What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Nice!

We all know the look of a McIntosh amp from 30 feet away. Congratulations!

Depending upon your source material being fed into that amp, you're probably getting something out of those Totem Forest speakers that you didn't know they had in 'em. :)

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Hey thanks! I picked it up used for a good deal. I couldn't buy one at regular price that's insane.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
logitech keyboard I spy. :) Got one myself. For Kodi? :)
Yeah, it's the K400, good spotting :).

Not Kodi or any other HTPC arrangement. All my media is on a laptop. Sometimes I hook it up to the AVR via HDMI and use the TV as a monitor.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Nice!

We all know the look of a McIntosh amp from 30 feet away. Congratulations!

Depending upon your source material being fed into that amp, you're probably getting something out of those Totem Forest speakers that you didn't know they had in 'em. :)
I think it sounds better. But it also sounded great with the 140 watts per channel through the Pioneer Elite. I turned it up to 0db and it was definitely a better signal. At 0db, it gets close to 200 Watts on the MC meter and this would have been pushing it hard with the pioneer. It sounds amazing. The theme music to The Pacific BD is ultra lush.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
My replacement Sierra 2 tweeter is here. I'll install it tomorrow the pair still be whole again.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to the AA Monitors in Direct mode to have my hearing readjust to 2.0 without room correction.

Looks like it'll be a while before the X4000 is fixed since I'm sending it to United Radio.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I know I posted this earlier, but it came in 8 days early, so I had to post a pic, this phone so far is AWESOME. Samsung S7 Edge, was hoping the color would be a little darker on the metal, but sill very cool

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Can't wait for my newest toy to show up so I can install it into the workbench!

Keithley 2105 Audio Analyzing Digital Multimeter. Features a full function 6 ½ Digital Multimeter (voltage, resistance, current, frequency, and distortion measurements [THD, Individual Harmonics, SINAD]).

Purchased used and calibrated, so there isn't another one available at the price I paid, but you can pick one up directly from the current Techtronix/Keithley catalog if you have $US 4500.00 to spare ...

Keithley 2105 THD DMM.jpg

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Import box sets have been my thing lately. Most are less than 50.00 and have a ton of stuff I may have never tried before. But at 1.00 to 2.00 bucks a disc it's worth a shot. Plus there is a ton of stuff I have always wanted. I have a few duplicates but not many.

[snip ...]
Some nice collections there, covering a lot of musical bases at a very reasonable price. Good work.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Can't wait for my newest toy to show up so I can install it into the workbench!

Keithley 2105 Audio Analyzing Digital Multimeter. Features a full function 6 ½ Digital Multimeter (voltage, resistance, current, frequency, and distortion measurements [THD, Individual Harmonics, SINAD]).

Purchased used and calibrated, so there isn't another one available at the price I paid, but you can pick one up directly from the current Techtronix/Keithley catalog if you have $US 4500.00 to spare ...

View attachment 17733
Nice!

I'll send you some amps to measure :D

Just kidding.

Yeah, nothing like adding a new tool to the bench.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I know I posted this earlier, but it came in 8 days early, so I had to post a pic, this phone so far is AWESOME. Samsung S7 Edge, was hoping the color would be a little darker on the metal, but sill very cool

Will be getting mine soon too. My S6 Edge is still broken...and fully functional.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Nice!

I'll send you some amps to measure :D

Just kidding.

Yeah, nothing like adding a new tool to the bench.
Any and all Amps welcome ;-)

Funds are tight so projects move at a snail's pace, but will be putting it to work over the next few months.

First project in the lineup is a monoblock version of the Modulus-86 (balanced input, 40w @ 8ohms). I have the PCBs (3 of them) in hand, need enclosure ($60), torroid transformer ($50) the basic BoM of about $120, plus a few $ more for component upgrades in the signal path (maybe $50 worth). Ironically, the Distortion profile + noise of the Modulus-86 is too low to be measurable with the Keithley, but it will still be handy during the build.

I can afford to throw about $100 a month at it, so will be a little while before it's done, but looking forward to a fun build.

For the workbench, I need a decent bench Power Supply and a good Function Generator but that's about all. I have the patience to wait for the right deal to flesh out the gear list though.

I now have this beautiful bench DMM, a Tek 'scope, Hakko soldering gear, LCR meter, Fluke 87-5 DMM, a few other cheap DMMs (can't have too many, actually), Variac, all the probes and test leads, Safety Glasses etc

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Any and all Amps welcome ;-)

Funds are tight so projects move at a snail's pace, but will be putting it to work over the next few months.

First project in the lineup is a monoblock version of the Modulus-86 (balanced input, 40w @ 8ohms). I have the PCBs (3 of them) in hand, need enclosure ($60), torroid transformer ($50) the basic BoM of about $120, plus a few $ more for component upgrades in the signal path (maybe $50 worth). Ironically, the Distortion profile + noise of the Modulus-86 is too low to be measurable with the Keithley, but it will still be handy during the build.

I can afford to throw about $100 a month at it, so will be a little while before it's done, but looking forward to a fun build.

For the workbench, I need a decent bench Power Supply and a good Function Generator but that's about all. I have the patience to wait for the right deal to flesh out the gear list though.

I now have this beautiful bench DMM, a Tek 'scope, Hakko soldering gear, LCR meter, Fluke 87-5 DMM, a few other cheap DMMs (can't have too many, actually), Variac, all the probes and test leads, Safety Glasses etc
Yeah, that's pretty nice. The only thing that I don't have is a Variac. I don't own a distortion analyzer either, but I currently have one in my possession that belongs to my friend (I let him borrow my DIY Paia Fatman Synth).

Keep an eye out on ebay etc for the function generator and the bench supply. I bought a good clean supply from an AH member quite a while ago for $60 delivered. And, I paid $50 for my function generator off ebay. I also bought a nice Tek scope off Ebay for a little less than $350.

I'm sure you know this, but the key is patience! I was patient on finding my electronics bench gear, and I paid good prices for good equipment. If I were in a situation where I "need it now, can't wait", I would have easily paid a lot more $ than I did.

And, I mentioned this before, but I am REALLY interested in your Modulus build! The specs on that amp are just silly good on paper, and the guy seems to know a lot about the field.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My question: What is that?
That would be a Chief projector mount. Recommended by @BMXTRIX

I have yet to find a mount that is better than the Chief. The Peerless PRG-UNV mount really is a second best, and is a fair bit less.

I haven't seen anyone make anything else that comes in around where you are talking about. They are super cheap, or they are priced for what they are worth. You can shop eBay and pick up some good deals.

I mean, 12" to 18" of drop - that's an adjustable column. Why not go to Home Depot and get a column the exact length you need for your setup? That way it is perfect, and it is rigid and it will last forever. From Home Depot - about $15 or so for a proper 1.5" pipe.

A 1.5" plumbing flange connected to your ceiling for the ceiling connection point. Not a ton of cash and available at Home Depot as well.

That just leaves the mount.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHIEF-RPAMAUW-Elite-Projector-Mount-WHITE-New-in-Box-/191815813284?hash=item2ca91d08a4:g:JIMAAOSwWTRW07SZ

That one is brand new, on auction, starting under $100. It's the best on the market.

This one is a good solid product, but not as good as the Elite mount, but it may go for $50 or less...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPAU-Universal-Inverted-Projector-Ceiling-Mount-Black-Steel-50lbs-Max-/231855806735?hash=item35fbaed90f:g:ieIAAOSwPc9Wzdfs
And, it has the best universal mounting arms you will ever come across.

You could get this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMA735-RPA-Custom-Elite-Projector-Mount-89532d10-/391393140821?hash=item5b20d96055:g:LaAAAOSwf-VWYJow

and pair it with this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cheif-Universal-Projector-Mount-/141912618909?hash=item210aa6b79d:g:jbkAAOSwezVWuTCS

So, for around $100 you end up with a complete RPMAU Elite Mount, in black.

Over the years I have picked up a number of Chief Elite projector mounts from eBay and I typically end up paying about 80 bucks or so for it. So, you can get the absolute best, and you don't have to shell out $200+ to get there.

Yes, the ceiling plate and the drop pole are extras, but you get exactly what you need instead of a one-size-doesn't-fit-all solution. And what you get will be rock solid.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, that's pretty nice. The only thing that I don't have is a Variac. I don't own a distortion analyzer either, but I currently have one in my possession that belongs to my friend (I let him borrow my DIY Paia Fatman Synth).

Keep an eye out on ebay etc for the function generator and the bench supply. I bought a good clean supply from an AH member quite a while ago for $60 delivered. And, I paid $50 for my function generator off ebay. I also bought a nice Tek scope off Ebay for a little less than $350.

I'm sure you know this, but the key is patience! I was patient on finding my electronics bench gear, and I paid good prices for good equipment. If I were in a situation where I "need it now, can't wait", I would have easily paid a lot more $ than I did.

And, I mentioned this before, but I am REALLY interested in your Modulus build! The specs on that amp are just silly good on paper, and the guy seems to know a lot about the field.
Yes, it's all about patience. I'm just waiting for the right combination of availability and price to converge, but on my short list of sources is a place you may not be familiar with ... they are a bunch of new age nutbars, but know their classic electronics ... check it out ... Sphere Research Corporation (Vancouver, BC, Canada). They also have a steady supply of take-offs and bulk buy electronics, always handy for the parts bin. Quality is generally above average (some of their sources are Military and AeroSpace manufacturers).

http://www.sphere.bc.ca

They have a steady stream of Lambda power supplies coming in and out of stock which I hope to buy at some point, plus some of the more common H-P and others.Their stuff is surplus, they can calibrate, and comes from labs all over North America. Prices for Test Equipment are far from Give-away but fall into the "fair" category, usually.

I have a Leader Function Generator but it's not working properly. A $60 eBay special from about 6 years ago. The documentation on gear so old is sparse, even from Leader, so I have it on my list.

What I like most about Chris' designs are his attention to layout and grounding. He clearly shows how you can improve a given design's specifications many-fold by not changing a single component but instead paying attention to the details. There is much to learn from his approach.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis