Yamaha RX-V vs RX-A Sound

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
I have read up on the technical differences and features of these Yamaha lines, but can't find much relating to the actual sound. In comparable specs models, will there be a notable diffedence in "SOUND" between the RX-V line and the RX-A Aventage line???

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How would you define such a difference, if it existed?

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
I,m not sure!!! I guess my question is if your ears can notice a difference.

I have Klipsch RF63 towers with dual RSW-10D subs for music, and serving double duty for HT. Currently have an RX-V679, which from what I gather, does not do "justice" to those speakers, but I do like the bells and whistles. I would like to upgrade to one of these two options:
1. All out Yamaha RX-A3050 150W(or comparable).
2. A lower RX-A or RX-V with the features I like, and add separate 150W-200W amp for the RF63.

Which way does "experience" believe I should take??

BTW. I like Yamahas, my listening room is smallish and I listen to all types of music and HT.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Go to separates you'll be much better off in the long run. Better sound quality all the way around. I just did and it's amazing the difference.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
Would you go with an RX-V or and RX-A, of comparable specs and features. Of course both with separate amps for the towers.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Would you go with an RX-V or and RX-A, of comparable specs and features. Of course both with separate amps for the towers.
I am using an older RX-V663 Yamaha with a Parasound HCA 1205A 5 channel amp and it's just incredible the difference. The Parasound is clean, dynamic and powerful sound. It's got headroom for days. It really makes my Def Tech speakers sing, took them you a whole new level. It drives them so effortlessly, so beautifully it's pretty awesome. I don't think I'll ever go back to a receiver again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never had a Yamaha. Pick the avr for the features/connectivity you want. If you need more amp then add an external amp (altho that is not what is usually meant by separates, that's just adding an external amp to an avr).

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Never had a Yamaha. Pick the avr for the features/connectivity you want. If you need more amp then add an external amp (altho that is not what is usually meant by separates, that's just adding an external amp to an avr).
In a few months when the Outlaw Model 976 comes out I will be fully into the separates thing. It's good enough for now. Again liking separates better is just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree. To each thier own. There are lots of reasons for using a receiver, no problem at all with that. Not starting a fight, it's just my opinion. I know how out of control these fights can get, I ain't getting into that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In a few months when the Outlaw Model 976 comes out I will be fully into the separates thing. It's good enough for now. Again liking separates better is just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree. To each thier own. There are lots of reasons for using a receiver, no problem at all with that. Not starting a fight, it's just my opinion. I know how out of control these fights can get, I ain't getting into that.

I've got both, no big deal and if you saw that as a fight good grief....it's just that separates normally mean separate tuner/processor/pre-amp vs amp, not adding an amp to an avr. The net effect is pretty much the same, tho.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
Sorry for my lack of the proper terms, I was always referring to AVR + amp.

Never really though about going all separates because for my style of use the AVRs' are more practical.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry for my lack of the proper terms, I was always referring to AVR + amp.

Never really though about going all separates because for my style of use the AVRs' are more practical.
Adding an amp is more about using the amp's capabilities. Are you experiencing clipping/distortion issues at your listening levels? If not I'd save the money. Your speakers are relatively sensitive, do you really need more amp? When people use the term "doing justice" in terms of speakers in this way, it often means they have no clue. Money is better spent on better speakers, not the electronics.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I've got both, no big deal and if you saw that as a fight good grief....it's just that separates normally mean separate tuner/processor/pre-amp vs amp, not adding an amp to an avr. The net effect is pretty much the same, tho.
No, no I didn't. I just know the slightest word out of step can set people off. I saw a separates/receiver fight on AVS once last for 40 plus pages and weeks on end. I just didn't want anyone taking what I said and freaking out. God bless what anyone chooses.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, no I didn't. I just know the slightest word out of step can set people off. I saw a separates/receiver fight on AVS once last for 40 plus pages and weeks on end. I just didn't want anyone taking what I said and freaking out. God bless what anyone chooses.

No worries, suum cuique is one of my favorite sayings.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
The general suggestions is that feeding more power than the 90W currently supplied by my RX-V679, will really open up the RF63s. They really sound great how they are now, but more experienced folks are always saying to supply more power. Don't have much experience, but I do really appreciate, and notice, quality sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The general suggestions is that feeding more power than the 90W currently supplied by my RX-V679, will really open up the RF63s. They really sound great how they are now, but more experienced folks are always saying to supply more power. Don't have much experience, but I do really appreciate, and notice, quality sound.
Depends on your listening levels. Ever use an spl calculator to get an idea of your amp requirements/needs? Do you know that it takes a doubling of power to gain merely 3dB in spl? Headroom is nice but do you really need it?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's what I found with the adding the Parasound amp to my Def Techs. It's not about playing louder, it just seemed to open them up more, it feed the speakers a much cleaner sound. That's what I found. I was very impressed. The Yamaha was 95 watts but as we know that is not really 95 watts per channel, it's much less. The Parasound is a conservative rated 140 watts per channel. It's just super clean power.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
I really don't play loud, very seldom just to see how it sounds. I have a 7.2 HT that I am not really concerned about that little extra edge of audio quality, but for music I would like to get the best quality I can from my speakers and subs. What I am looking for is improving the overall 2 channel audio quality, which comes back to my Yamaha question again, RX-A or RX-V for audio quality, power being supplied by a separate amp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My experience is not Hetfield's....I removed my power amps (have several in the house) from my avrs as I'm just not listening at levels that require it (deliberately, trying to be nicer to my ears these days). I've never found connecting an amp particularly changed the sound of the speakers inherently without turning the volume up....YMMV.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
I think you just saved me a lot of money:) jajajajaja!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis