Upcoming Audioholics Reviews!

T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
I know I'll probably be villified for this, but how about some reviews of low-end cheap speakers like Fluance or Streem? Both have some bipole surround speakers that are interesting.
About Paradigm, do review samples have to be sent by the manufacturer? Are there legal ramifications with buying samples in stores?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
About Paradigm, do review samples have to be sent by the manufacturer? Are there legal ramifications with buying samples in stores?
We don't consider purchasing speakers with our own money from a store just so we can do a review on them since the company doesn't want us to, a good idea. We don't have interest in giving a company free press when they made it clear they don't want to work with us. Thanks.

T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
Gene, good point, I hadn't thought of that.
Buckeyefan 1, thanks for the link. Interesting reading. Goes to show that there's more to speakers than driver size & type.

T

tlmacaddino

Audiophyte
What ever happened to the planned review of the Denon DVD-5910?

03/10/06: As Ben Stein once said "Anyone? Anyone?"

Last edited:
I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
gene said:
We don't consider purchasing speakers with our own money from a store just so we can do a review on them since the company doesn't want us to, a good idea. We don't have interest in giving a company free press when they made it clear they don't want to work with us. Thanks.
Hmm, well here's a dicotomy here. If the idea for reviews is to "advertise for them," then the review will be impartial, and readers are forced to read through the lines because if you give a objective/non-positive review, you won't get more review samples later (aka stereophile and John Atkinson's healthy endorsement of "anything" that comes through his door; the last paragraph is the most important in all stereophile reviews--"They show great engineering and were great speakers better than many worth two or three times more, EXCEPT I perferred not to see "insert frequency response variations, cabinet resonance, poor spectral decay, weak voice coils lending to a thin sound at high volumes, etc).

If you do review based on products you buy (and return; which might cost less than return shipping to the vendor), then you can give objective reviews without fear; aka, it's an "owners review."

With the prior, the readers basically read a review that's identical to any/every other speaker, and have to scour 1 or 2 sentences in a 2-3 page review in very nebulous terms that actually describes the speakers shortcomings, and even then those sentences are all dressed up in nice-talk. With the later we can get an objective review.

If Audioholics gives objective reviews and relies on vendors to provide samples, then very soon they (ALL) will get smart and refuse. This would hurt Audioholics ability to get review samples and for the readers to benefit. For one thing, nobody else does speaker shootouts like Audioholics--I think these are the "real" reviews, because you get to compare to real products, rather than see two pages of "listener reviews" with various CDs (that are different for every speaker you review, thus no objective comparison; and lacking objective references, when is a speaker ever "bad" sounding?) or the often nebulous "it's a great speaker, certain shortfalls, but understandable for its price, and also, it's better than products 2 and 3 times its price"...well every speaker falls into that category; you can just use Bose or some other extremely low price/performance speaker as your unnamed "more expensive product.

Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone, I just let go of my mind online alot, so feel free to criticize what I have to say; it's fair game.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If Audioholics gives objective reviews and relies on vendors to provide samples, then very soon they (ALL) will get smart and refuse. This would hurt Audioholics ability to get review samples and for the readers to benefit.
Hmm, we have been in business now for over 7 years and currently have the industries largest reader base so I don't think this is a likely scenario. Legitimate manufacturers align themselves with us because they know we give thorough and sometimes brutally honest reviews. If the manufacturer is confident with their product, they will submit them to us with no worries.

For one thing, nobody else does speaker shootouts like Audioholics
Thanks for the compliment.

--I think these are the "real" reviews, because you get to compare to real products, rather than see two pages of "listener reviews" with various CDs (that are different for every speaker you review, thus no objective comparison; and lacking objective references, when is a speaker ever "bad" sounding?) or the often nebulous "it's a great speaker, certain shortfalls, but understandable for its price, and also, it's better than products 2 and 3 times its price"...well every speaker falls into that category; you can just use Bose or some other extremely low price/performance speaker as your unnamed "more expensive product.
We usually provide objective measurements and analysis on all but entry level products. In fact, lately our subwoofer reviews seem more dedicated to measurements and performance and this is no coincidence.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Your statement about not giving free "ink" to vendors that won't send you review samples makes a lot of sense, especially when looking at higher end items.

Maybe it would work (make a profit) to treat lower cost speakers differently. Speaker shootout IV and the current Onyx thread have been very active. Paradigm, and others, get plenty of mention on the forums without any cooperation on their part.

I think it might be viable to buy sub $500/pair (or $400 or $600) speakers that could be grouped for a shootout, and then auction them off after the review. If you sign the samples as "genuine Audioholics test samples", you might even sell them above retail. Everybody wins - more shootouts, more profits. PM me, & I'll let you know what pair of speakers I'd like to get for sending you this idea :)

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
I would like to see a review of the iPod Hi Fi

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My wish list of reviews

a.) PSB image or platinum series speakers ( I know you saw this coming :D )
b.) NAD receivers
c.) Some turntables, Music Hall, Rega Planar, NAD

So how about it? Huh? huh? huh? keep up the good work!!

B

BTT917

Audioholic Intern
1) Either the Sony DVP-NS75H or DVP-CX995V.

2) The upcoming Pioneer VSX-1016TX.

3) The Emotiva UL's from AV123.

C

chasw98

Enthusiast
What about reviewing either of the new Ascend SE speaskers, the 340 or the 170? And as long as I am wishing, what about budget (or under $2500.00) pre/pro shootout? Just my .02. Thanks, you do a great job without my advice.

Chuck

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Continue supporting the video side. Personnaly I would like to see the Epson 550 reviewed (since I bought one and love it - but anything would be an improvement over my 10 year old Sony LCD :D )

D

Duffman-OOHYEAH

Junior Audioholic
Alot of forum goers ask about the best bookself for < 4-500$. why not another budget shootout with the internet only companys, Axiom m3, Aperion, Ascend 170se, Onix x-ls (I know Alot cheaper than the others but it should hold it's own);). Does rbh produce any "cheap" speakers?

JR

PHYSTRAINER

PHYSTRAINER

Audioholic Intern
Would love to see a reveiw on the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's from a price/vs/sound standpoint in a shootout of other brands similiar size and price.
Maybe not be available readily in the states but i am sure some of the australasians would love to hear your thoughts.

F

freeflap

Audioholic Intern
upcoming review

please add some onix speakers to your review:

ref3, rocket 850 rocket 1000

thx

i'd love to see a comparison between the axiom and onix speakers. both are highly regarded direct mail speakers.
thx

M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
I really enjoy and appreciate the info here. Would love to see a review of the Radient Elara speakers

S

squire.10@osu.e

Audioholic Intern
Any plans to review some of Outlaw Audio's electronics (e.g. pre/pro's or power amps)? They seem to be highly regarded, and their prices seem reasonable, too. I enjoyed the review of their LFM-1 subwoofer, and that seemed to indicate a manufacturer that makes good products. That review was 2 years ago, though! Maybe some other readers could weigh in with their own experience with Outlaw's components--especially the 900-series pre/pro's and multichannel amps. Thanks.

D

davo

Full Audioholic
Wouldn't it be nice...

...to have my potentially new a/v receiver, the NAD T973 reveiwed by some top bloke at Audioholics. Do you contact manufacturers or just wait by the mail box to see what comes in? Just curious, keep up the great work.

P.S. I shut down a sales rep at a top(middle) shelf store thanks to what I've learned at Audioholics. Power to the plebs.:D

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
Ascend CMT 340SE --- I want to know how these stack up compared to floorstanders and the m22ti. Also please include some pictures, I've yet to see what the 340SE looks like compared to the 340 original.

Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis