Seth=L said:
Especially the drool part, it is scarier than it sounds.:D

The Little Shop of Horrors right! Read me Seymour, read me now.:D

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Bi Wire..... rhymes with....
snake oil :D

And yes Seth, time to use that book to it's full potential: a booster seat for Gary Coleman :p :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
yettitheman said:
Bi Wire..... rhymes with....
snake oil :D

And yes Seth, time to use that book to it's full potential: a booster seat for Gary Coleman :p :D
Very fitting John.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
You better just stick with ONE name..... people will get confused.
Or is it because I just had my birthday and my name changes???
You sick ****! :D

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Heres an idea, Lets keep beating a dead horse because we have nothing better to do. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Robert Harley is
In a bi-wired system, the amplifier "sees" a higher impedance on the tweeter cable at low frequencies, and a lower impedance ha high frequencies. The opposite is true in the woofer half of the bi-wired pair. This causes the signal to be split up, with high frequencies traveling mostly in the pair diveing the loudspeaker's tweeter circuit and low frequencies conducted by the pair connected to the loudspeaker's woofer circuit.

Wait a minute, the amplifier can "see", wow! That is like space age or something isn't it?
This makes complete sense. Electrons are not stupid. They will take the path of least resistance. Its less the amplifier "seeing" two loads as much as it is simply electrons taking the best path. This is a basic electronics principle.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
Seth=L said:
Why would silver wire, 20 awg, sound different? Is it because it is silver or because it is very thin?:D
form my exsperance it,s the silver.and if you believe it or not i heard a difference between 3-9,s and 4-9,s.i heard thing,s that i didnt know where thier.but always in the upper ranges.

Last edited:
dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
I got lost in your quotes but I think this is yours?

How will that 20ga silver cause bass to be lost?
How will that 6% conductivity advantage cause a phasing issue, and one that is audible?

the phasing wont be noticed {they move @light}but the bass does.it,s also "warmer"with copper.silver seems to give essing{sibance} prob,s

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
MDS said:
Many have repeated that phrase including myself but credit for it goes to the great debunker of all things snakeoil - mtrycrafts.
Sorry, I should of known better.:eek: He's opened my eyes to a few things and for that I say thanks Mtry.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Haoleb said:
Heres an idea, Lets keep beating a dead horse because we have nothing better to do. :rolleyes:

This makes complete sense. Electrons are not stupid. They will take the path of least resistance. Its less the amplifier "seeing" two loads as much as it is simply electrons taking the best path. This is a basic electronics principle.
The resistance of a cable would be completely negligible.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Seth=L said:
The resistance of a cable would be completely negligible.

Im not talking about the resistance of the cable.

The higher frequencies would see a high impedance on the cable going to the bass section of a bi-wired speaker. The opposite goes for the bass. Just like how robert harley had explained it in the book. Therefore, Just like he had also explained the seperate frequencies would take two seperate paths.

And ALSO like he had explained because the bass drivers would require more current than the other drivers the cable powering them would have a larger magnetic field around it which in theory could affect the high frequency cable due to induction. The same principle applies to not running your signal cables parallel to high voltage cables.

Perhaps before questioning and rolling your eyes at someone's quotes you should try to understand the science behind them.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Haoleb said:
The higher frequencies would see a high impedance on the cable going to the bass section of a bi-wired speaker. The opposite goes for the bass. Just like how robert harley had explained it in the book. Therefore, Just like he had also explained the seperate frequencies would take two seperate paths.
Haoleb said:
Not totally correct.
The voltage of that higher frequency is at the input terminal of the low section and vice verse at the high drivers.
AND, the slope of the crossover to each segment dictates how much current actually will be delivered to each driver. They are not brick filters, hence, you will get a pretty good amount of out of band currents in each section. It is that simple.

And ALSO like he had explained because the bass drivers would require more current than the other drivers the cable powering them would have a larger magnetic field around it which in theory could affect the high frequency cable due to induction.

Would he like to prove that this affects in any way the high frequency current? I'd like to see the numbers, thanks.

The same principle applies to not running your signal cables parallel to high voltage cables.

That 60Hz is somewhat a different issue, isn't it? that 60Hz is what would be coupled onto the signal cables, not other frequency. And, as far as speaker cables go, the high drivers slope would also control how much 60Hz would in fact be in the driver, period.

Perhaps before questioning and rolling your eyes at someone's quotes you should try to understand the science behind them.

Applies to you as well.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Haoleb said:
The problem with that 'science' is that each driver will 'see' the entire frequency range and its xover will then filter out what it can't deal with - the same exact thing that happens when you don't bi-wire.

Bi-wiring is absolutely pointless unless you use an active xover to filter out the frequencies BEFORE they get to the driver.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seth=L said:
There are useful things in that book, but then there is a lot of phooey in that book as well.:)

There may be; most likely there are. BUT, one needs to know which is snake oil and what is useful. If one knows, why buy and read the book?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

billy p said:
He's opened my eyes to a few things and for that I say thanks Mtry.:)

That's what its all about, greater knowledge with open eyes:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
mtrycrafts said:
There may be; most likely there are. BUT, one needs to know which is snake oil and what is useful. If one knows, why buy and read the book?
Got the book for free, plus I got a hug. I came out on top of the game.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis