Status
Not open for further replies.
R

randyb

Full Audioholic
take him to small claims court
He is very smart about a lot things including telling me that if I took him to small claims court, he would declare bankruptcy and I wouldn't get anything. I wasn't going to throw good money after bad.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
He is very smart about a lot things including telling me that if I took him to small claims court, he would declare bankruptcy and I wouldn't get anything. I wasn't going to throw good money after bad.
That really is too bad. :(

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Wow. I don't want to sound like some lame internet tough guy or whatever, but I would not let him get away with it. He'd pay somehow.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Wow. I don't want to sound like some lame internet tough guy or whatever, but I would not let him get away with it. He'd pay somehow.
My financial counselor calls it the Stupid Tax. It sucks to pay it, but you learned a valuable lesson.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Are you still hoping to get something out of him? If not, then you would not lose anything by going to small claims court. Bankruptcy is not good on one's credit;):D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
What a douchebag. Call his bluff and make him declare bankruptcy.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My financial counselor calls it the Stupid Tax. It sucks to pay it, but you learned a valuable lesson.
Why rub two year old wounds? You got burned, yet I heard nothing but your side of this ugly story. WmAx was extremely knowledgeable and helpful member of this community. I was sorry to see him get banned and expelled.

Did he rob of you 5g ? Go to small court and do your best to get the money back. Like others said - No one would declare bankruptcy over 5k if they have a choice, since it's destroys the credit for a Minimum of 10 year (or more). Even if you don't get any money from him this would be your revenge.

If you can prove (in civil court) that Chris used your money for anything else other than building your speakers - that's consider a fraud. p.s: This is pure civil case and police has nothing to do with it.

I'm pretty sure , but check first, you'd have to file the case in Chris state of residence.

IANAL

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Are you still hoping to get something out of him? If not, then you would not lose anything by going to small claims court. Bankruptcy is not good on one's credit;):D
I was thinking the same thing.

Also, don't the newer bankruptcy laws make it more difficult to do so?

I think it would be good to make him jump through hoops, if it doesn't cause you to do a lot of work.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think he would file bankruptcy. It's pretty evil that he would say that though. He wouldn't be able to get out of his own way long enough to get the papers filed and show up for court etc. Is he just telling you to eff off?

BSA, iAnal :confused: ... is that an Apple butt plug? :D

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Just a quick update that WmAx did indeed rip me off for 5k. I tried going through the sheriff but foxy WmAx was smart enough to use a contract to make it a commercial transaction so not fraud...just a good scheme on his part. Just a word to the wise. If someone insists on making you sign a contract for what should be a friendly DIY type thing, run for the hills. My guess is I funded Chris's turntable and a few other goodies. To bad I am a non-believer in Karma and other such things are I would think he would get his come uppence at some point.
I was curious about an update, Randy. I really was hoping you would get your money back or at least the promised speaker. Sucks. :(

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
How did we go from a crook to "ianal?" You love anal? I'm so confused..:)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Just a quick update that WmAx did indeed rip me off for 5k. I tried going through the sheriff but foxy WmAx was smart enough to use a contract to make it a commercial transaction so not fraud...just a good scheme on his part. Just a word to the wise. If someone insists on making you sign a contract for what should be a friendly DIY type thing, run for the hills. My guess is I funded Chris's turntable and a few other goodies. To bad I am a non-believer in Karma and other such things are I would think he would get his come uppence at some point.
That's too bad randy.
What rights, if any, did this contract afford you?
Why can't you go after him in Small Claims?

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Why rub two year old wounds? You got burned, yet I heard nothing but your side of this ugly story. WmAx was extremely knowledgeable and helpful member of this community. I was sorry to see him get banned and expelled.

Did he rob of you 5g ? Go to small court and do your best to get the money back. Like others said - No one would declare bankruptcy over 5k if they have a choice, since it's destroys the credit for a Minimum of 10 year (or more). Even if you don't get any money from him this would be your revenge.

If you can prove (in civil court) that Chris used your money for anything else other than building your speakers - that's consider a fraud. p.s: This is pure civil case and police has nothing to do with it.

I'm pretty sure , but check first, you'd have to file the case in Chris state of residence.

IANAL
Just tieing up old news. Yes, he would file bankruptcy, he doesn't own anything except stereo stuff and lives at home with his parents. I am not going to fly out to VA to file a small claims court and then appear only to get a worthless judgement. It is not fraud in the eyes of the county prosecutor because she looked at my case and one other guys that a sheriff out there (nice person) developed. Since there was a contract it became a civil matter and WmAx knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

WmAx was/is a con who is/was very smart and I am posting just to remind people of that. Yes, he had a lot of knowledge but so do a lot of con artists.

P.S. He should have been banned and he should continue to be banned so people don't say how knowledgeable he is and have others sucked into giving money to him. It was a good lesson for me though because I really had misgivings when he insisted on a contract. You would think it would protect you but it doesn't in a situation like this because it goes from fraud to a civil matter. I considered bailing at that point, but as you point out, he was so knowlegeable and helpful I went ahead with it. Those misgiving were confirmed when he basically told me what he would do. He was pissed (the nerve of the guy) because a sheriff came out to interview him (and his mother) about what was up.

Also, I can prove my side of the story.

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Just tieing up old news. Yes, he would file bankruptcy, he doesn't own anything except stereo stuff and lives at home with his parents. I am not going to fly out to VA to file a small claims court and then appear only to get a worthless judgement. It is not fraud in the eyes of the county prosecutor becasue she looked at mine and one other guys cases that a sheriff out there (nice person) developed. Since there was a contract it became a civil matter and WmAx knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

WmAx was/is a con who is/was very smart and I am posting just to remind people of that. Yes, he had a lot of knowledge but so do a lot of con artists.

P.S. He should have been banned and he should continue to be band so as to have people say how knowledgeable he is and be sucked into giving money to him.
I'd talk to Chu if I were you. He's knowledegable about this stuff pertaining if you would actually have to travel out of state and be there in person.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
I'd talk to Chu if I were you. He's knowledegable about this stuff pertaining if you would actually have to travel out of state and be there in person.
I have had many phone conversations with Chu on this. In the end, it just did not make sense to throw good money after bad. I am pretty sure Chu would continue to pursue it but not with his own money:) In addition, the statute of limitations has probably expired on this depending on when the default would have been deemed to occur.

Again, this was my mistake, but there were others who either lost small amounts or took moving heaven and earth to get him to finish small projects. I just want to make sure no one forgets and somehow lets him back into the community (I periodcially look at Parts Express to make sure I put in a "good word" if I see him posting.) Frankly, he is the only bad apple I have met in the DIY/small speaker business community. It is kind of shame because he had the knowledge to complete the project but spent all the money on his own wants.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Jerry Love is once again my new best friend.
I love that man. :D

Chris isn't banned here any longer. I think his ban expired or something. I don't know what all happened with Chris. I never got the sense that he was a con man but the last time I saw him I definitely got the sense that he didn't give a sh!t when I laid out my expectations after discovering that he had flat out lied to me about the progress on Matt's speakers. I mean I didn't expect him to quake in his boots but I don't get a chance to see many people not care that I'm mad at them. Like I said, I didn't need him to be afraid. I needed him to understand that the next time I came back I expected completion or my property on his porch because if I had to come back in the house to get it ... ugh ... they'd a been locking me up and for sure I'd a killed his mother's dog.

... but then Jesus sent me Jerry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis