Audioholics $3,500 2.1CH Recommended System w Upgrade to Atmos

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There are innumerable combinations of equipment that one could choose and it can be a very daunting task for anyone to sift through the options and put together a $3,500 well rounded system. So here is our picks for a $3,500 2.1 system.

The purpose of this system is to start with a good base for 2.1 with an upgrade path to Spatial Audio music and Dolby Atmos movie watching.

3500-thumb.jpg

What do you think of our $3,500 2.1 system? What would you change? Please share in our discussion link below.
Read: $3,500 2.1CH Recommended System
We would like to thank our affiliate Dreamedia AV for helping us put this system together and sponsoring this article.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There are innumerable combinations of equipment that one could choose and it can be a very daunting task for anyone to sift through the options and put together a $3,500 well rounded system. So here is our picks for a $3,500 2.1 system.

The purpose of this system is to start with a good base for 2.1 with an upgrade path to Spatial Audio music and Dolby Atmos movie watching.

View attachment 67490
What do you think of our $3,500 2.1 system? What would you change? Please share in our discussion link below.
Read: $3,500 2.1CH Recommended System
We would like to thank our affiliate Dreamedia AV for helping us put this system together and sponsoring this article.
I would not be spending $88.00 for a couple pf speaker cables, I can tell you that for a start. This is walking the line to Audiophool territory.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agree. Cables and Stands…
Heart’s in the right place, though. ;)

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the article. You’re answering a question that is Often asked on this and other online sites. Better than asking someone at a big box retailer that has limited inventory and where the salesperson May not be very knowledgeable. You also stayed on budget which is also a challenge with an entire system. I have had positive experiences with Marantz AVRs and SVS subs and cables but not with Focal. Agree with matching stands where the speakers bolt to the stands for stability and security. heartbreak can be only an accidental bump away With bookshelves in my experience.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Such dislike for audio bling. :D $88 out of $3500 ain't so bad. If you can't hide the wires, might as well get something that looks nice and is functional. Stands are a personal preference but is it the look or price? $250 is not that much more than I paid for my VTI stands. What I prefer is something that will hide the cables and the ones listed have cable management. I think the one photo is off. The top plate is in fact smaller than the speaker so the other photo (with the 3 models) is correct, where the top plate is hidden. The photo with the top plate sticking out doesn't look right. That would definitely bother me.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Generally a solid list. For my own tastes, I would replace the speakers and sub with a pair of Polk Reserve R700s. I would trade in the Marantz for something with a bit more power too. But the Theva speakers and SB-2000 Pro are good stuff for sure.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Generally a solid list. For my own tastes, I would replace the speakers and sub with a pair of Polk Reserve R700s. I would trade in the Marantz for something with a bit more power too. But the Theva speakers and SB-2000 Pro are good stuff for sure.
I didn't reply to this thread because I have bitched about 50 watt amps enough and this article isn't really pointed at me. Just good to see someone else mention the power thing.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I'd swap out the speakers for a pair of RBH 85i towers. Those seem to be an interesting pair of speakers. Keep the Sub, agree swap out the Marantz.:)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'd swap out the speakers for a pair of RBH 85i towers. Those seem to be an interesting pair of speakers. Keep the Sub, agree swap out the Marantz.:)
Yea this article was written before the RBH towers were announced. I also want to wait until James publishes his review of those speakers and assuming they do well, I will do a 2CH system based on using them. thanks

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Yea this article was written before the RBH towers were announced. I also want to wait until James publishes his review of those speakers and assuming they do well, I will do a 2CH system based on using them. thanks
Thanks Gene for the comment! If I didn't already have a pair of RBH towers, those RBH 85i's would be in my HT setup. My HT room isn't that big about 12' X 14'. James stated Polk's R700's which are a very good recommendation also. Probably be too much for my room. For say, a mid/small room those 85i's paired with that SVS sealed sub would probably be a excellent match.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks Gene for the comment! If I didn't already have a pair of RBH towers, those RBH 85i's would be in my HT setup. My HT room isn't that big about 12' X 14'. James stated Polk's R700's which are a very good recommendation also. Probably be too much for my room. For say, a mid/small room those 85i's paired with that SVS sealed sub would probably be a excellent match.
The stand-mount Impression series would be better when a subwoofer is in use. The 85-i is the one to get if you don't want to bother with a sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis