these in my area.

I agree that the Totems seem overpriced at $6K.

I'm finding so much money goes into the finish on speakers these days. Not that I don't like a nicely finished cabinet, but I don't really want to pay for 14 coats of lacquer.

I'd really like to hear from someone who's owned the McIntosh XR50's for an extended period of time. I've never thought of McIntosh as a speaker company, but I found these to sound very good in the showroom.

The Revels impressed me at the $2K price point. Seems like they could be priced higher. They also have matching stands available ($500) for bolting the speaker to the top plate, which to me is a big plus.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm finding so much money goes into the finish on speakers these days. Not that I don't like a nicely finished cabinet, but I don't really want to pay for 14 coats of lacquer.
I agreee. I'm not big on paying for aesthetics either. That is part of the reason I chose Goldenear Triton series. These are fairly under-stated speakers visually, covered in a grill-cloth-sock. Not much to look at, but you know your $ went to components (and marketing etc of course :rolleyes:) instead of aesthetics.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want to pay more for high performance components than a nice finish, you might look at a JBL LSR6328p package. It has room correction equalization, something your McIntosh integrated does not, and it's an active set, so you could just sell your McIntosh. You might also look at some Genelec 8250A monitors, which are also active and come with a room equalization system. Either of these speakers will be extremely neutral, in fact the JBL's are THX pm3 certified, meaning they are accurate enough to be used in creating THX soundtracks- this is not an easy certification to get. In terms of performance I would take JBL LSRs and Genelecs long before I would go with Totem, Revel, and McIntosh. What's nice is they are relatively easy to demo as well, just check around your local pro-audio stores.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard the 805D's and the Olympicas, but they just didn't stand out for me. I found the 805's a little bright, although it may have been the Marantz amplification
The amplification has nothing to so with the "bright" sound or any sound.

It is about the original recording, the processing (EQ, room EQ , DSP, etc.), room, placement, and the speakers.

T

TheStalker

Banned
Current B&W speakers have virtually zero in common with the previous speakers except for the color yellow in the Kevlar cones. So people who don't like the B&W sound need to first hear this completely new approach.

Also, for the love of audio, stay away from the ID companies, garage companies, basement companies, and tree house companies. They all virtually suck across the board.

T

TheStalker

Banned
The amplification has nothing to so with the "bright" sound or any sound.

It is about the original recording, the processing (EQ, room EQ , DSP, etc.), room, placement, and the speakers.
You give very bad advice and obviously have no idea how power amplifiers are engineered. A power amp can absolutely be designed to have more treble output, or bass output, or whatever else built in EQ which was implemented by the designer. Not all amps sound the same. So stop the nonsense.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Current B&W speakers have virtually zero in common with the previous speakers except for the color yellow in the Kevlar cones. So people who don't like the B&W sound need to first hear this completely new approach.

Also, for the love of audio, stay away from the ID companies, garage companies, basement companies, and tree house companies. They all virtually suck across the board.
To the original poster: Ignore this troll, as most of us have already. He is now officially going on my ignore list for spitting complete non-sense. He is not a good match for the open discussions and honest feedback that this site thrives on.

Instead of giving useful feedback, he exaggerates and spits out more subjective opinion over objective info.

For example, check out post #37
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/86676-best-bookshelf-speakers-under-$2000-again-4.html#post984579
Just a few months ago, it seems he didn't know about any of the ID companies, now he pops up and declares that they are all crap. I'm sure he checked them all out in a few months :rolleyes: Looks like a child that likes to stir the pot.

Last edited:
T

TheStalker

Banned
What OP should do is not listen the the numerous ID proponents. It's like a disease which has taken over this board. Everyone with a $40 Dayton mic now thinks that they are an engineer. Buy from reputable companies and enjoy the sound. Get involved with ID and you'll see how hard crap will fall all over you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You give very bad advice and obviously have no idea how power amplifiers are engineered. A power amp can absolutely be designed to have more treble output, or bass output, or whatever else built in EQ which was implemented by the designer. Not all amps sound the same. So stop the nonsense.
And you are a forum troll who is 100% clueless. So go away, although it probably won't be long before you are banned permanently anyway.

T

TheStalker

Banned
And you are a forum troll who is 100% clueless. So go away, although it probably won't be long before you are banned permanently anyway.
No, you're clueless. Have you ever designed a power amp? Why are you giving advice and stating it as facts on something you haven't got the slightest clue on how it works?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What OP should do is not listen the the numerous ID proponents. It's like a disease which has taken over this board. Everyone with a $40 Dayton mic now thinks that they are an engineer. Buy from reputable companies and enjoy the sound. Get involved with ID and you'll see how hard crap will fall all over you.
This is coming from the guy that has an ID subwoofer. You troll, exaggerate the truth, and contradict yourself. Buh-Bye, you are going on yet another ignore list, mine.

You're not quite there YET, but I can tell you that you are slowly creeping towards a perma-ban on this site. This is how it starts, then you get worse and worse about the idiotic garbage coming out of your mouth, you spread poor information and insult longtime members that contribute useful info with each other. Keep it up and the moderators will notice and give you the boot!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis