Upcoming Audioholics Reviews!

sudyke

sudyke

Audioholic Intern
Pioneer

I have looked at so many sites through the internet, but I haven't found a lot on Pioneer recievers. Can you write a review on perhaps the VSX-D915? I can sell my 814 here (in Hungary) and buy a 915 in Austria for the same price!!! But I don't know if it will be worth the time! I think this site lacks reviews on Pioneer stuff. Or only the entry level Pios?

THX!

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Vsx-9300tx

I think it would be great if you did a review on the Pioneer VSX-9300TX and really cleared it up once and for all that it shares it's innards with the VSX-56TXi(just minus the i.link). At a price of $800 shipped from a Pioneer authorized retailer that has to be a bargain. Heck, just before the local Ultimate Electronics shut it's doors, the 56TXi was still going for over $1100 with i-link being the only apparent advantage over the 9300TX I think that puts it in perspective.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
How about a "power tower" shoot out? (Rocket RS1K, Polk LSi25, Aperion 533-pt, Gallo Ref.3 etc etc etc).

inmypjs

inmypjs

Junior Audioholic
Has this Gallo Acoustics Mod II speakers been reviewed yet?

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=62

I would assume that it will not be as good as their Due, but the new copper finish is awesome!

Also it would be nice to have a review of the new Intimus 632-LR Bookshelf Speaker and Intimus 633-T Tower Speaker from Aperion Audio which currently has the "HD-X3 technology that actually increases sound output and draws about half the power of it’s DiAural predecessor".

Last edited:
inmypjs

inmypjs

Junior Audioholic
JB714 said:
What about Rotel - how do they match up to Denon and Yamaha
Yeah, I also want them matched up against Arcam, NAD, and Harman-Kardon gears.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Power conditioners and if they really make any measurable difference.

Monster
Richard Grey
Belkin

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Sorry if this has been done already but did you guys ever get a review of the Marantz receiver completed? I know you guys have had it for a while and that's the only reason I'm asking. Also I like the powered tower review Idea, and what ever happened to some PSB reviews. Come on you lazy buggers, take that staff of thousands and put them to work, lol. ;) You guys know I'm kidding, I love the site and all of you guys do a great job IMO, I'm just listing what I'd like to read about.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Unfortunately Marantz shipped us a dead receiver. We are still waiting on another unit. In the meantime Clint has a new Sony ES receiver he is working on reviewing.

We will hook up with PSB folk at CES and arrange for product reviews. Your gonna see a whole lot more loudspeaker reviews next year headed up by Mark Sanfilipo. So stay tuned....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Any word on upcoming Energy reviews? There was a Mirage subwoofer with the Mirage omnisatv2 FS. It said it would have its own review. Coming up anytime soon?

Also, would you be getting any Veritas I stuff from Energy?

SheepStar

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
I'll second reviews on rotel specifically the rsx1056.Also has anyone conidered reviewing the Martin Logan subs like the Grotto.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
gene said:
Unfortunately Marantz shipped us a dead receiver. We are still waiting on another unit. In the meantime Clint has a new Sony ES receiver he is working on reviewing.....
thats horrible luck! on your review you can write ...

20-20k freq. DEAD
watts 1ch DEAD
watts 2ch DEAD

music DEAD
movies DEAD

I assume they sent it sealed in box? (why they werent able to test it BEFORE sending to a reviewer)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My #1 vote is for reviewing "bang for the buck" speaker brands like Athena and BIC. ( F2's vs the 64's & 84's)

I would also like to see Polk monitor (all the Polks for that matter)and Paradigm monitor and Definitive Tecnology.

I like the shootout format.(I know it is probably a logistical nightmare)

Towers would be best. (for me) Full 5.1 Reviews with their sub and a sub of your chioce would be great.

Anything you can do is always apreciated!:)

BTW its also very nice when Audioholics explains to its forum members the hows and whys of not being able to do a reveiw of a particular product. Knowing why a popular product that gets brought up frequently in the forums isn't being reveiwed makes me feel more confident that Audioholics is preforming a service and not just here to collect advertising dollars.:cool:

Thank you for all you are doing,
SBF1

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I would also like to see Polk monitor (all the Polks for that matter)and Paradigm monitor and Definitive Tecnology.
Some of the brands you mention like Definitive Technology shy away from reviews online, especially by us since we measure products and tend to be more critical than others. Polk seems to place more emphasis on reviews in print and/or CNET though we haven't actively pursued them for reviews as of yet. We have found too many other appealing products to go after first.

As for Paradigm, Mark Aling (their Marketing Manager) flat out denied us any product reviews and we have a whole thread about this. We noticed a pattern with that company in that they seem to only submit products for review in the magazines they advertise in. Kinda strange since we operate opposite in that we don't accept advertising from companies until we can verify they make legitimately good products.

See: Status Updates on Paradigm Reviews

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
gene said:
...We noticed a pattern with that company in that they seem to only submit products for review in the magazines they advertise in.
It's quite simple really, by paying for advertising, they can dictate what is being written about them, because the ad dollar$ are tied to the "favourable" reviews.

IMHO, this is probably the result of their eroding market share and they are taking a defensive approach. I can think of another company ( I won't name names ;) ) who focuses heavily on advertising without any objective peer reviews.

Talk about sad.

Don't worry Gene, sounds to me like Paradigm Marketing is in for a rude awakening, the internet is changing the shopping rules, customers are armed with alot more information outside of what manufacturers would like to spoon feed their customers.

Once their market share starts slipping into oblivion, they'll be knocking on your door (or similar online review site)

Patience is what is required at this point. ;)

Keep up the good work!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
gene said:
Some of the brands you mention like Definitive Technology shy away from reviews online, especially by us since we measure products and tend to be more critical than others. Polk seems to place more emphasis on reviews in print and/or CNET though we haven't actively pursued them for reviews as of yet. We have found too many other appealing products to go after first.

As for Paradigm, Mark Aling (their Marketing Manager) flat out denied us any product reviews and we have a whole thread about this. We noticed a pattern with that company in that they seem to only submit products for review in the magazines they advertise in. Kinda strange since we operate opposite in that we don't accept advertising from companies until we can verify they make legitimately good products.

See: Status Updates on Paradigm Reviews
Thank you Gene.

SBF1

L

listener

Audiophyte
I'm always looking for reviews on subs, which can be difficult to integrate effectively with some speakers and room combinations. Do the newer digital processing subs like Velodyne have a real advantage in this regard?

And in receivers, for those ready to move beyond the Denon/Yamaha level - what's in the field besides Rotel, what incremental improvements do you get, and what drawbacks, when you move away from high-volume consumer brands? These guys tend to take longer to integrate new features like HDMI, etc.

Also power sources like Monster, audio purists like Linn say not to use them, but mainstream guys say they do help.

These are a few areas where reviews would be appreciated.

D

dlorde

Audioholic Intern
listener said:
Also power sources like Monster, audio purists like Linn say not to use them, but mainstream guys say they do help.
Most Linn kit now uses switched-mode power supplies, which AIUI, effectively reconstruct the supply, so dirty power isn't an issue for them... I'm sure someone will be along to put me right if I've got this wrong ;-)

R

RavnosCC

Enthusiast
Following up on the Denon 1910 DVD

guess88 said:
bah.. screw the 2910... review the 1910 for the ulimate budget upscaler DVD. I'd love to see a shootout of the 1910, pan s97, lg hd810?, and just a good 480p player in the same price range.
I second the 1910 review, perhaps a few Denon's could be compared?

T

tparmer

Audioholic Intern
have read many "print " reviews on JM Lab Chorus S line (which I purchased this summer). I am very curious to see how these would review per your criteria and ear-any chance? Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis