Finally coming together

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You act like I'm picky. :p
Oh I know you're not. Next time I'll remember to get a little ankle in there. Better strap yourself in for when the replacement arrives. Hairy Asian ankle comin' atcha :eek:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So far I'm not in love with the Darbee processing. Oddly enough, not because I think it over processes the image (except when turned way up), but because the change, so far, isn't all that dramatic. Now, to be fair I've spent about 1 hour with it and I'm watching content that won't necessarily benefit from it most, nor have I used with the PJ yet. My quick call is that it's a pass, but that may change as I grow more familiar with it and try it with different program material and displays.

Well...what do you think of it? :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Getting the Harmony remote to function correctly with the new 103D has thus far been a royal PITA.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, I read that on the AVS owners forum as well. My big issue is that I don't use my PJ for TV very often, and I have yet to determine if I like what it does to BD's. If not, then the usefulness of it is waning.

From Amazon;

Q: Will the Darbee effect be felt with projectors (have Optoma HD20) also?
A:
Yes, very noticeable on projected material... The bigger the image, the more visible it is. I would recommend no more than 45% Darbee set on high def to avoid making the image look over processed.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well 2 hours, a lot of frustration, an inordinate amount of troubleshooting, a work around, and a universal remote with a dead battery later and I think everything is working as it should.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You'll have to excuse my very poor photography skills, but this is about the best I can do at present. The first shot is with no Darbee and the second is with Darbee Full Pop at 40% and this is with a movie on TV. The differences are a little more subtle in the pictures than they are in person.

I think part of the problem I'm having with Darbee processing is how unobtrusive it is when set to an appropriate level. It can get hard to pick out without pausing at a scene and turning it on and off, especially with Hi-Def mode, at least to my eyes and with Television shows. With Full Pop, it's more noticeable, but the artifacting and over processed look can get out of hand quickly. I'm still playing with it and trying to train my eyes to the differences it makes so I can better understand the "improvements" it is making to the images. At this point, I'd say it's growing on me.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The symphony blu ray disk a couple pages back
Yup, pretty close if you don't wait for a good deal. I paid around $70 for mine. Tremendous quality though, so if you like the music totally worth it. I'm thinking of getting the Mozart ones as well.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Yup, pretty close if you don't wait for a good deal. I paid around $70 for mine. Tremendous quality though, so if you like the music totally worth it. I'm thinking of getting the Mozart ones as well.
Is it the type of disk that will make you love it even if you are not that into the classical?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Is it the type of disk that will make you love it even if you are not that into the classical?
I don't want to say 100% either way because that's not pennies we're talking about spending for it. That being said, if you at least enjoy classical music every once in awhile, you may find yourself really enjoying these discs. I think it's cool to see the orchestra up close while they are playing and the recording quality is stellar. If you've got a competent system all around, the DTS Master track on the discs is really excellent. My favorite is Symphony No. 5, first movement.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis