Yamaha RX-V vs RX-A Sound

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I really don't play loud, very seldom just to see how it sounds. I have a 7.2 HT that I am not really concerned about that little extra edge of audio quality, but for music I would like to get the best quality I can from my speakers and subs. What I am looking for is improving the overall 2 channel audio quality, which comes back to my Yamaha question again, RX-A or RX-V for audio quality, power being supplied by a separate amp?
If you're just driving two channels with the avr for music, you probably have sufficient power would be my guess...

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
My experience is not Hetfield's....I removed my power amps (have several in the house) from my avrs as I'm just not listening at levels that require it (deliberately, trying to be nicer to my ears these days). I've never found connecting an amp particularly changed the sound of the speakers inherently without turning the volume up....YMMV.
And that's what makes the world go 'round. I love this hobby!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
the V series had a better power plant but the A series YPAO more than makes up for it, from a longtime Yammy owner.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
the V series had a better power plant but the A series YPAO more than makes up for it, from a longtime Yammy owner.

But not a sound quality difference other than the YPAO difference?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
But not a sound quality difference other than the YPAO difference?
This is purely subjective but it seems when in "Pure Direct" mode the V Series sounded better. I have nothing to base it on. I didn't do any A/B or blind testing. I'm just basing it on audible memory. Also keep in mind that I'm 62 and attended countless concerts over the years. But like i said the A Series YPAO has made such leaps, compared to the YPAO in the V Series, that all is forgiven. Outside of the RX-A3040 in my LR, the other 3 units (RX-A2000, RX-A2040, RX-A3000) are used for music in "Straight" mode (2.1) and I couldn't be happier ... of course ur mileage may vary.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
That's what I found with the adding the Parasound amp to my Def Techs. It's not about playing louder, it just seemed to open them up more, it feed the speakers a much cleaner sound. That's what I found. I was very impressed. The Yamaha was 95 watts but as we know that is not really 95 watts per channel, it's much less. The Parasound is a conservative rated 140 watts per channel. It's just super clean power.

Now you've got me wondering if adding an amp to my Yamaha RX-A1020 to drive my front speakers (DefTech Studio Monitor 65) will make an improvement, the RX-A1020 is rated 110watts / 2 channels driven, the DefTechs are rated to take up to 300 watts.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Now you've got me wondering if adding an amp to my Yamaha RX-A1020 to drive my front speakers (DefTech Studio Monitor 65) will make an improvement, the RX-A1020 is rated 110watts / 2 channels driven, the DefTechs are rated to take up to 300 watts.
I'm not gonna tell you to go out and spend money on an amp. All I can tell you is it made a huge difference. It's just a better amp in every way than the Yamaha. Yamaha can't build an amp like that for a receiver that costs 500 bucks. That's not what a receiver is for anyway. The difference to me was night and day better. The clean and dynamic power is just incredible. It took my Def Tech speakers to a whole new level. I'm kicking myself I didn't do this a long time ago.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In a few months when the Outlaw Model 976 comes out I will be fully into the separates thing. It's good enough for now. Again liking separates better is just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree. To each thier own. There are lots of reasons for using a receiver, no problem at all with that. Not starting a fight, it's just my opinion. I know how out of control these fights can get, I ain't getting into that.

Dude, you're sometimes defensive to the point of hostility, you know that? Nobody said anything about starting anything. I think HD was only pointing out (and I agree) that your observations are very subjective. Double blind testing has proven there's no audible difference between separates and an av receiver when both are operating within spec.

That being said, I did just order the new Monolith from Monoprice. I'm going to offload a few channels to it and take some strain off my avr. I'll have it in a couple of days. When I get it hooked up I'll be very critically listening for differences in sq. I'm guessing aside from some more headroom it'll sound the same.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Dude, you're sometimes defensive to the point of hostility, you know that? Nobody said anything about starting anything. I think HD was only pointing out (and I agree) that your observations are very subjective. Double blind testing has proven there's no audible difference between separates and an av receiver when both are operating within spec.

That being said, I did just order the new Monolith from Monoprice. I'm going to offload a few channels to it and take some strain off my avr. I'll have it in a couple of days. When I get it hooked up I'll be very critically listening for differences in sq. I'm guessing aside from some more headroom it'll sound the same.
Did you read all the posts? I don't think so? We talked about this. I have seen fights over separates and receivers turn into 40 pages and thousands of posts and people getting banned. That is why I said what I said. I made it crystal clear that one is not better than the others. I don't care what anyone buys, or thinks, God bless them. Read the other posts please

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

Also you are going from an amp in a receiver to a ATI designed amp. You are gonna notice more than headroom, I'd bet my house on it. Let us know what you think after some listening. Nice choice on the Monoprice, they look awesome and are getting great reviews.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also you are going from an amp in a receiver to a ATI designed amp. You are gonna notice more than headroom, I'd bet my house on it. Let us know what you think after some listening. Nice choice on the Monoprice, they look awesome and are getting great reviews.
I'll let you know. Keep an eye on my rabbit hole thread. I'll be posting first impressions there. I got some new speakers too. :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think people have this impression that all an amp does is supply power, wattage and while that is true there is better amps with clean dynamic sound. Every amp doesn't sound the same. If they did there wouldn't be so many companies building them.
I've been in this hobby a long time and while yes your speakers make the biggest impact, everything plays into the sound quality. Your processor, your receiver, your speakers the most. Cables let's be honest that is real snake oil, as long as they are well made they are fine, no need to go nuts. Also I am a believer in the law for diminishing returns, but that doesn't mean the crappiest amp will sound the same as one that costs 10 grand.
I'm glad we live in a great time with a lot of choice for less expensive but great sounding gear. From ID companies like SVS, HSU, RSL, Rhythmic and even a PSA. Oh Emotiva, and Outlaw audio too. It's pretty awesome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think people have this impression that all an amp does is supply power, wattage and while that is true there is better amps with clean dynamic sound. Every amp doesn't sound the same. If they did there wouldn't be so many companies building them.
I've been in this hobby a long time and while yes your speakers make the biggest impact, everything plays into the sound quality. Your processor, your receiver, your speakers the most. Cables let's be honest that is real snake oil, as long as they are well made they are fine, no need to go nuts. Also I am a believer in the law for diminishing returns, but that doesn't mean the crappiest amp will sound the same as one that costs 10 grand.
I'm glad we live in a great time with a lot of choice for less expensive but great sounding gear. From ID companies like SVS, HSU, RSL, Rhythmic and even a PSA. Oh Emotiva, and Outlaw audio too. It's pretty awesome.

I'm anxious to see. I'd like nothing better than to be blown away. I'm also going to see the difference towers will make compared to my bookshelf speakers. They're both things I've talked about on here. I'm about to find out first hand.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm anxious to see. I'd like nothing better than to be blown away. I'm also going to see the difference towers will make compared to my bookshelf speakers. They're both things I've talked about on here. I'm about to find out first hand.
Woa you bought towers too? I thought you have SVS ultra mains and center channel?
I mean I haven't heard the Monolith but I'd be blown away if you didn't hear an incredible difference. Is it a 2 channel amp, 3 channel?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Woa you bought towers too? I thought you have SVS ultra mains and center channel?
I mean I haven't heard the Monolith but I'd be blown away if you didn't hear an incredible difference. Is it a 2 channel amp, 3 channel?

7. I figure if I'm willing to spend a grand for 3, I might as well pony up a couple hundred more for the other 4. And yes, I got the towers too. If you want to catch up I have a thread in gen disc.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
7. I figure if I'm willing to spend a grand for 3, I might as well pony up a couple hundred more for the other 4. And yes, I got the towers too. If you want to catch up I have a thread in gen disc.
Oh ok, don't know how I missed that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty sure you couldn't tell the difference in a proper test. I'd bet your house on it, too. No one has ever collected on such a bet but have been egged on by stupid reviewers otoh. Have you done a rigorous comparison or just on the subjective bandwagon?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

So define this "clean dynamic sound" please. How do we find such magic amps?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You see what is going on Porge? Do you see how this starts? That's why I made the first postings the way I did. I said it's my opinion. That's it, I'm not getting into this.
I will say say again it made a very big to huge difference in my HT. It sounds much better than with the receiver amp. Really drives the Def Techs nicely. The Yamaha didn't sound bad at all, but the Parasound amp sounds much better. Much better dynamics. Again all I can say is it made a very big difference in my room, with my speakers with my system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You see what is going on Porge? Do you see how this starts? That's why I made the first postings the way I did. I said it's my opinion. That's it, I'm not getting into this.
I will say say again it made a very big to huge difference in my HT. It sounds much better than with the receiver amp. Really drives the Def Techs nicely. The Yamaha didn't sound bad at all, but the Parasound amp sounds much better. Much better dynamics. Again all I can say is it made a very big difference in my room, with my speakers with my system.

Lol sorry, couldn't resist. Must be all the dirty powered non-dynamic amps out there muddying the waters.... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis