Why even buy a blue-ray player. It is maddness!

J

jasonstilwell

Banned
Just an observation, but a bunch of my friends are talking about blue-ray and what kind of player they should get. Most of my friends are gamers on some level or another and I'm like "Get a freakin' PS3".
Why any person who games on any level would go out and drop 250 or MUCH more on a dedicated blue-ray player when a PS3 costs 300 and plays blue-ray just as well is beyond me.
Does anyone remember that Sony LOST money big time on the PS3 launch because they wanted to push blue-ray over HDDVD as the standard?
Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Just an observation, but a bunch of my friends are talking about blue-ray and what kind of player they should get. Most of my friends are gamers on some level or another and I'm like "Get a freakin' PS3".
Why any person who games on any level would go out and drop 250 or MUCH more on a dedicated blue-ray player when a PS3 costs 300 and plays blue-ray just as well is beyond me.
Does anyone remember that Sony LOST money big time on the PS3 launch because they wanted to push blue-ray over HDDVD as the standard?
Just a thought...
why do you have a macromedia script on your post and on your 6th post as well

removed macromedia - broke the link ht tp ://bun nyh ero.info/ads/ad.swf

Last edited:
Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
On probation already.
That's gotta be a record.:D
Mike, I'll sleep better tonite knowing you're on watch.:)

S

santeini

Audioholic Intern
Yep you are absolutely right and i told my bro the same thing why buy a dedicated B/Ray when PS3 allows you to do the same thing and plays
game as well.

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
Just a thought...
Because PS3 does not transmit all of the new CODECS are you a tru Audiophile??HMMMMMMM suspect. Also is missing DEEP COLOR etc, etc........ That is like saying why even buy a HDTV if your old tv has a digital converter box, simple you may have digital but without all of the functionality and if you are not used to seeing them you won't know what you are missing.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
The PS3 will play Blu-rays, but it doesn't have very good sound quality. As JCIL stated above, it transmit the new Codecs and is a terrible CD and DVD player. No up scaling etc. That is why. I have both, a PS3 and a Blu-Ray... So I'm either foolish, or ... maybe there is a reason. And, I will be purchasing the new Oppo Blu-Ray player when it is released, as it is the best all in one solution for the money for DVD/CD and Blu-Ray...

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
why do you have a macromedia script on your post and on your 6th post as well

removed macromedia - broke the link ht tp ://bun nyh ero.info/ads/ad.swf
Mike,

What did this member get put on probation for? I want to understand what he did wrong, obviously to avoid making any mistakes like he did.

Thanks,

Gregg

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Mike,

What did this member get put on probation for? I want to understand what he did wrong, obviously to avoid making any mistakes like he did.

Thanks,

Gregg
it would seem he registered and made 5 posts just so he could attach a link to his 6th post ...

the link was some sort of macromedia script that downloads from an internet link ... what it is ... i don't know. my IE and other browsers will not see it, but my maxthon blocked the script.

(i kinda deleted his script - forgot that it was on my clipboard when i copied the link)

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
it would seem he registered and made 5 posts just so he could attach a link to his 6th post ...

the link was some sort of macromedia script that downloads from an internet link ... what it is ... i don't know. my IE and other browsers will not see it, but my maxthon blocked the script.

(i kinda deleted his script - forgot that it was on my clipboard when i copied the link)
Gets bailed out Expires 08:24 PM 04-04-2009

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't buy the PS3 simply because it did not have 5.1/7.1 analog outputs.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
If this guy was just racking up 5 useless posts in order to post a malicious link of some sort, it's doubtful that he will be back if he already has been busted.

He may be though, perhaps it was a misunderstanding... I guess we'll see.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
good point. I guess we can let this forum die for now and see if he returns...

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
The PS3 is $400 for the 80GB and $500 for the 160GB if u didnt notice.....until the price drop comes....hopefully soon....hopefully GDC 09

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
The PS3 has great sound quality. LPCM is an amazing thing and is just as good as DTSMA, etc...b/c it's essentially the same thing-a lossless codec. If you have HDMI capable equipment, then you really can't go wrong with the PS3. The only reason to fuss about it is if you need to see the fancy new lights on a AVR light up and say DTSMA or TrueHD, etc.

And it does upscale-quite well. I get 1080P on my tv as well when watching a DVD. I don't use it much as a cd player, b/c I prefer my 5 disc changer for convenience, but cd's sound great on it as well. I think there are a lot of people put off by it's price and it causes a negative view point. That, or they have seen it at a friend's house or store with a less than optimal setup perhaps...that could cause bad impressions as well. Or, it could just be that they didn't set it up themselves properly, lol.

I'm not against someone buying a separate bluray player, they look nice, may hold up longer, etc...but there's not much reason to buy one over a ps3 from a functionality standpoint unless there is a huge price difference. That's completely understandable, especially with the realities of today's world. As is not having an AVR with full HDMI capabilities.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but does anything even use deep color, etc, yet? I know some TV's have it and some players support it, but I've yet to see any media with it. I'm assuming, that since someone is complaining that the ps3 doesn't support it, that I'm merely ignorant of the fact that such media exists...please inform me if I'm incorrect. Otherwise, that too seems like a rather petty and uninformed argument.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
There are 40GB refurbished PS3s for about $210 at slickdeals.net. Seems like that would be a pretty cheap way to get into a blue ray player.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
There are 40GB refurbished PS3s for about $210 at slickdeals.net. Seems like that would be a pretty cheap way to get into a blue ray player.
Maybe I'm missing something.....but why would anyone pay THAT much more for a larger hard drive?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe I'm missing something.....but why would anyone pay THAT much more for a larger hard drive?
I'm not sure what you mean by larger? The 40G was the smaller one at the time, but the 80G is the small one now. For $210, you could pick up a cheap drive and have it up to a much larger capacity very easily for under $300 total.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis