Top 10 Guitar Players all genres

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Hstar said:
I'll bet more music has been because of this post than could be imagined. Of all these posts all, are good i have my opinions on some of them though,(Zeppelin amazing band collectively. Not real impressed separately. I guess they just fedd off each other to become rock icons) I can't believe that Lindsey Buckingham was only mentioned once. A few that do need mention:
James Burton?- (Elvis's lead guitar)
Justin Haywood- (Moody Blues, known more for his lyrics)
John Denver- (Amazing how he could finger pick a 12 sting)
David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Grahm Nash
Jerry Garcia- I've just read about his accoustic work, Need to find some.
Gary Moore- Thin Lizzy
Tommy Shaw- Awsome
What about Kenny Loggins, Gordon Lightfoot, Jim Croce?
Chris Thompsan & Steve Waller (Both from Manfred Mann's Earth Band)
Kiss Would have gone nowhere without Ace Frehley. I think Stanley is a legend in his own mind.
As you can see, I'm more into accoustic guitar than electric. These are just a few of my thoughts. It would be fun to read a sting like this on Drummers. That would be good as well.
LMAO. Guess you never saw LZ. Bet you didnt know that Buddy Rich said that JB was one of the best drummers he had heard. JP,i wonder why the best always say he is one of them,just to be nice? I saw a tribute of bands doing LZ songs. Almost every singer said they were spent after singing RP stuff{one song}. They just didnt know how he did it. They said he was so powerful that they couldnt do a concert of his material. JPJ,theres a reason he has collaborated with a few groups like Heart,REM,Ben E King,Foo Fighters and others,because they know how good he is. Cant take 4 piles of crap and make gold.

H

hogfan

Audioholic Intern
Style

Artist that transend time. Men whose music stays fresh, music I've listened to for decades & sometimes months!
Tony Iommi- Black Sabbath
Robin Trower-Uriah Heep-solo
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Nuno Bettencourt- EXTREME, My current favorite
Chet Atkins-MR. Nashville
Billy Gibbons-ZZ TOP
Alex Lifeson- Rush
Lee Ritnoir-solo, gun for hire.David Gilmore-Pink Floyd
Nuno Bettencourt -Where is he now, I want more music. I like these guys because their style is the hook for me. Its not one song but the crafting of the music, the notes are floating as feathers, or aggressive bullies. Everyone has great choices that fill all genre.:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I've already listed my picks

and I leaned towards the rock genre. I've followed this thread and if he hasn't been memtioned already, then D... Dale!!! Now, those were some cool riffs!!:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
No one's mentioned this guy, he's very low-key, been around forever. Remember the outrageous rythm guitar parts in Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistable" and "Addicted to Love?"

Eddie Martinez (leads by Andy Taylor of Duran Duran and Powerstation)

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
Dave van Ronk for acoustic work. Jeff Beck for his inventiveness. Albert collins for his very distinctive sound. Hound dog Taylor for his ability to get a set shaking. Frank Zappa for using his guitar style as the the core of his very distinctive creations.

beck

Pac-man

Audiophyte
my opinion

i hope everyone realises that this is opinion as it wud be impossible 2 measure a guitarist playing abilities

1)john williams
2)peter green
3)santana
4)jimmy hendrix
5)jimmy page
6)eric clapton

im only 12 :D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Pac-man.

Welcome to the site, there are many ways to gauge a guitar player. You might not care for a certain style of music (jazz versus metal), but you most certainly can gauge a musician's proficiency with his intrument. The most obvious is to hear him/her play live; educate yourself by listening to other artists that play the same intrument in different genres of music, read critiques, but most of all listen, listen and listen. Immerse yourself in the music, over time you'll be able to tell players just by their style. Change music genres, give them a try, it'll broaden your horizons, you'll appreciate music on different levels and on your journey you'll become educated to the differences between style, substance, and proficiency. A million notes a second doesn't make a great guitar player, sustaining a note for 10 minutes doesn't make a great guitar player. A good musician is a combination of many
facets of the craft.:)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have been a fan of Lindsey Buckingham for a long time, but seeing his acoustic solos on Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" DVD was still a revelation. I didn't know anybody could play like that! He is now my top pick.
Others include Joe Satriani, Hendrix (of course), Chet Atkins, John McLaughlin, Bill Frisell, Robert Fripp, and Armik (new age/flamenco.)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I can't believe no one's mentioned MUDDY WATERS! Legend.:cool:

H

Hemlock

Junior Audioholic
Waters played Bass in Pink floyd, saw him mentioned there at least twice for Guitar.

Props to McLaughlin mentions, any other guitarists have Miles Davis songs named after them? Didn't think so.

you guys are all dead on.

adding Pete Cosey and Reggie Lucas, Miles Davis Band 73ish-75.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hemlock said:
Waters played Bass in Pink floyd, saw him mentioned there at least twice for Guitar.

Props to McLaughlin mentions, any other guitarists have Miles Davis songs named after them? Didn't think so.

you guys are all dead on.

adding Pete Cosey and Reggie Lucas, Miles Davis Band 73ish-75.
Hey Hemlock,

You got your Waters confused, Muddy Waters: bluesman, guitar extraordinaire, thought to be biggest influence in delta blues along with Robert Johnson being the most predominant, according to some music critics. You're thinking of Roger Waters.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
stratman said:
Hey Hemlock,

You got your Waters confused, Muddy Waters: bluesman, guitar extraordinaire, thought to be biggest influence in delta blues along with Robert Johnson being the most predominant, according to some music critics. You're thinking of Roger Waters.
I considered mentioning that, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt by assuming he was joking!:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Joe Schmoe said:
I considered mentioning that, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt by assuming he was joking!:D
I thought so too! But, Muddy is Muddy:D

H

Hemlock

Junior Audioholic
ha, no there are two mentions of Roger Waters as playing guitar in Pink Floyd.

one say Roger Waters, and the other says guitarist from Pink Floyd gilmore/waters?

I know who Muddy Waters is, it's just a coincidenc ethat I was replying to posts about Roger Waters on like the 4th or 5th page and you guys brought up Muddy Waters on the pages right before where my post shows up.

it's a cosmic Conspiracy.

plus I have the annoying habit of always reading ENTIRE threads before replying...:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Here are a few more not posted:

Jeff "skunk" Baxter -Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers.

Craig Chaquico- Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship.

Hiram Bullock- Studio great, has played with everyone.

Peter White- Al "Year of The Cat" Stewart (nylon string), solo career.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
stratman said:
Craig Chaquico- Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship.
I thought that was Jorma Kaukonen?:confused:
That solo on "Year of the Cat" is an all-time classic, good call.:)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Joe Schmoe said:
I thought that was Jorma Kaukonen?:confused:
That solo on "Year of the Cat" is an all-time classic, good call.:)

Paul Kantner of JA saw Chaquico at a couple of clubs in the SF area and was impressed with the kid(16 years old.) He ended up cutting an album with Kantner and Grace Slick, by this time JA was headed in a different direction and Kaukonen was no longer involved, infact at this time he was co-founding Hot Tuna, I think it was 69 or 70. In 72 Chaquico officialy joined the new Jefferson Starship.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Genius!!!!

Canadian born Jeff Healy, blind from eye cancer since the age of one. At 3 years of age picks up the guitar, invents his own tecnique. B.B. King, Albert Collins, SRV all call him prodigy, genius. Amazing. My friend reminded me of him the other day, I almost felt ashamed I hadn't mentioned Jeff.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
stratman said:
Someone did mention Steve Hackett? right? He played on Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees, along with most of the guys that became TOTO.

Sorry about that I meant Fred Tackett of Little Feat, though I had Steve Hackett on my mind.:p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis