Why Bi-wiring Makes No Sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Seth=L said:
I just thought this was interesting to read and to laugh at. Hope you enjoy it as much I have.
P.S. Sorry for the long post.:)

Best if you just donate that book to a recycling firm and forget about Harley.
This book was reviewed some time back in The Audio Critic by David Rich. I don't think I have to tell you what he thought of it:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

dave1490 said:
]
i find heavy copper is a better bass wire.and 20gaw silver wire sounds more crisp for tweeters.i thought about this but the 10%more condutivity of silver would seem to give a phaseing problem.if you use silver alone like i did you,ll notice a loss of bass.
I got lost in your quotes but I think this is yours?

How will that 20ga silver cause bass to be lost?
How will that 6% conductivity advantage cause a phasing issue, and one that is audible?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seth=L said:
20 awg is very thin wire, are you sure that isn't why the bass when down? It is sort of like a water hose. You try to put to much water into a small hose you get compression.

Compression in a water hose? You cannot compress water. You can increase the pressure by brute force. :D

I seriously doubt one will notice the minute level decrease in bass with that 20ga silver wire

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seth=L said:
What happens when you force to much water through a hose?:D

You also get a faster flow of water at the open end:D It will spray further.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
mtrycrafts said:
Best if you just donate that book to a recycling firm and forget about Harley.
This book was reviewed some time back in The Audio Critic by David Rich. I don't think I have to tell you what he thought of it:D
Hey Mtry,

I must confess my shame, I have that book. It drips snake oil from cover to cover. Well you know who is behind it: Stereovile;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, to all posts made by everyone since my last post.:D YES, YES, YES, YES!:D:D

The book makes perfect bathroom reading material, I find it very really comforting to know that someone so ignorant could sell a book. Good Lord, think of what I could do?:eek::D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

stratman said:
Hey Mtry,

I must confess my shame, I have that book. It drips snake oil from cover to cover. Well you know who is behind it: Stereovile;)

That is all right, you are forgiven. How else is one to learn about the snake peddlers? LOL. Got to know the opposition. :D

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
this whole world of wire nonsense is pretty silly. My speakers are bi-ampable but I haven't the provisions to do that.

They also apparently have silver internal wiring, that's probably good for something. Bragging maybe.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
I was reading this and it says within the text it’s the Bible.

I just hope he doesn’t show up here and strikes us all down with his wrath!:D

Robert Harley's The Complete Guide to High-End Audio has come to be knows the "Bible" for high-end audio enthusiasts. If you are interested in getting the most out of your system, this book is full of useful advice and tips for both beginning and experienced listeners alike.

Well being English I have say I have no idea who this (Robert Harley) is. I know who "Charlton Heston" is.

:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
He's a snake handler that works at Stereovile magazine.;)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I read a quote here on a similar thread? Bi wiring means BUY wire:p. Not sure but me things it was "Sheepstar":D.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
billy p said:
I read a quote here on a similar thread? Bi wiring means BUY wire:p. Not sure but me things it was "Sheepstar":D.
Look at his picture, he looks like a very content moron.:D Look, this has turned into a Robert Harley roast, hope he doesn't mind.:D I maybe I don't care. There are useful things in that book, but then there is a lot of phooey in that book as well.:)

Yes Billy, it is most definitely Buy-Wire, and if you look closely that isn't a dash it is the word "more" written very wide and short.:D

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
billy p said:
Pretty darn accurate too.

The "hard core" audiophile mind eludes my take on sound.

Preamp's with tone controls & eq's are bad because they dont keep the signal pure so instead of just adding a little response one way or the other they freak out & start looking for what wire or power cord has the best bass response,bi-wire, tri-wire,shotgun, cable lifters,contact enhancer, once wire nirvana is reached then they need anti resonence feet for all their gear, & they still end up with 8ft tall speakers out 15ft in the middle of the room.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
You also get a faster flow of water at the open end:D It will spray further.
I've figured it out. So, "it will spray further" means, in reference to audio, that the sound coming out of the speaker (end of the hose) will be louder compared to a speaker cable that is bigger and not so full of pressure.

I get it, so if I want louder speakers without having to run the risk of clipping my amplifier I should buy thinner cable which will create pressure and 'shoot' the sound out of the end resulting in an increase in db.

we should try and sell this concept to the snake oilers themselves. Maybe we should go directly to Robert Harley...who's with me???

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
So how much does this bible to Hi-Fi and snake oil cable thingy cost then and if so is there a free pdf version that I can look at.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Dolby CP-200 said:
So how much does this bible to Hi-Fi and snake oil cable thingy cost then and if so is there a free pdf version that I can look at.
I wouldnt even bother reading that book unless your eye's just need a work out,you'll just end up asleep mid read & drooling all over yourself.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
billy p said:
Many have repeated that phrase including myself but credit for it goes to the great debunker of all things snakeoil - mtrycrafts.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
highfihoney said:
I wouldnt even bother reading that book unless your eye's just need a work out,you'll just end up asleep mid read & drooling all over yourself.
Oh dear, that bad:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis