Why are people still buying CD players?

Do you still listen to physical CDs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
So, how did this becomes another stoopid vinyl vs. CD thread?

I guess some people just love rice krispies with their music.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Interesting article as to why CD died.. Nothing to do with vinyl
Define died ? When a person dies, he/she does not breathe anymore, the heart does not pump anymore.
CD's are still manufactured and sold; granted sales have declined a whole lot but it is not dead.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Define died ? When a person dies, he/she does not breathe anymore, the heart does not pump anymore.
CD's are still manufactured and sold; granted sales have declined a whole lot but it is not dead.
Its not dead yet and perhaps it may never die....but it will be relegated to the same fate as vinyl.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So, how did this becomes another stoopid vinyl vs. CD thread?

I guess some people just love rice krispies with their music.
It always happens when proponents from one camp or the other decides the other has no merrit as a viable medium. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Collecting vinyl is like collecting stamps. Nothing wrong with it. :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It always happens when proponents from one camp or the other decides the other has no merrit as a viable medium. ;)
...buy vinyl wasn't even mentioned in the original discussion.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Sales of music have declined overall. Streaming and Vinyl are the only growing mediums I'm aware of.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Emotiva's high end CD player is only $400. Who the hell's selling a CD player for $3,500?!?!?!
Ahhmmm. I have a $5,000 cd player. It's an Esoteric SA-50. Is it better than a $3,500 player? Maybe, maybe not. I sure enjoy popping a disk in and listening.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ahhmmm. I have a $5,000 cd player. It's an Esoteric SA-50. Is it better than a $3,500 player? Maybe, maybe not. I sure enjoy popping a disk in and listening.
Sure costs a lot less than a car, motorcycle, boat, house. Just money, right? :)

Like Sheryl Crow says, if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad. ;) :D

I wouldn't buy a $1,000 Vinyl player for $1.00. But it's okay if people spend $5,000 for Vinyl players if that makes them happy. :)

I've owned a $4K CD player before too. I ended up selling it on eBay. But it's no different than buying anything else.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
I still like the idea of buying a real CD. I do it to support the artist and have a tangible item, I also like having a recording that is higher than 128mbs cd's are 1200ish? right? Truth be told though I will throw it on itunes and put it on my iphone and play stuff through that or play via itunes on apple TV.

This however has changed how I listen to music, in that i used to buy a cd and throw it in my car for a month and learn and love the whole CD and really get to know it. Now I may listen to a song but rarely listen to the whole CD it makes me want to go back to the old way but I now no longer have the attention span for it.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I personally love interacting with the media. Opening the disk tray, inserting the disk, and watching the tray close, or cleaning the phono needle and the whole process of getting the disk ready to listen. Yea it sure is easy to sit down and hit play on my Note 4 through the Sonos. It's all about the process for me. ;-)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I personally love interacting with the media. Opening the disk tray, inserting the disk, and watching the tray close, or cleaning the phono needle and the whole process of getting the disk ready to listen. Yea it sure is easy to sit down and hit play on my Note 4 through the Sonos. It's all about the process for me. ;-)
Oh now you've done made me want to upgrade my Note3 to the Note4. :eek: :D

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Oh now you've done made me want to upgrade my Note3 to the Note4. :eek: :D
Lol lol. Oh and it is soooo nice. For me it was a big change from the Galaxy S4 active. Never going back to a small screen phone.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lol lol. Oh and it is soooo nice. For me it was a big change from the Galaxy S4 active. Never going back to a small screen phone.
No. I'll wait next year for the Note5, which I predict will be 6.0" screen. ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I personally love interacting with the media. Opening the disk tray, inserting the disk, and watching the tray close, or cleaning the phono needle and the whole process of getting the disk ready to listen. Yea it sure is .....
I'm of the same ilk. I like the ritual as well and prefer to have the physical over the virtual.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You guys are all out of control. I don't care about the discs. I just care about the music. :D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I still have my Oppo player, but only use it for BD and Netflix. For music, it's almost entirely streamed from FLAC rips of all my CDs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis