What are your picks on best loudspeakers ever made?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I often get the question “What are the best speakers in the World?” from fellow Audioholics and/or from family or friends. I typically tell them that it really depends on the situation. Of course, people that don’t know audio are often surprised when I DON’T tell them Bose is the best. I usually retort that “best” and “most popular” are often not synonymous, and a few analogies outside of audio often help them to understand the lack of relation such as: Beer:Budweiser, Pizza: Dominos and Burgers:McDonalds, etc.

I don’t like to be boxed into a corner of declaring an absolute best, even when the type of speaker and the application are known. That said, I’ve come up with a list of very notable designs for each category type.

Best Loudspeakers Ever Made

How do you like our selections? Do you have alternatives? Please list them and show pics!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I only believe in "best FIT" for the individual.

In terms of overall pure sound quality, the possibilities are endless because you could always add subwoofers to any speaker and because everyone simply has different preferences.

Some people must have that Martin Logan or Magnepan sound, while others hate it.

Some people prefer traditional direct radiating box speakers, while others hate it.

Asking for the absolute best speaker is almost like asking for the absolute best food. :D

So "best" needs to be qualified by certain parameters.

I mean honestly, even if I were a millionaire, I would still buy the RBH SX-8300 (MSRP $5K) over the Revel Salon2, KEF 207/2, B&W 800D2, etc. :D

However, if money is no object, I think the best speaker in the world is the Focal Grand Utopia III EM because I can actively bi-amp the built-in 16" subwoofer with external amps like I can do with the RBH towers.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I like those selections a lot, even if I'm not sure they're my own personal selections. I may be inclined tk swap the Martin Logans (which I haven't heard anyways) out with some Soundlabs. I do have a strong idea in my mind of what I think will make an incredible speaker that falls right between the Satus Acoustics and the JBL M2, but I'm still working on officially finishing off the Shanks before I get to that.

FWIW I think that my Philharmonics and Shanks sound as great as any other speakers I have heard, even if they do have some tradeoffs that even more money can't quite solve. Tradeoffs which usually correspond to source material.

"Best" speaker is thus pretty tough to define. But it's easy to say that if a speaker doesn't quite satisfy some measurable criteria, it isn't quite in the running, even if those measurable criteria are insufficient for final selection.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If I had the money to spend on speakers like ATDG does :rolleyes:, I would be probably hard pressed not to buy something from Salk, SS8's would be on the very short list.
Gene had listed many great speakers, but SS8 are the best ones I had heard , not the most expensive, just most pleasing to me.
I have heard to 100k MAXX speakers from Wilson and was not impressed, nor my friend who was also there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I had the money to spend on speakers like ATDG does :rolleyes:, I would be probably hard pressed not to buy something from Salk, SS8's would be on the very short list.
Gene had listed many great speakers, but SS8 are the best ones I had heard , not the most expensive, just most pleasing to me.
I have heard to 100k MAXX speakers from Wilson and was not impressed, nor my friend who was also there.
Not impressed with the SQ because they were $100K? Would you be impressed with the SQ if they were $5K? :D

I have no doubt the Salk speakers sound as good as any great speaker in terms of treble, midrange, imaging, soundstage. But many speakers equal that IMO.

What sets any speaker apart?

I think being able to change the bass output from your tower speakers using your iPad is pretty cool. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wilson maxx for 5k? Hell yeah, id just buy them for resale value :)
The audition was quite a long time ago, 6 years or so details are a bit vague.
I do remember the pink Floyd money sounded a bit hash and not pleasant. In fact i liked 25k watt puppies a bit more.
How's the iPad app different from using avr's iPad app to adjust the sound?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How's the iPad app different from using avr's iPad app to adjust the sound?
Yes, I mean using the iPad Denon AVR app to adjust the subwoofer speaker channel levels.

You can only do this if you can ACTIVELY bi-amp the bass of the tower, which you cannot do with the Salk tower and most towers.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
You can only do this if you can actively bi-amp the bass of the tower, which you cannot do with the Salk tower and most towers.
Jim can install a second set of posts, and doesn't charge much for the upgrade. But it is not standard.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Jim can install a second set of posts, and doesn't charge much for the upgrade. But it is not standard.
Does the 2nd set of posts make it so that you can ACTIVELY bi-amp the bass?

Most speakers are bi-wire and tri-wire capable, but it's no good if you cannot ACTIVELY bi-amp.

Adding a 2nd set of posts usually means you can PASSIVELY bi-amp it.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I only believe in "best FIT" for the individual.

In terms of overall pure sound quality, the possibilities are endless because you could always add subwoofers to any speaker and because everyone simply has different preferences.

Some people must have that Martin Logan or Magnepan sound, while others hate it.

Some people prefer traditional direct radiating box speakers, while others hate it.

Asking for the absolute best speaker is almost like asking for the absolute best food. :D

So "best" needs to be qualified by certain parameters.

I mean honestly, even if I were a millionaire, I would still buy the RBH SX-8300 (MSRP $5K) over the Revel Salon2, KEF 207/2, B&W 800D2, etc. :D

However, if money is no object, I think the best speaker in the world is the Focal Grand Utopia III EM because I can actively bi-amp the built-in 16" subwoofer with external amps like I can do with the RBH towers.

Completely agree on the High end, I heard the Grand Utopia's at some show in Rosemont, IL and would put that at the top of the list.

In my price range (5k List) I am going with the ones I own in the Triton 1s. Big Surprise, there :) Treble through Bass the imaging, detail and clarity continue to impress me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Completely agree on the High end, I heard the Grand Utopia's at some show in Rosemont, IL and would put that at the top of the list.

In my price range (5k List) I am going with the ones I own in the Triton 1s. Big Surprise, there :) Treble through Bass the imaging, detail and clarity continue to impress me.
I guess you and I just love speakers that have great treble, midrange, and ACTIVE bi-amp bass - Grand Utopia, Triton 1, RBH towers, etc.. :D

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Does the 2nd set of posts make it so that you can ACTIVELY bi-amp the bass?

Most speakers are bi-wire and tri-wire capable, but it's no good if you cannot ACTIVELY bi-amp.

Adding a 2nd set of posts usually means you can PASSIVELY bi-amp it.
You are correct, I read too quickly. It's passive bi-amping.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I heard two speakers in my past that gave me goose bumps, the original Energy 22s and Mirage SM-3. They had holographic imaging, tight deep bass, lifelike midst and accurate treble that did not get strident at high output levels.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
What I personally have heard Genelec 1038B are best for sound and you don't need to rob a bank to buy them either. For speakers I haven't heard those MartinLogan Neolith's look really good and I possibly would be looking to get them if money wasn't issue.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Does hansen fill their speakers with lead ??? 160lbs for bookshelf and 780lbs for towers! :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does hansen fill their speakers with lead ??? 160lbs for bookshelf and 780lbs for towers! :eek:
Well, they charge by the pound so it behooves them to pack those speakers with as much weight as possible. :D

What's disappointing is that it comes with a single set of binding posts so people can't bi-wire and tri-wire if they have the urge. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, they charge by the pound so it behooves them to pack those speakers with as much weight as possible. :D

What's disappointing is that it comes with a single set of binding posts so people can't bi-wire and tri-wire if they have the urge. :D
No cabinet vibrations on these puppies.. and some urges are better left alone :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis