What are your picks on best loudspeakers ever made?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So I guess BMW and Mercedes make crappy cars now also since they market their products.
This thread is actually about audio, cars, food, and alcohol. :)

I do think Mercedes and BMW make crappy cars in terms of overall reliability compared to Lexus. But Mercedes & BMW cars may have the advantage in speeding around a corner and acceleration. :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Ah, the inexorable discussion of audio, cars, food, and alcohol. :)

I do think Mercedes and BMW make crappy cars in terms of overall reliability compared to Lexus. But Mercedes & BMW cars may have the advantage in speeding around a corner and acceleration. :)
i get in enough trouble in my Lexus IS350F. Florida is overrun with cops handing out speeding tickets taking any remote fun away of driving a sports car :mad:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
i get in enough trouble in my Lexus IS350F. Florida is overrun with cops handing out speeding tickets taking any remote fun away of driving a sports car :mad:
Oh, yeah, cops do love new shinny speedy cars. They'll probably pull you over for going 1 MPH above speed limit. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, even if I were a billionaire, I would still get five Focal Utopia towers, two Lexus LX 570, and zero beers. :)

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

You guys don't know anything about crappy BMW reliability. I have a 1973 2002 that was designed to rust and bust. Great sound system, though.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Those MBL 101s introduce a couple interesting points.
1) Omni-directional sound seems like a major difference between most speakers and live. Whether it's a guy sitting in a chair playing an accoustic guitar or the percussion and strings in an orchestra. (Not so much winds, brass or voice.)
2) The ability to time-delay the speakers is curious. In an orchestra, I suppose there are millisecond delays of the sound from various instruments hitting your ear. Rather than setting all speakers to sound like they're equidistant from you, (like Audyssey), it might be fun to play with slight delays.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Those MBL 101s introduce a couple interesting points.
1) Omni-directional sound seems like a major difference between most speakers and live. Whether it's a guy sitting in a chair playing an accoustic guitar or the percussion and strings in an orchestra. (Not so much winds, brass or voice.)
2) The ability to time-delay the speakers is curious. In an orchestra, I suppose there are millisecond delays of the sound from various instruments hitting your ear. Rather than setting all speakers to sound like they're equidistant from you, (like Audyssey), it might be fun to play with slight delays.
I think it's just another case of theory vs reality. :)

Or is it theory of relativity? :eek:

The space time delay is just related to difference in gravitational fields and velocity. :eek:

Or just all in our head. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You guys don't know anything about crappy BMW reliability. I have a 1973 2002 that was designed to rust and bust. Great sound system, though.
Much like the crap that the Big Three put out there at that time. It was a dismal time for car quality. The 2002 was a hoot to drive hard with excellent handling and reflexes.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I'll take a good rear wheel drive car any day over front wheel drive in the fun to drive to quotient.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'll take a good rear wheel drive car any day over front wheel drive in the fun to drive to quotient.
I was not fun at all driving my rear wheel drive Lexus LS400 in the snow, ice, or rain back when I owned the car about 20 years ago. :eek:

But when it comes to transportation, I'm more interested in safety and reliability than fun. ;)

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
I greatly enjoyed the YG Acoustics Hailey at CES. I'm still waiting to find out which car they're putting them into.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Much like the crap that the Big Three put out there at that time. It was a dismal time for car quality. The 2002 was a hoot to drive hard with excellent handling and reflexes.
Wanna buy mine? The alternative at the time was a Chevy Vega. $1500 cheaper and came pre-rusted and pre-busted.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I greatly enjoyed the YG Acoustics Hailey at CES. I'm still waiting to find out which car they're putting them into.
Hey, they might fit nicely in an RV. :)

Just bolt them down to the RV floor. ;)

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Oh, that's a given, along with sound-treated ceiling and sides. :)
Especially the windshield - it needs to be draped in roxul. That will give the driver all the imaging he/she needs. I'll bet the horn from the oncoming 18-wheeler will sound more realistic than ever :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis