R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
hey AH family its been a while since i've posted on here - last time it was discussing my subwoofer purchase! i'm now the happy owner (for now lol) of TWO HSU VTF3-MK3's :) that i picked up for around 900 shipped.

BUT that's not the topic here - I'm looking to upgrade my entire 5 speaker surround sound system! I will at least break even w/ what I paid for the entire setup which is AMAZING! So I'll have all the cash plus around 500 to throw at my new setup.

Budget ~ $1000 for 2 mains, center, 2 surrounds

I currently have
Polk Monitor 70 II
Polk Monitor40 II (now sold)
Polk Monitor CS2 II (now sold)
powered by Yamaha Aventage RXA-3000

I have three questions
1. What brands/product lines should I be considering to replace the Polk Monitor setup I have? I would like to buy USED if I can (i've found some KILLER deals on eBay like a pair of B&W 683's and Polk RTIA7's for around 500 shipped)
*The goal is to step up big time in quality w/o stepping up big time w/ the wallet and from sold listings I know its completely possible!

3. I had monitor40 bookshelf speakers as my surrounds but both the 600 series and rti series, (and others i may consider i'm sure will) have true dipole surround speakers - should I forget the bookshelf options in those series for their dipole surround speaker options? (I think I know the answer to this but I wanted some input)

2. Would my AVR or the addition of an external amp be appropriate/beneficial to power my speakers? (side note - does anyone know if the yamaha automatically drives the speakers with as much power available or can you step up the power to the max?) I've heard monitors are "power hungry" and if they sound good its when they are played LOUD! Not sure if that's due to my AVR being unable to power the monitors adequately or what.

**The monitors are nice but i got spoiled by my dad owning legacy whispers, martin logan electrostatics, and having listened to wilson watt puppies and many other HIGH end setups so i'm not easily impressed anymore unfortunately hahaha :) I'm looking for a speaker that can give impressive detail and adequate SPL's when played even at moderate volume.

So to start i've come up with two options that are higher end than my monitors that are still w/ in my budget - polk rti7 or 9 and b&w 683

educate me! :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
NHT, KEF, Revel......the accurate speakers.

If you've auditioned the B&W 683 and loved it, then get them.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
NHT, KEF, Revel......the accurate speakers.

If you've auditioned the B&W 683 and loved it, then get them.
at this point i have not auditioned any of the b&w line or anything polk except for what i own. thanks for the tip on those 3 brands i'll check them out.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
those focals would be 800 shipped alone for just the mains...i've never heard focals before but thats some ridiculous markdown (or markup! lol) on that link you sent me
The speakers are on close-out pricing.

They are under $50 shipping for me - you must be outside the USA.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
The OP gave a $1000 budget for 5.0. While I have liked the Focal, Kef, NHT & B&W I've heard, and read great things about the Revels, they may not offer the best option at that price range... with Revel's pricing, I'm not sure they are an option. If they are I have some listening to do :)

I would choose the LSI over any other polk line, but they may not fit in your budget, even used.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
The speakers are on close-out pricing.

They are under $50 shipping for me - you must be outside the USA.
no i'm from CT - i just rounded up three dollars lol and they're available on ebay and sold for 730 i think w/c is better but still a lot.

The OP gave a $1000 budget for 5.0. While I have liked the Focal, Kef, NHT & B&W I've heard, and read great things about the Revels, they may not offer the best option at that price range... with Revel's pricing, I'm not sure they are an option. If they are I have some listening to do :)

I would choose the LSI over any other polk line, but they may not fit in your budget, even used.
yeah i'm not looking for any speaker w/ built in subwoofers b/c i have two HSU's already

and that budget may be able to be extended by ~500 bucks or so if i sell my m audio dsm2 studio monitors w/c i'm not even using right now lol

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Ascend Acoustics 5.0 package (340SE L/C/R with 170SE bookshelves) comes in at ~$1150 shipped.. That's for a new set though if you decide you don't want used

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Funny, the numerical ordering of you questions.

1. I have heard a tiny fraction of what's out there (I've heard lots and lots, but it's still a tiny fraction), but I do like Ascend speakers at the price point (not pretty though), and as for used, I'd consider PSB Images if the used pricing is good right now on the previous gen. They don't quite image as well as Ascend bookshelves, I think, subjectively, and are maybe not quite as clear on the top end, but they can pack a punch for what they are. (They're not big ugly commercial speakers, and they're not designed on an unlimited budget.)

3. I would definitely forget dipoles in your situation. Now if they happen to be available in the lineup you choose, incidentally, and you REALLY want them, you can save towards them. But know that dipoles are best used in rather particular setups (start googling and searching around if you want to know more). I would prefer (just as much out of necessity) bipoles to dipoles for surrounds, and currently use bipoles, and even with that said, I think either* are overrated for surround use- I guess I don't much stock into "surround design". (You can find some that are switchable between both modes.) It REALLY is about the front three speakers, both in choice, and in placement. The steering of audio within the front three, the dialogue, the impact, etc. My opinion only, of course. But finally I get to the most salient point I wanted to make: dipoles or bipoles for that matter just simply will eat up too much budget; they have double the woofers and tweeters, and that obviously comes at a price. Now, if your budget had an extra zero next to it, sure, go for it! Or not even that much, but I think it's just too tough right now to think about.

2. It depends. You could for the meanwhile measure your db levels obtained/desired at your LP, measure the distance from ears to speakers, and a bit less importantly, the dimensions of the room. Then someone may have an opinion on the need for external amp with a specific candidate for speaker in mind.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
Ascend Acoustics 5.0 package (340SE L/C/R with 170SE bookshelves) comes in at ~$1150 shipped.. That's for a new set though if you decide you don't want used
yeah i'm looking to buy used or closeout new etc. to get a great speaker for a budget price

how good are those ascends?

Infinity P363 is on sale at Frys for 117ea.
would those be a significant upgrade from the monitors? by the price it doesn't look like it but i could be wrong

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
Funny, the numerical ordering of you questions.

1. I have heard a tiny fraction of what's out there (I've heard lots and lots, but it's still a tiny fraction), but I do like Ascend speakers at the price point (not pretty though), and as for used, I'd consider PSB Images if the used pricing is good right now on the previous gen. They don't quite image as well as Ascend bookshelves, I think, subjectively, and are maybe not quite as clear on the top end, but they can pack a punch for what they are. (They're not big ugly commercial speakers, and they're not designed on an unlimited budget.)

3. I would definitely forget dipoles in your situation. Now if they happen to be available in the lineup you choose, incidentally, and you REALLY want them, you can save towards them. But know that dipoles are best used in rather particular setups (start googling and searching around if you want to know more). I would prefer (just as much out of necessity) bipoles to dipoles for surrounds, and currently use bipoles, and even with that said, I think either* are overrated for surround use- I guess I don't much stock into "surround design". (You can find some that are switchable between both modes.) It REALLY is about the front three speakers, both in choice, and in placement. The steering of audio within the front three, the dialogue, the impact, etc. My opinion only, of course. But finally I get to the most salient point I wanted to make: dipoles or bipoles for that matter just simply will eat up too much budget; they have double the woofers and tweeters, and that obviously comes at a price. Now, if your budget had an extra zero next to it, sure, go for it! Or not even that much, but I think it's just too tough right now to think about.

2. It depends. You could for the meanwhile measure your db levels obtained/desired at your LP, measure the distance from ears to speakers, and a bit less importantly, the dimensions of the room. Then someone may have an opinion on the need for external amp with a specific candidate for speaker in mind.
from what i'm finding most lineups in my budget do not have dipoles save the b&ws and polks

oh and i forgot to say this - those are bookshelf style - i mean i "can" make that happen w/ my entertainment center but it wouldn't be ideal placement by any means and i'm not fond of stands - i'd rather go for a floor standing pair

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
okay so i'm going to sell my m audio dsm2's so that will get me an additional 500 to 850 to add to the price just FYI

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
so theres a KEF Q900 single speaker on ebay right now that ends in 3hrs or so that is only at 88$ w/ 65 shipping - should i go for it and hope another pops up? its a stupid low price for that speaker but the risk is finding a second

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
so theres a KEF Q900 single speaker on ebay right now that ends in 3hrs or so that is only at 88$ w/ 65 shipping - should i go for it and hope another pops up? its a stupid low price for that speaker but the risk is finding a second
What? Are you sure it's not defective or broken or something?

Hell, yeah, I would buy the Q900 for $88 +s/h.

You could get another pair from A4L or Vanns for $1250 or close and do Q900 x 3 for the front. If you have space for a center tower.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
haha no its not broken its just an open box
if i get it at least i would be committing to a certain setup but idk if i could find a second speaker and id rather not have 3 towers but two a center and two rear surrounds
i haven't heard kef at all and i have 0 time to audition as it ends in 2 hrs so idk lol

what should i put as a max bid?

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
looks like they're about 700 shipped for one speaker so i could get a pair for ~850 if i grab the one on ebay for cheap

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
haha no its not broken its just an open box
if i get it at least i would be committing to a certain setup but idk if i could find a second speaker and id rather not have 3 towers but two a center and two rear surrounds
i haven't heard kef at all and i have 0 time to audition as it ends in 2 hrs so idk lol

what should i put as a max bid?
Unless you're doing Q900 x 3, I wouldn't buy it. But I say $150 + shipping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis