Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Hey Randy....I can make you a set of speakers for $5K. Can you sign this contract? :)

All kidding aside....we should have a list of all his usernames on the various boards, and as a community, keep an eye on him.

Matt34

Matt34

I took a $1200 loss on speakers that I never saw. At least in the end someone got the speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Refresh my memory. Is this the same Chris guy that absolutely loved the B&W 802D?

I think he is the real reason I hated B&W.:eek:

Every time I hear "B&W" I see his ugly face.:mad:

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
He is very smart about a lot things including telling me that if I took him to small claims court, he would declare bankruptcy and I wouldn't get anything. I wasn't going to throw good money after bad.
randy, if at all possible take him to small claims court, force him to file the bankruptcy and let that hang over his head for awhile, call his bluff, but like I said , if possible on your end. The whole rip off aspect sux big time and it irks me to hear about it, best regards, sawz.

**Edit, sorry I posted this before reading some of your last posts, I do feel this way ^^ but also understand your point of view. I almost caved and sent him money just about the same time this all came to light and he wanted a "lot" of my green some other members steered me away and then all this. I agree , keep him away from here and warn others.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Wow. I don't want to sound like some lame internet tough guy or whatever, but I would not let him get away with it. He'd pay somehow.
i'm no tough guy at all ... but i would pay a tough guy about 2k to extract payment.

let me know if you want this post deleted ;)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I have had many phone conversations with Chu on this. In the end, it just did not make sense to throw good money after bad. I am pretty sure Chu would continue to pursue it but not with his own money:) In addition, the statute of limitations has probably expired on this depending on when the default would have been deemed to occur.

Again, this was my mistake, but there were others who either lost small amounts or took moving heaven and earth to get him to finish small projects. I just want to make sure no one forgets and somehow lets him back into the community (I periodcially look at Parts Express to make sure I put in a "good word" if I see him posting.) Frankly, he is the only bad apple I have met in the DIY/small speaker business community. It is kind of shame because he had the knowledge to complete the project but spent all the money on his own wants.
Randy,

Have you looked into implicating his parents and tying them and their property into the legal action? I don't know if it's possible but I would try to scare the parents and then let them know that if they don't have the money you would take equipment in trade for compensation. Intimidation is key. Even if you don't have a leg to stand on they might blink first.

Just a thought...If not come to peace with it and screw his reputation online whenever you can.

Sorry you had to go though this,
Doug

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
let them know that if they don't have the money you would take equipment in trade for compensation.
I've mentioned talking to the parents before but the idea got set aside.

Randy, have you ever spoken to Chris' parents or tried to get any gear from him that is yours like drivers and whatever else that project required? I'm curious is all. I think I know what's wrong with Chris but I doubt his father has the same issue.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I'm in agreement with the majority: he needs to pay for his crime. Go after him, and his parents if necessary. If these people aren't disciplined they'll just repeat their offense.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to Randy, Matt, and everyone else that got ripped off. Sincerely. Randy, I know that you're frustrated, but I can't help but agree that there's a point at which you're losing more than you'd ever get back - and I'm not just talking about money. Your time, your stress level, your health...those are all worth a lot. Maybe just let it go.

Honestly, I always thought Chris was a d-bag. Pretty much post after post, I thought it. I just ignored him. Maybe he was an audio genius, but I thought that he was just a conceited, delusional liar. I was shocked that anyone would ever consider paying him to build something (sorry - that's not meant as a put down to anyone). When I came back after 17 months, I didn't shed one tear that he wasn't still around.

Ahhhh, that feels better. :) Hey, Randy - call him a d-bag. It's kind of therapeutic. :D Hmmm, I'm guessing that you've called him a lot of things.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly, I always thought Chris was a d-bag. Pretty much post after post, I thought it. I just ignored him. Maybe he was an audio genius, but I thought that he was just a conceited, delusional liar.
The proof is in the pudding as they say. Having heard his main rig leaves little doubt that he knew stuff. Putting 90% effort into a 10% return and being the worlds worst at estimating how long something was going to take were his undoing. I found the constant yak about how certain mods would only require 2 hours or whatever infuriating. It takes me two hours to find the right screwdriver bit to yank the first driver on a speaker.

Anyway he seems to be off the audio forums and there's little chance of him bilking anybody else on AH for cash. I've met some of the DIY'ers from Parts Express and they were completely unaware of him. I'm sure if he pops up somewhere with a different user name he won't be hard to recognize and expose. I'm having a hard time accepting that I read him that wrong but Randy's situation does speak for itself. :(

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I found the constant yak about how certain mods would only require 2 hours or whatever infuriating. It takes me two hours to find the right screwdriver bit to yank the first driver on a speaker.
I still want to slap him for that. These stinking 3-ways are heavily influenced by his knowledge and there is no way I'd only charge 5k for them. It is not an easy task to do CLD.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I still want to slap him for that. These stinking 3-ways are heavily influenced by his knowledge and there is no way I'd only charge 5k for them. It is not an easy task to do CLD.
???
Compulsive Lying Disorder ??

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
???
Compulsive Lying Disorder ??
Constrained Layer Damping is a type of damping used to reduce vibration by sandwiching a damping material between two boards. It is typically used in home theater construction.(green glue) It is used in loudspeakers sometimes because you get a lot for little.

It's typically used in industry to prevent vibration transmission from a machine to the factory. One person has postulated the added mass and change in material is the actual thing that helps the sound.

See:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/lowering-mechanical-noise-floor-in-speakers-pt-2

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Have to agree with Adam; I always saw him as a 'One Trick Pony'

His endless talk of Constrained Layer Damping and overly complex methods. To what end?:confused:
The tube steel slopped together with construction adhesive had my eyes rolling.
I kept quiet for years, since he had the ear of many...to put it diplomatically.:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Have to agree with Adam; I always saw him as a 'One Trick Pony'

His endless talk of Constrained Layer Damping and overly complex methods. To what end?:confused:
The tube steel slopped together with construction adhesive had my eyes rolling.
I kept quiet for years, since he had the ear of many...to put it diplomatically.:D
Unfortunately I was one of those ears and it was a major blow to see him turn into this. Many of his DIY is easy statements were utter nonsense. Even a sealed subwoofer is a great challenge to the new woodworker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis