Why are people still buying CD players?

Do you still listen to physical CDs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

Admiral

Audiophyte
Just a quick newbie question here. I've read through this thread and it seems the only difference between a cd and an excellent lossless rip is the DAC? How much of a (audible) difference does a CD Player or discrete DAC make when compared to PC Onboard Audio or Android Phone or even a budget AVR.

Also, when connecting a HTPC to a receiver which DAC is being used? Is it the PC or the receiver?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just a quick newbie question here. I've read through this thread and it seems the only difference between a cd and an excellent lossless rip is the DAC? How much of a (audible) difference does a CD Player or discrete DAC make when compared to PC Onboard Audio or Android Phone or even a budget AVR.

Also, when connecting a HTPC to a receiver which DAC is being used? Is it the PC or the receiver?
I think DAC is a very mature technology and you won't hear a difference between the DAC of $500+ AVR and dedicated DAC.

So I would connect HTPC to the AVR via HDMI and use a media software that allows you to bitstream the file to the AVR so that the AVR's DACs can process the sound.

I have my favorite songs in ALAC format on my iPad and stream directly from the iPad to my Denon eliminating the "middleman" (CD player, HTPC) and using the Denon DAC.

I've compared the quality of this to Blu-ray and CDs, and I think there is no audible difference.

Last edited:
K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
When I saw this title in the audiophyte section, I thought it was going to lead to a discussion about sound quality of music downloaded from the internet. Is all music downloaded as lower quality MP3 files?

mtbdudex

mtbdudex

Enthusiast
btw, I have 400 CD's "stored" in a Sony 400 disc carousel, they've been there 4-5 years now not touched since I ripped them into iTunes.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I saw this title in the audiophyte section, I thought it was going to lead to a discussion about sound quality of music downloaded from the internet. Is all music downloaded as lower quality MP3 files?
No. There are plenty of lossless audio files downloaded.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
btw, I have 400 CD's "stored" in a Sony 400 disc carousel, they've been there 4-5 years now not touched since I ripped them into iTunes.
Yeah, all my CDs are boxed up and haven't been used in a while too. I stream music with my iPad 100% of the time now.

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
Does anyone know of a summary of which types of downloadable music is lossless and which type aren't?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis