Trained Audiophiles Fooled by a Blind Listening Test?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Are those the shows where everyone is cranking their equipment, to make sure EVERYONE on the planet can hear them? Yeah, I remember going to CES and hating it by the end of the day.
In Montreal since the late 1950's, there have been many audio shows organized in hotels almost annually for a weekend. Now, it's an A/V show still put up in a hotel in many rooms..
At the time of the audio shows, most rooms were occupied by manufacturers' reps where you could get accurate answers to you questions, compared to answers that you would get nowadays from a store salesperson who doesn't know bugger-all on the stuff which he/she sells.

To my recollection of the period in the late 1950's to the 1960's, manufacturers' reps were not the type to crank their equipment. But now some of the store reps are the ones who like to crank their equipment. I no longer go and visit those shows every year as I did many years ago, even if it's now free for a person of my age. There isn't much new that is interesting and I'm not looking for new stuff.

Moreover, I CAN GET ALL THE INTERESTING INFO ON NEW PRODUCTS FROM THIS WONDERFUL SITE.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
In Montreal since the late 1950's, there have been many audio shows organized in hotels almost annually for a weekend. Now, it's an A/V show still put up in a hotel in many rooms..
At the time of the audio shows, most rooms were occupied by manufacturers' reps where you could get accurate answers to you questions, compared to answers that you would get nowadays from a store salesperson who doesn't know bugger-all on the stuff which he/she sells.

To my recollection of the period in the late 1950's to the 1960's, manufacturers' reps were not the type to crank their equipment. But now some of the store reps are the ones who like to crank their equipment. I no longer go and visit those shows every year as I did many years ago, even if it's now free for a person of my age. There isn't much new that is interesting and I'm not looking for new stuff.

Moreover, I CAN GET ALL THE INTERESTING INFO ON NEW PRODUCTS FROM THIS WONDERFUL SITE.
The manufacturer's hotel suites weren't bad but when CES was happening at McCormick Place in Chicago, it was just noise. Lots of noise. And the manufacturers eventually became tired of spending so much for one weekend of displaying, but it took days to set up. Sony stopped going to CES in about '83 and went around the country, hosting 'pre-shows'. Dealers could make the same deals, but didn't need to pay the same $1+ million for CES.

Parts of CES were good- I got to meet with people I didn't see during the rest of the year and some, for several years.

And the non-stop serving pan loads of deep fried Shrimp at the Sanyo hospitality suite was outstanding.

You wouldn't believe the BS that flops out of the mouths of sales reps now- how far the industry has fallen.....OTOH, some reps have been full of crap for decades.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Does he test for microdynamics?
Cables! Did you say cables! Slowly I turn, step, by step, inch by inch (old vaudeville routine the 3 stooges did to perfection). I hope they were made and stored in a sealed cryogenic chamber deep inside the Himalayas or in Malaysia. And they should never ever touch the floor.

highfigh

highfigh

Cables! Did you say cables! Slowly I turn, step, by step, inch by inch (old vaudeville routine the 3 stooges did to perfection). I hope they were made and stored in a sealed cryogenic chamber deep inside the Himalayas or in Malaysia. And they should never ever touch the floor.
"It was a dark and stormy night...."

highfigh

highfigh

'Once upon a time in a land far far away'.......
"Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin."

K

kristiansen

Audiophyte
If you hadn't used blind tests, tried to trick the listener, you would have quickly moved on instead of misleading the listener and getting a wrong result, this is the most important lesson to be learnt from such idiotic experiments and the use of blind tests in audio in general
There is nothing new about humans being easily influenced or making mistakes..

D

David Harper

Audioholic Intern
"that which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens.
This is the ultimate answer to golden eared audiophiles.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You are correct, there is nothing new at all about humans being easily influenced, which was the entire point. Newsflash: the purpose of the study to was to prove bias exists, which it succeeded in doing.

DBT = 1, Golden Ears = 0

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis