Why even buy a blue-ray player. It is maddness!

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
You could just pay about $210 and play blu ray discs instead of paying $350-$? for a dedicated player. Not sure the price of blu ray players because they have been too much for me to get interested.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure what you mean by larger? The 40G was the smaller one at the time, but the 80G is the small one now. For $210, you could pick up a cheap drive and have it up to a much larger capacity very easily for under $300 total.
Yeah thats what I was implying.......what would you use the space for? I mean what are you going to do with an extra few GB's? Now that we are in the HD age you are gonna need a lot more space than that to justify and upgrade.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I own an escient server, 80gb, and I check on ebay every once and awhile to look at what servers are selling for.......there was a movie server on there with like 12 terrabytes of storage!......up to 170 full length dvd quality movies. Wow.

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
I purchased my ps3 for 350.00 at x-mas.160 gb,all I had to do was sign up sonys credirt card:D

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I own an escient server, 80gb, and I check on ebay every once and awhile to look at what servers are selling for.......there was a movie server on there with like 12 terrabytes of storage!......up to 170 full length dvd quality movies. Wow.

Yeah I have 4.5 TB of storage on my RAID 5 right now....and that can scale to 10.5 TB by just adding drives.

I encode all my blurays and HDDVD's to .mkv's and currently have over 300 movies......:)

Hey Dave I got those dipoles up by the way and they sound amazing!!

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Why? Well, a few reasons for me are;

1) My PS3 is freaking noisy.
2) Not only does my my PS3 look out of place in my AV rack but it won't stack properly either unless I always have it on the top.
3) There were some issues with the PS3 passing on the correct RGB range and colour space to Pioneer Kuros which, for me at least, was fixed by HDMI directly to the TV and forcing the colour space on that input (putting it through my 4306 receiver would work if I forced the colour space but that also affected everything else coming in through the receiver). This meant audio going out via the fibre which means no TruHD.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I have 4.5 TB of storage on my RAID 5 right now....and that can scale to 10.5 TB by just adding drives.

I encode all my blurays and HDDVD's to .mkv's and currently have over 300 movies......:)

Hey Dave I got those dipoles up by the way and they sound amazing!!
Running Raid 5 is a sign of insanity for any home application.:p

But I guess if one of your drives goes out you will be all good.

You just better hope 2 don't go out.

*Picks up magnet:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Why? Well, a few reasons for me are;

1) My PS3 is freaking noisy.
2) Not only does my my PS3 look out of place in my AV rack but it won't stack properly either unless I always have it on the top.
3) There were some issues with the PS3 passing on the correct RGB range and colour space to Pioneer Kuros which, for me at least, was fixed by HDMI directly to the TV and forcing the colour space on that input (putting it through my 4306 receiver would work if I forced the colour space but that also affected everything else coming in through the receiver). This meant audio going out via the fibre which means no TruHD.
My PJ puts the ps3 to shame with it's fan noise. It slaps it around the corner.:)

Get the right PJ and you won't hear the ps3 anymore.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Running Raid 5 is a sign of insanity for any home application.:p

But I guess if one of your drives goes out you will be all good.

You just better hope 2 don't go out.

*Picks up magnet:D
I believe it a sign of insanity to not have some type of redundant RAID solution if you have over 500GB of stuff you don't want to lose. Because anything over 500GB costs a fortune to implement a backup solution for.

Yes I thought about running RAID 6 for the very reason that if one of my drives fail and then another before I can rebuild the RAID (takes about 20 hours while the system is online BTW) I would be hosed. :) Here's hoping.

The RAID 5 not only provides me peace of mind, it's also incredibly fast.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Areca ARC-1280. Do it. :D
Yeah right....because I have $1200 to blow on a RAID card....lol

My Highpoint actually performs quite well, getting over 380MBps reads on the RAID 5 (4x1.5 Seagates) and I actually have 2x250GB WD's on the same controller in RAID 0 and they only get around 270MBps read.

I love this controller so far. It does everything I need and is really fast.

I'm in IT so I have had the more expensive controllers in my home and I use them at work all the time. Its just not worth the $500+ price tag as I got my Highpoint 2320 for $210 on newegg.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah thats what I was implying.......what would you use the space for? I mean what are you going to do with an extra few GB's? Now that we are in the HD age you are gonna need a lot more space than that to justify and upgrade.
I got my 250G really cheap, so it was a no brainer. Other than the restore not working, it was a painless process. Now that I did that though, I stopped renting movies from them because Netflix is much cheaper per movie. I will still use the space though. My 60 was completely full.

With the former models there were fewer features on the 20G and 40G. The current models may be the same as the former 40 and 80, just with larger HDDs, which would mean there are a few other features that are different between the two as well, but not $100 worth.

alexsabree

alexsabree

Junior Audioholic
BluRay is good, its just way to expensive at the moment. There is a noticeable difference in quality just because of the resolution. I have a 1920x1080 computer monitor and I honestly can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. However 720p looks a hell of a lot better than the standard DVD resolution.

Now if you have a HUGE - and I mean HUGE television screen.. 1080P just might be a necessity.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
BluRay is good, its just way to expensive at the moment. There is a noticeable difference in quality just because of the resolution. I have a 1920x1080 computer monitor and I honestly can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. However 720p looks a hell of a lot better than the standard DVD resolution.

Now if you have a HUGE - and I mean HUGE television screen.. 1080P just might be a necessity.
I can tell the difference on my 46" LCD from 12 feet away. There is a difference between full rez 720p and full rez 1080p.

alexsabree

alexsabree

Junior Audioholic
I can tell the difference on my 46" LCD from 12 feet away. There is a difference between full rez 720p and full rez 1080p.
Yeah, I guess there is a small difference, but I don't think its enough to warrant all the extra space 1080P takes up. But then again, there is no other standard that supports these resolutions.. so your paying the same price for either.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I guess there is a small difference, but I don't think its enough to warrant all the extra space 1080P takes up. But then again, there is no other standard that supports these resolutions.. so your paying the same price for either.
Come on......this is Audioholics, once you have seen/heard the best, you just can't settle for anything less. :D

alexsabree

alexsabree

Junior Audioholic
Come on......this is Audioholics, once you have seen/heard the best, you just can't settle for anything less. :D
Lol, so true. ;)

I just don't understand why Sony is making us pay soo much for BluRay!! Its not nearly as expensive as they are selling it for, it can't be...

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Lol, so true. ;)

I just don't understand why Sony is making us pay soo much for BluRay!! Its not nearly as expensive as they are selling it for, it can't be...
Because they can.....its the only consumer grade HD medium now.

Think of Sony as General Bethlehem in The Postman. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think everyone would understand if Audioholics were to "hold back" in this time of economic crisis.:D

As soon as the economy is back up and everyone has a good job again, then we can expect the FULL Audioholic standards.:D

No, about blu-rays.

I own the $2K Denon blu-ray player.

I've owned a PS3, Sony blu-ray player, & Panasonic blu-ray player.

I think they are all pretty much equals in terms of picture and sound quality.

Lately, I've been playing around with my laptop + blu-ray drive. It has HDMI for 1080p, but only DD & DTS (no TrueHD or DTS-HD).

I still think the PQ & SQ of this HTPC blu-ray setup is about as good as any BD player out there.

So if your PC has HDMI (or DVI + Digital Coaxial Audio), all you need is a $100 external blu-ray drive and you are all set!:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I believe it a sign of insanity to not have some type of redundant RAID solution if you have over 500GB of stuff you don't want to lose. Because anything over 500GB costs a fortune to implement a backup solution for.

Yes I thought about running RAID 6 for the very reason that if one of my drives fail and then another before I can rebuild the RAID (takes about 20 hours while the system is online BTW) I would be hosed. :) Here's hoping.

The RAID 5 not only provides me peace of mind, it's also incredibly fast.
It's definitely a fast and safe way to go. since you have a parity bit covering each of the drives should one fail. Parity is a crazy thing. Let's you do things like have one HD backing up 5 drives all at once

raid 6 only requires an extra hard drive. But the odds of 2 drives dying isn't too high in home use.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis