What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
NERD ALERT: I have a Black Widow Ultimate Keyboard which was I thought was starting to fail, until I realized it was a software issue. In the Mean time I got this and it is a great gaming keyboard, but so so for every day typing. Mechanical Keyboards are so NICE. Logitech G910. It also came with a Download Game "The Division" which comes out 1st week in March. So with the keyboard $139.00- Free Game -50 it works out to a $90 investment.

Full Color LED Selectable Lights Not seen in this picture :(

While I didn't go crazy with Color (full RGB Spectrum) I just wanted to set up the Macro and Gaming keys. By far the best key response of any keyboard I have used, though the keys are a little funky.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Time came to upgrade the lowly Audio-Technica AT-LP60 turntable that I was afraid to use for fear it would do more damage to my LP's than give listening pleasure. Last weekend when I bought the PB2000 for my son, I listened briefly to a red Pro-Ject RPM1 that was hooked up to a Bellari phono amp and some unknown power amp (I think an NAD 3020) and out to a pair of Racing Red LS50's. It definitely caught my attention because of the small footprint and attractive price.

Yesterday I bought a black one. It came with a Sumiko Pearl cartridge, and I bought a "get me started" Pro-Ject Phono Box MM phono amplifier. A little shifting of my R200c center and Bluesound Vault and it just fits on the only place I could possibly put it. Wow. What a difference!

I did make on small upgrade. The RPM1 comes with 3 little stamped steel disks about 12mm diameter with a spot dimple on one side, to set the unit's 3 pointed base. Presumably to protect a softer wood finish from the pointed feet, they are useless on the black glass top I have. I dug out the unused floor protecting disks from my R500 speakers. Those are bigger and have a felt pad bottom. Perfect!

The only other thing I will need to do is hit the shop and make an acrylic dust cover. The one Pro-Ject sells is far bigger than it needs to be and wouldn't fit. Custom piece coming up.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Update: The tweeter I sent in was damaged when I dropped the speaker and not repairable. Dave@Ascend let me have the replacement at significant discount and it is ordered.

Suspecting I'd have a functional AVR sooner than the replacement tweeter, I bought a pair of AA speakers in January. They have been sitting unopened since my AVR is still not fixed :mad:. In hindsight, I should have picked up a stand-in AVR the moment I decided to buy the AA's. This weekend I'm going to find a $50-100 Craigslist stand in. Listening to music through the TV speakers is becoming painful. Alarmingly, I thought the car stereo sounded good the other day!
The continuation of this story...

A true Audioholic will blow the budget 3x over and get something way overkill for the need. Staying true to my brothers I have acquired a full blown AVR from BB when a pawn store $20 POS would have sufficed.

The receiver was open box (nothing missing or damaged) for $300 along with, BRs - Book of Eli, Birdman, CDs - Queens of the Stone Age, Five Finger Death Punch, and 6Pack - Stone IPA. There is no one in the building, I need to hook everything up pronto and get my music fix.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You are my hero...or justification. Since my mom passed in September of last year I've spent far more than 3x what was needed, because nothing was really needed. It was, however, wanted. And those are the only two real reasons anyone buys anything. You either want it or need it, and in either case few people buy the perfect balance between the need and want. Me, I gotta get the most I can for the money in my pocket at the time.

And to think it all started then with "I got a couple bucks and none of my speakers were even made in the same decade." Mains in 1989, rears in 1996, center & sub in 2005.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
And, we're up and running. I'll do review of the AVR and AA Monitors with more pics. For now, beer-o-clock and head-bang-o-clock :D.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
just bought a set of RBH EP1 earphones, vastly superior to Apple's earbuds.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Had to get some new (and old mix) vinyl to play on my new turntable.

BTW, I was 9 years old when The Jimi Hendrix Experience played Clark University in Worcester MA, less than a mile from where I lived. If I only knew then what I know now...

A current friend of mine was there, and has spent his life in the music business. He books acts for several sea cruise lines.

I don't know how widespread distribution of that album might be, this a current pressing. It's labeled "Copyright 2010 Experience Hendrix LLC under license to Sony Music Entertainment/ Distributed by Sony Music Entertainment."

Last edited:
L

Latent

Full Audioholic
20160222_220610_resized.jpg

Just got some second hand Paradigm Monitor 9 v4's to replace my old front speakers. Got them because they match my old Mini-Monitor v3 rears. Haven't had a chance to listen to them properly yet though. Next project is to look at options to build a toddler proof AV cabinet over the unused fireplace.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
If you can make ANYTHING "toddler proof", patent it! :D

Congrats on the find, great speaker for (presumably) a great price.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
If you can make ANYTHING "toddler proof", patent it! :D
Yeah well my current 'patent pending' design is to use 18mm(3/4") MDF to make a cabinet with WxHxD of 1800x600x400mm (6'x2'x1.33') with 3x3 internal configuration with 600x200mm (2'x8") spaces for equipment or DVD's etc. The three shelves in the center will have an open back that goes into the 2' deep empty fireplace for additional depth for AVR and cables. Then 3 clear acrylic (plexiglass) doors on pivot hinges with cam locks to keep them closed and prying young hands out.

Bit worried about IR not getting in from anything but direct angles so I may have to resurrect the old RF harmony remote that the cat chewed all the RF emitter cables on.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Went to a record store and bough this new on 180gm vinyl with a download coupon for $21.00

and this used for $9.00

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I saw gatemouth brown live in a club here in Denver a couple years before he passed. Quality blues man!
Cheers, Mac

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was really bored with my IPhone, so I decided I needed a change. The promo with the Free VR headset 6 games and 1 year of paid Netflix made it a no brainer. Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge in Titanium, It arrives at my office on March 8th!! Some people have addictions to drugs, alcohol, gambling...me it's new tech toys!!:rolleyes:

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge
Let me know how you like it. Since I went "smart", I've always had an iPhone. Only replace it when I have to. Looks like the new ones have a touch screen where different levels of pressure give you different results. Sounds cool, but my hands shake. I'm lucky to hit the right key, much less vary the amount of pressure.

If Apple gets fancy w/ their touch screen, I may need to change. So I'm interested what you think about the Galaxy.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Let me know how you like it. Since I went "smart", I've always had an iPhone. Only replace it when I have to. Looks like the new ones have a touch screen where different levels of pressure give you different results. Sounds cool, but my hands shake. I'm lucky to hit the right key, much less vary the amount of pressure.

If Apple gets fancy w/ their touch screen, I may need to change. So I'm interested what you think about the Galaxy.

My hands don't shake, and even then I never could get the pressure sensitive IPhone 6S Plus to work right for me. It was always a challenge to get it to copy/paste. It did work well for emails. Don't get me wrong, the IPhone 6S is a solid device, but I like the customization of androids ecosystem a lot better.

Reasons I switched back to android:
1. I appreciate the haptic feedback on keyboard, I missed that feature leaving my note 4
2. The keyboard in general was better laid out and their are options to customize it further
3. I prefer the SAMOLED screens, even going back to my old Note 4, I noticed a difference.
4. Built in wireless charging - the S6 and S7 have it built in to the phone
5. The form factor is going to be a bit smaller with same size screen 5.5

What I will miss:
1. Apple App Store is still the easiest to navigate
2. The physical switch to mute your phone to vibrate
3. The motion camera thing, it is actually pretty cool.
4. Fingerprint scanner works the best of any phone, exception of the new nexus 6p which also works great

I like Apple, I want people to buy Apple Iphones. I have a lot of Apple Stock, but they really need to bring something new to the IPhone 7. By that time it releases, my worksphone will be due for an upgrade and maybe I will go use it for my work phone.

I like the galaxy, I have owned the Note 4 and I am currently using it now. I find I seldom use the pen, so If I were you I would look a the Galaxy 7 or even 6 for that matter. I would not suggest the edge for the reasons you state.

If you haven't used Android before, it might be a difficult, and frustrating, learning curve in the beginning, but I would definitely consider the Galaxy series as one to consider.

FOR AUDIOPHILES, of which I think a few of them are on this site, you might also to seriously consider the LG G5, really cool device and you can upgrade the DAC with it's modular design

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-g5/

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis